Young Clippers? Trio Growing, Learning

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Clippers' started by Purple N Gold, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">By Rob Peterson

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Elton Brand sat in the cramped visitor's locker room at the Continental Airlines Arena on Tuesday, the right foot he fractured in October soaking in a bucket of ice. Moments earlier, his Clippers had been literally pummeled into submission by the Nets, 92-75.

Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy has three reasons to smile: Maggette, Brand and Richardson.
    Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty Images
    Brand looked tired. Despite grabbing 16 rebounds, including 11 in the first quarter, Brand and the Clippers never found their rhythm against New Jersey. The Clippers' leading scorer Corey Maggette was ejected in the third period after a fight with the Nets' Kenyon Martin. Three games after scoring 44 points, Quentin Richardson went 3-for-11 from the field and scored six points in 24 minutes.

Such is life in the NBA for one of the youngest (none of the three turn 25 until March) and most talented triumvirates in the league. The Maggette-Brand-Richardson trio puts up numbers that most teams can only dream of from a "Big Three". Together, the three Clippers average 56.8 points, 24.2 rebounds and 8.3 assists per game.

Only Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell (63.3 ppg, 21.6 rpg and 16.6 apg) and the Kings' Peja Stojakovic, Mike Bibby and Brad Miller (57.1 ppg, 20.8 rpg and 12.6 apg) average more points and more assists than the Clippers.

Yet, as you can tell by the Clippers' 14-18 record, they're young and learning. But Maggette thinks the future is bright for the three players and the Clippers as a whole.

"No, it's still a work in progress," Maggette said. "I think with each game, we're starting to understand that we are a pretty good team. I think the biggest thing is being consistent."

The three are very close off the court, as well.

"I think I know Elton and Q better than anybody," said Maggette. "I grew up with Q, and I've been playing against Elton since the eighth grade. I know how they play, I know where they want to get the ball. I know when they're angry, I know when they're happy. Over time, I think you get a feel of the camaraderie of the group."

So who better than to ask about the trio than the players themselves and their coach? We caught up with the three Clippers and Mike Dunleavy recently. Here's what they had to say about each other</div>

[​IMG]

Clips fans have to read this article, Mike Dunleavy/Maggete/Q/Brand also speak on eachother about the trio.

Full Article:
    http://www.nba.com/allaccess/clippers_trio_040109.html

2. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

What a light hearted article, always nice to hear news on team ethic improvements and friends in the league. I always like Maggette, he and Q-Rich are great offensive players. When Brand first came I was really disappointed, I thought he was a pretty lawsy player, but boy was I wrong. For someone so heavy, wide, strong and huge, he has an amazing speed and knowledge of the court, the fact that like Big Ben, he could assume where the ball would go and go for the rebound.

Those numbers all those trios represent are unbelieveable, they're really gonna get somewhere in the NBA. Would be nice to see all three in the all-star game, since that's always a game used for "fun".

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    The only reason this trio is averaging that kind of numbers is because they are the only players on the Clips who actually have a future in this league.

4. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">The only reason this trio is averaging that kind of numbers is because they are the only players on the Clips who actually have a future in this league.</div>

Not true, Wilcox and Kaman both look like promising players.

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">The only reason this trio is averaging that kind of numbers is because they are the only players on the Clips who actually have a future in this league.</div>

You don't follow the Clippers do you?

Jaric
    Wilcox
    Kaman

All will be good players.Wilcox could be a Kurt Thomas type player with a better post game.Kaman is one of the future centers of this league.Has had plenty of good games this season where he has picked up double doubles.Has some nice moves in the post,he also knows how to box out and get rebounds when his team needs them most.

Also you saying those players only average those numbers because they have no one else? Now thats what I call terrible logic.Thats like saying Shaq and Kobe only averaged over 26 a game for years only because they had no one else to score.

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Can you say hater...jk..but yea, Chris Wilcox will be an above average big man, and could end up at a few all star games pending injuries, kaman is a really nice big man who still can develop his game, and then you have the big three, if this group can stay together i think they can be a big 5

7. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

Saying that Brand, Maggette and Richardson are the only Clippers with a future in the NBA is just uninformed.

Wilcox is without a doubt the real deal, hopefully the Clipps will find a way to keep him, but when the time comes for a new contract, no less than half of the league will by vying for his services. He's a young low-post stud, who can attack the goal with a vengeance, while also being capable of using finesse to score on the blocks.

Kaman's play this year has shocked just about everyone, this kid looks funny, but don't let that fool you - he's got SERIOUS game. If you take the time to watch the Clipps when he's in the game, you'll see him do things that very few veteran NBA centers can do. He has a tremendous knack for rebounding, he has very quick feet either going to the basket or in the post, his jump shot is improving greatly, and he also attacks the rim as aggresively as any big man. - Including the likes of Shaq and Jermaine. These are things that everyone in the league looks for out from their centers, his future is limitless. I would not be surprised to see him in the all-star game within the next 3 to 4 seasons. Just wait.

Jaric is also another talented, young player who can make his mark whenever he decides to start playing consistent basketball. He shows flashes, as in last nights game, but still makes some mistakes that NBA pg's just cannot make. As far as being a star level player, who knows? But to say that he has no prospects of a future in the NBA is ridiculous. Give him a couple of more seasons before making that judgement.

There are also others on this club like Melvin Ely, Bobby Simmons and Peja Drobnjak who would be welcome additions to any NBA team in need of productive, effective role players. Simmons could start for almost any team in the league, he just happens to be stuck behind a great player like Maggette. Ely would start at center or power forward for half of the teams out there, he just happens to be stuck behind Brand, Wilcox and Kaman. And Drobjnak is an offensively skilled big man who also could start for many teams in need of a talented 4 or 5. Don't twist the facts, the Clippers have many young players with a bright future in the NBA. Some of them may not be able to shine on this team, but will undoubtedly get that opportunity somewhere, somehow.