Young Celtic Evaluations

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by Living_Legend33, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Living_Legend33

Living_Legend33 BBW Member

Some fans I talk to think this young team is a lot more talented then it really is. This got me thinking about how good these players are and what they'll develop into. So anyway, here's my take and you should all share yours as well. Eventually Ainge will have to decide who to keep and who to let go, so just consider this an early evaluation.Al Jefferson - This guy improved so much this past season. I think he'll develop into an All-Star caliber player, but probably won't be a lock to make the team every year. Delonte West - I love the way this guy plays. Probably not a starter on a great team, but I think he's perfect in a backup combo guard role. Tony Allen - Depends on how he recovers. Before his injury he was playing very well, even though his decision making left something to be desired. If he gets back to his old form I think he's a great defensive stopper who can provide a spark off the bench or serve as the 4th or 5th option in an otherwise stacked starting lineup. Rajon Rondo - Not completely sure about this guy yet. He's got a ton of potential, I love his speed, quickness, defensive effort, and passing ability, but there's more to being a PG than that. I think he'll understand offense more as he gains experience and will eventually become a great PG...or he'll become Marcus Banks version 2.0. At this time I'm leaning toward the former.Gerald Green - I honestly have no idea about this guy. He's a phenomenal athlete and has a beautiful shot, but he's a train wreck defensively and has the basketball IQ of a turnip. He could turn into an All-Star or become a poster boy as to why there's a new age limit. It's just too early to tell, but my opinion of him has dropped significantly this year. Last season I didn't want to trade him for anyone. Now if the Celts could bring in an All-Star level player I'd give him up in an instant. Ryan Gomes - Another guy who has great hustle. I see him as a key contributor off the bench. He plays better as a SF but doesn't have the explosive scoring ability or sweet outside stroke needed to start. Kendrick Perkins - Backup Center for life. Sebastian Telfair - Backup PG on a bad team or a starter...in the Euroleague. He may develop into a decent player but at this point who is going to be willing to give him the time he needs for that? As of right now I'd say Jefferson is the only guy I'd give serious money to. I'd give West, Allen (if he's healthy) , and Gomes mid-level money. Need to see more development in Rondo and Green, but I'd keep them unless they demanded huge contracts or was offered a high caliber player and they needed to be part of the deal. Perkins and Telfair I couldn't care less about.

2. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that 100%.Allen is scary, he started off so poorly then started to turn it on.If he can be consistent and bounce back, he'll be a good first choice off the bench or starting SG, depending on who they draft and what they decide to do with Wally.

3. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

I don't think Rondo will become Marcus Banks II at all because Rondo is already better than Banks in making decisions in transition and a way better defender..guys like Devin Harris have gotten by without having a jumpshotI completely agree with Gerald...I feel the same way..at the beginning of the season I wouldn't give him up for virtually anybody..now I don't know..he's scored pretty well but that's pretty much it..he's sloppy and gets burned too much on defense and in transition...I just hope he can improve in the offseason..I know he will because he's determined to get better and be the best player he can be..hard workerAlso..seems like you're underestimating Gomes a bit..he is more then just a "hustle" guy..he's a smart basketball player that is in his 2nd season but plays like a veteran..he's easily the most consistent young gun on the Celtics and is the player who immedietly comes to mind other than Shane Battier when somebody says "Perfect role player"..that mid-range shot is so rare in the NBA today and he's even improving on his 3's which is gonna be deadly since he already has an inside game and a mid-range game (his best quality IMO)I pretty much don't have any objections to anything else

4. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Great topic, LL33. :dribble:

Al Jefferson
    I agree with LL33 on this one. I think he will become an All-Star player in this league, but will not be a virtual lock to be on the All-Star team every single year.

Delonte West
    I love Delonte, but I don't think he'll ever get all that much better than what he is right now. He is an excellent 3rd guard on any team, but he is not a starter.

Tony Allen
    Like LL33 said, it depends on how he recovers. We'll just have to wait and see, it's impossible to make a prediction on TA right now.

Rajon Rondo
    I'm sold that Rajon Rondo is the point guard of the future in Boston, and I think he is going to be a very good player in this league. I think his jumper will improve, but I don't think it will ever be anything better than average. But the fact is, he does EVERYTHING else well. Absolutely everything. He's got all the athletic ability, he's quick, he's an all out hustler, his basketball IQ is off the charts (especially for a 21 year old rookie point guard), he's arguably the best rebounding point guard since Jason Kidd, he pushes the ball, and he just simply makes things happen and runs the offense well. I'm sold that Rondo is the point guard of the future in Boston.

Gerald Green
    He's going to be a player. He clearly has the All-Star potential, only time will tell if he fulfills all of that potential. But I think he is at least going to be a Ricky Davis type of player (excellent scorer, can take anybody 1-on-1 when he's feeling it, burst of energy, highlight film every week, etc.), without the attitude issues Ricky had. I think he could be more than that, but I do think he will at least be a Ricky Davis type of player. Someone that can legitimately score 20 a night and is a devastating offensive player.

Ryan Gomes
    Gomes is a great 7th or 8th man on a good team. He is just so solid, he understands the game well, and he is a guy you can count on every single night. If he continues to extend his range and knock down that 3 with more consistency, he will be a Shane Battier-like "glue guy." No, that doesn't mean I think he'll be quite as good as Battier, but the same type of player.

Kendrick Perkins
    A good backup, not a starter.

Sebastian Telfair
    I think he will become a solid backup point guard in the NBA. He will not be a star, that's for sure, and he will not even come close to living up to his legendary praise he got in Brooklyn, but I think he'll be a solid backup. I don't see a kid with that kind of heart being in Europe in a year or two like some think.

Allan Ray
    Career journey-man, Eddie House 2.0.

Leon Powe
    He'll be in the league for a long time because of his work ethic, athleticism, and great hands. He most likely won't be a regular in a rotation, but he'll be a solid career 11th man type of guy.

Kevinn Pinkney
    I think he has a chance to make an NBA roster next year. I think he's good enough to be on a team, I really do. He doesn't have a future in Boston, but I hope the kid tags along with somebody else. I think at least, he'll get invited to somebody's training camp.

Bottom line, we have to deal about half of these players. Most of them play the same positions and they all obviously can't develop in the same place. We need to deal some of these guys and really go out there and better this team. The only two guys I think we have to hold onto are Big Al and Rondo. I'd love to keep Gomes as well, but he (along with the rest) can go in the right deal.

5. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

Rajon Rondo-Has been developing with each game he has been playing in. He has shown he can be a defensive monster and a great scrappy rebounder as a point guard. He can pass the ball well, run in the open court amazing, I think he is one of the most underrated rookies in the league.Ryan gomes-I've been watching Ryan since his freshman year at PC. He is one of my favorite players in the NBA. He's not going to be an all-star but he will be an incredible role player that any coach in any position would love to have on his team. He can rebound great for a PF that has the size of a SF. He rarely will make TO's and big mistakes. His game is incredibly polished, he has also developed a great mid-range/outside jumper that will definately raise his overall game. Tony Allen-Great perimiter defender with some great offensive tools. That injury he had this year scares the hell out of me. He now has two bad knees and this will be a huge hinder on him for the next few years. He is an explosive guard with great defensive abilities but these injuries will be tough to overcomeSebastian Telfair-I've had many debates with Cb32 about him. I don't know about this kid. He's so quick and can seem to make great plays at times but overall I just don't think he has the mind set to make it in this league. He looks lost a lot and aside from making quick penetrations at the basket I see no real offensive game for this kid. In high school it was give the ball to Telfair and let him take care of it. It's clearly not going to be like that for him in the NBA and I think he has a tough time transititioning into that. He's still young so we'll have to see but I ain't optimistic.DWest-Definition of a solid basketball player. He does all the little things you love to see. Scrappy rebounder, hustles, talented versatile offensive game, dives for lose balls, always willing to put his body on the line. I love Delonte although I think he's going to get traded because he's a good player that can be an attractive trade chipPerk-Solid defender, absolute beast, a perfect backup center.Gerald Green-Still don't know about Gerald, give me another season and I'll make more judgements about him. He could be so deadly offensively but he is still finding his nitche in the league. Allan Ray-I think CB said it best with Eddie House 2.0, I think he could potentially be a nice 3-point shooter coming off the benchLeon Powe-Soild rebounder/role player that can give a team some depth if they need big man help. He is a determined individual and defensively can give you some problems. I will never forget that game in March where he was hassling the hell out of Dirk, that showed me this kid could potentially be a good player.Al Jefferson-The next big thing as far I'm concerned. Great low post moves, incredible footwoork, has soft hands and an even softer touch. AL J could be a 20 & 10 guy for the next 10 years as far as I'm concerned. He's improved defensively as well. Losing weight has improved his mobility. He's had great games against Dwight Howard, Kevin garnett, and Tim Duncan which even further proves he can cut it in this league.Pinkney-He's the Pink Panther.

6. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE @ Apr 16 2007, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Pinkney-He's the Pink Panther.</div>
    [​IMG] Too bad we didn't sign him for the last week of the season, he's back in the D-League. But again, I think Pinkney has a decent chance at getting on an NBA roster next year, or at least get invited to somebody's training camp.

7. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I think Pinkney has a decent chance at getting on an NBA roster next year, or at least get invited to somebody's training camp.</div>In that article playoffthegame posted Rivers said that Pinkney could be a guy that could come back to the Celtics for summer league.