Yi's summer league

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by thedude9990, Jul 6, 2007.

1. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

umm at half time of his first summer league game he has 14 points 3 rebounds and a block, but he has 6 fouls and 5 turnovers... thoughts thus far abuot his foul and turn over problems

2. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Quit complaining. It's his first game against American players and this is as bad as he's gonna play when it comes to the NBA, then he's gonna be nice when his game is translated and polished up. Yao in his rookie season was skinny as hell, but now he's buff, twice as tougher, both mentally and physically. It's just going to get better for Yi as he gets training with NBA trainers, he's gonna be good in this league.

3. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

Why is he playing for the Bucks if he hasn't signed with them yet?

4. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why is he playing for the Bucks if he hasn't signed with them yet?</div>

He's not on the Bucks summer league team, he's playing for China

5. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Quit complaining. It's his first game against American players and this is as bad as he's gonna play when it comes to the NBA, then he's gonna be nice when his game is translated and polished up. Yao in his rookie season was skinny as hell, but now he's buff, twice as tougher, both mentally and physically. It's just going to get better for Yi as he gets training with NBA trainers, he's gonna be good in this league.</div>

Actually, he's played in the Olympics against American players before. He's played against better American players than those currently on the Memphis summer league team too.

But I don't think this will be how he will be playing in the NBA. Channing Frye had a bad game in the summer league too in his first year if i remember, where he reached double digits in fouls before rebounds, and now he's a decent player with upside.

6. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Quit complaining. It's his first game against American players and this is as bad as he's gonna play when it comes to the NBA, then he's gonna be nice when his game is translated and polished up. Yao in his rookie season was skinny as hell, but now he's buff, twice as tougher, both mentally and physically. It's just going to get better for Yi as he gets training with NBA trainers, he's gonna be good in this league.</div>

I'm not complaing i just thought the 6 fouls and 5 turnovers where interesting and wanted to see others reactions, i thought the bucks took a risk when they took him, he improved drastically in the second half commiting only one foul and one turnover. I'm sure Oden will have a similar game in the foul turnover department. i thought it would make an interesting discussion.

7. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">thedude9990 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not complaing i just thought the 6 fouls and 5 turnovers where interesting and wanted to see others reactions, i thought the bucks took a risk when they took him, he improved drastically in the second half commiting only one foul and one turnover. I'm sure Oden will have a similar game in the foul turnover department. i thought it would make an interesting discussion.</div>

The Bucks just made trouble for themselves drafting a guy that wasn't interested in playing for them, more importantly a guy that they don't even need on their roster. At first, I expected a draft and trade after the pick, which would've been pretty smart but to be honest, I don't think Yi will make the Bucks into an elite Eastern Conference team. I think Yi will have a nice 3 years with the Bucks, but will jet to a high asian populated area team.

8. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Yi got dunked on by Rudy Gay. lol.

9. magicfrankie

magicfrankie JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Umair Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yi got dunked on by Rudy Gay. lol.</div>

Yeah, but in the play before that play Yi dunked on Gay.. and got fouled..

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

It looks like Rudy Gay dunked on him twice and afterwards gave him an 'Don't try, my son!' kind of look.

Anyway, summer league is a poor indicator of how successful a player will become on the next level. It's basically NCAA competition all over again. Nikoloz Tskitishvili was the MVP a couple of summers ago and his career high in PPG is 3.9 on 29% shooting in 81 games with Denver his rookie season.

Frye, as was mentioned, had a game where he had 10 fouls (the refs there are extremely whistle-friendly) and Ike Diogu had a 40-point game (not saying he isn't talented, but he hasn't been too impressive on the next level). At the end of the day, the best way we'll be able to gauge the ability of Yi and every other rookie in the class, is through preseason at least.

11. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

Yi did pretty well offensively in his first game, 23 points on 7-15 shooting and 9-12 from the line, even showing emotion in the game against Rudy Gay. But he also finished with 7 turnovers and 7 fouls.

But Yi along with the entire China team was crap against Sacremento, to whom they lost 49-73. Yi finished with 2-14 shooting, 5-6 from the line to end up with 9 pts, 7 boards, 2 asts, 3 steals, but five turnovers and four fouls. Not to mention Justin Williams and Spencer Hawes owned Team China offensively.

Yi Jianlian looks to be pretty bad defensively.