Yi to Philly?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Smitty, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">On the Internet, the speculation was that Yi's agent, Dan Fegan, is inviting teams lower than the top 10 to see his client.

All sorts of theories were swirling after the 76ers attended a private workout of 6-foot-11 Chinese power forward Yi Jianlian yesterday in Southern California. The rumblings suggested that Yi may be fading in the June 28 draft and that the Sixers, who pick 12th, 21st and 30th in the first round, could have a legitimate shot at him.</div>

Source

2. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I doubt the Bulls would pass on Yi at number nine. I would love to see Yi in Philadelphia but considering we are not on his approved list of teams I think it may be an issue. I wonder if his agent is adding these teams to the approval list or what.

3. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I'd like to see him in a 76ers uni as well. This team may have the worst core of big men in the league.

4. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Blur Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I doubt the Bulls would pass on Yi at number nine. I would love to see Yi in Philadelphia but considering we are not on his approved list of teams I think it may be an issue. I wonder if his agent is adding these teams to the approval list or what.</div>

An approved list of teams? I don't like this guy already. Obviously I'm not the biggest fan of Yi, however if we draft him he'll certainly have his opportunity to prove me wrong. I'd much rather see somebody like Jeff Green or Julian Wright fall in our lap.

This isn't baseball Yi; to the best of my knowledge you have to sign with the team you're drafted as. That is unless he pulls a Fran Vazquez and heads back overseas, yet another reason why not to pick the kid. We're desperate for a big, but this kid will be thrown around in the post.

5. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">C.K. Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">An approved list of teams? I don't like this guy already. Obviously I'm not the biggest fan of Yi, however if we draft him he'll certainly have his opportunity to prove me wrong. I'd much rather see somebody like Jeff Green or Julian Wright fall in our lap.

This isn't baseball Yi; to the best of my knowledge you have to sign with the team you're drafted as. That is unless he pulls a Fran Vazquez and heads back overseas, yet another reason why not to pick the kid. We're desperate for a big, but this kid will be thrown around in the post.</div>
    The approved list of teams is only referring to his workout schedule. Agents will usually restrict workouts to teams that they think will most likely draft them: they don't go too high because its a waste of time/energy and they don't give workouts to teams too low because there's the chance it lowers their draft stock. Yi's not the only one doing this, most of your college boys are too.

I still think you guys would be lucky to get Jianlian at your pick.

6. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

If its not possible for us to trade up and get horford or wright, then Yi would be our next best choice. I wouldnt be dissapointed at all if we picked him up. But im still hoping king can pull off a trade to get us into the top 5.

7. Diesel

Diesel BBW Member

I highly, highly, highly doubt that Yi will fall down to the 12th pick in the draft. I doubt Sacramento would pass him up if he fell to them or even Milwaukee at Number 6. I love how he can play like a guy like T-mac even though he's 7 feet. Reminds me of Duncan in his early years before he had that injury in 2000.

If he does fall to us though I would take him without hesitation.

8. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

I don't like Yi, I've never liked Yi, I just hope to god we don't us our 21st or 30th picks to trade up for him. I honestly think he will be a bust. There's just too many question marks about the guy. Who knows how well his game will translate into the NBA? Also, he has tons of questions about his age as well. I'm just hoping we can somehow find out how old he really is. I've heard he was as young as 22, and as old as 25

9. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't like Yi, I've never liked Yi, I just hope to god we don't us our 21st or 30th picks to trade up for him. I honestly think he will be a bust. There's just too many question marks about the guy. Who knows how well his game will translate into the NBA? Also, he has tons of questions about his age as well. I'm just hoping we can somehow find out how old he really is. I've heard he was as young as 22, and as old as 25</div>

There's no way he's as old as 25, and the talk about him being borned in 1984 are just rumours, nothing more. There's no clear evidence from the hospitals or anything that he was born then and his passport and records show that he was born in 1987. I don't think he'll be a bust, and he's definitely going to translate into the NBA faster and easier Yao did when he was a rookie. Yi has the size and speed to get up and down the court easily, which Yao had trouble with, Yi has been living in America for a while speaking english fluently, driving around his own, basically living the American lifestyle, while Yao is still living with his parents. We're going to see Yi playing in the summer league which will help transition his game to America, while Yao came to America in the middle of training camp.

The scouting reports and coverage on this guy proves to me that he won't be a bust, I don't even see why you think that way.

10. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

There are legitimate reasons to question Yi, but I've yet to see anyone bring them up. It's just the usual crap people throw around when a foreign player's about to be drafted.

11. skip

skip BBW Member

I can see Yi being another Bargnani. Everyone was calling Bargnani a bust even before he was drafted, most likely just because they haven't seen him play in Italy or because he is foreign. I hope Yi proves everyone wrong just like Andrea did.