Your next year predictions for Kings.

Discussion in 'Sacramento Kings' started by GiantMidget, Jul 21, 2005.

1. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

Id like to know how people think the Kings will do next year.What seed do you think they'll get in the playoffs?Personally,its my opinion that if the Pheonix Suns dont resign Joe Johnson the Kings will become the favorite to win the Pacific.Thus the Kings will be a top 3 seeded team in the playoffs [​IMG].I dont think this prediction is any kind of stretch either. I know its hard to accept the idea of it for non-Kings fans,but if you think about the fire power the Suns will lose if they dont resign JJ...whos going to be better in the division than the Kings?The Warriors are nice but not better than the Kings,not yet anyway.So anyhow those are my thoughts.Give me your predictions, biased or unbiased.

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GiantMidget:</div><div class="quote_post">The Warriors are nice but not better than the Kings,not yet anyway.</div>

Then why did the Kings lose to the Warriors twice in three days down the stretch? [​IMG]

It all depends on who the Kings get to fill in their holes at PF and SG (unless Martin does well), with their roster now I'd say they are out of the playoffs and maybe even lottery bound. I do agree with you about JJ though, if Phoenix loses him there will be a huge battle in the Pacific division. I'll take the Warriors to win the Pacific if JJ goes to Atlanta, the Dubs beat Phoenix twice down the stretch as well as the Kings, the Lakers arent going to be too great if they are relying on Kwame to be their savior. Right now my projected rank of the Pacific division is as follows:

1. Pheonix
    2. Golden State
    3. LAC (thats right, Brand, Kaman, Mobley, Magette, Livingston is a badass lineup)
    4. LAL
    5. Sacramento

Right now the Kings have no defense and are in rebuilding mode, the Pacific will be much improved next year and the Kings are the only team who seems to have gotten worse. This could obviously change if JJ leaves PHX, or if Reef or Antoine Walker sign with the Kings.

3. GiantMidget

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Then why did the Kings lose to the Warriors twice in three days down the stretch?</div> Please see the quote for the Kings forum. Rebuilding mode?How about reloading mode.Their "holes" at Pf and SG?Thomas was getting around 15 and 8 in the starting lineup.Evans is solid at sg.The Kings were over 500. in a stretch where they played completely w/o Brad Miller and multiple games w/o Peja and Mobley,and they only had B jax back in the last couple games of the season. <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">with their roster now I'd say they are out of the playoffs and maybe even lottery bound.</div>[​IMG] People are sleeping HARD on the Kings.

4. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GiantMidget:</div><div class="quote_post">Please see the quote for the Kings forum. Rebuilding mode?How about reloading mode.Their "holes" at Pf and SG?Thomas was getting around 15 and 8 in the starting lineup.Evans is solid at sg.The Kings were over 500. in a stretch where they played completely w/o Brad Miller and multiple games w/o Peja and Mobley,and they only had B jax back in the last couple games of the season. [​IMG] People are sleeping HARD on the Kings.</div>

Well, say hello to Bonzi. I still dont think this is going to make your team much better. I dont think the Kings are that bad but the Pacific is going to be much more competitive next season. The Suns probably wont be as good, the Warriors will be much tougher with a full year of Baron Davis, the Lakers got Phil which automatically gives them a shot at the playoffs (they were headed there last year before injuries and Rudy T retiring), the Clippers are not too bad. The Kings and are probably the odd men out now, they dont have much depth or much defense and i dont think their offense is good enough to carry them.

5. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Please see the quote for the Kings forum. Rebuilding mode?How about reloading mode.Their "holes" at Pf and SG?Thomas was getting around 15 and 8 in the starting lineup.Evans is solid at sg.The Kings were over 500. in a stretch where they played completely w/o Brad Miller and multiple games w/o Peja and Mobley,and they only had B jax back in the last couple games of the season.

People are sleeping HARD on the Kings.</div>

Saying that Thomas and Evans are in there to fill in those holes is not very convincing at all. The only thing that can make your argument sound credible is that they still have Peja, Bibby and Miller, the same guys that was tearing it up a couple seasons ago when Webber was out. However, the West has gotten a little stronger with the emergence of teams such as the Suns, Clippers, and Warriors and so on...just fact that there are new faces in the West will make it that much harder for the Kings. If that was not factored in the Kings were probably set for a 3rd seed Playoff berth. But since there is more competition I think the Kings can get the 6th seed at BEST. A 7th seed in the Playoffs seems most likely. But then again, when you look at these teams?

San Antonio
    Phoenix
    Dallas
    Rockets
    Nuggets
    Warriors
    Kings
    Clippers
    T' Wolves
    Memphis
    Lakers

?the Kings heading to the lottery is not that far from a stretch. Just one injury to Bibby, Peja or Miller could cost them a Playoff berth, but healthy or not, unlike previous years the Kings are NOT a lock for the Playoffs.

6. Trueplaya4real

Trueplaya4real JBB JustBBall Member

The Kings wont be bad. I like the Bonzi acquisition, he can bring this team some toughness which they dont really have. They wont be so fancy and high scoring but they gonna be at least a 5th or 6th seed in the West.

PG- Bibby
    SG- Wells
    SF- Stojakovic
    PF- Thomas
    C- Miller

Nice lineup and real balanced. They are still contenders to come out of the West but Stojakovic has got to step up and deliver in big games.

Kings fan should be happy Bonzi Wells is in Sacramento now.

7. GiantMidget

There are no signs that point to the Kings offense not being flashy or not being enough to carry them to the playoffs.After the Kings traded Webber last year the teams scoring average actually went up,the average points scored per game went up even with all the injuries the team sustained.Questioning the Kings offense in anyway is foolish.The Kings are a definite lock for the playoffs unless theres some string of major injuries to multiple players.Bonzi Wells makes the roster better because he has good size,something Mobley didnt have.The Kings lost Bobby Jackson who only played 20 something regular season games last year.So how did the roster get worse.A badly injured Kings team WON 50 GAMES last year.All this talk about all these teams in the pacific getting better and leaving the Kings behind is nonsense.The Lakers are still mediocre at best.Sure the clippers signed Mobley,but they lost Simmons.So exactly what major improvements have they made?The Suns elite status in the division is hinged on signing Finley.The Warriors wont win more than 50 games.If the Phoenix Suns dont sign Michael Finley after they lose Joe Johnson the Kings will be a top seed in the playoffs.I still dont think people realize how many injuries this team had to deal with last year,and how many games they won anyway.

8. GiantMidget

Avery,youre trying too hard.If you cant realize how loaded the Kings lineup is then theres no point in arguing with you.Its seems like the popular belief is that the Warriors are already better than the Kings.The Warriors have the best backcourt in the league,but what else do they have?Dunleavy,Pietrus,Diogu(rookie),Biedrins are all fine players,but I dont see how these players make them better than Sac.Its not as if Bibby and Wells is a weak backcourt.With that being said,other than Golden States backcourt,the Kings have an obvious advantage.

9. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GiantMidget:</div><div class="quote_post">There are no signs that point to the Kings offense not being flashy or not being enough to carry them to the playoffs.After the Kings traded Webber last year the teams scoring average actually went up,the average points scored per game went up even with all the injuries the team sustained.Questioning the Kings offense in anyway is foolish.The Kings are a definite lock for the playoffs unless theres some string of major injuries to multiple players.Bonzi Wells makes the roster better because he has good size,something Mobley didnt have.The Kings lost Bobby Jackson who only played 20 something regular season games last year.So how did the roster get worse.A badly injured Kings team WON 50 GAMES last year.All this talk about all these teams in the pacific getting better and leaving the Kings behind is nonsense.The Lakers are still mediocre at best.Sure the clippers signed Mobley,but they lost Simmons.So exactly what major improvements have they made?The Suns elite status in the division is hinged on signing Finley.The Warriors wont win more than 50 games.If the Phoenix Suns dont sign Michael Finley after they lose Joe Johnson the Kings will be a top seed in the playoffs.I still dont think people realize how many injuries this team had to deal with last year,and how many games they won anyway.</div>

36 of the Kings 50 wins came before Webber was traded. Thats more than 65% of the Kings wins were with Webber. If Bibby, Miller, or Peja get a significant injury the Kings likely will lose playoff hopes. That aside, the Kings have one average defender in their starting lineup, a 6-7 PF who has to compete in the PF dominated west, no defensive stoppers at all, and no shot blocking threat.

Phoenix averaged 112 PPG and had several good defenders, the Kings averaged 103 PPG and have 1 slightly above average defender. No defense at all and the offensive production isnt that great.

If you look at the last 10 games of the season, Golden State averaged the most PPG (113.4), Sacramento came 2nd (110.2), Phoenix 3rd (108.8). Good numbers by all three teams but if you look at the difference between the team and opponents of the three, Sacramento's is lowest at +4, GS is next lowest at 5.40, Phoenix has the greatest difference in PPG at 6.9.

Stats arent everything and Phoenix very well could drop production but as it stood in the last games of the season, GS and Phoenix were better than Sacto. Since then, the Kings have not improved while GS got a post game and its young squad is more developed, Phoenix may lose JJ but could pick up almost all the lost slack by signing Finley, plus they also have to compete with the Lakers (who are notorious for beating the Kings) whom have Kobe and Phil.

10. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GiantMidget:</div><div class="quote_post">Avery,youre trying too hard.If you cant realize how loaded the Kings lineup is then theres no point in arguing with you.Its seems like the popular belief is that the Warriors are already better than the Kings.The Warriors have the best backcourt in the league,but what else do they have?Dunleavy,Pietrus,Diogu(rookie),Biedrins are all fine players,but I dont see how these players make them better than Sac.Its not as if Bibby and Wells is a weak backcourt.With that being said,other than Golden States backcourt,the Kings have an obvious advantage.</div>

I wouldn't go saying GS has the best backcourt in the league, Kidd and Carter is probably better. Lets match up players by position.

PG, both teams have quality PGs but Baron is top 3. They averaged around the same ppg and RPG but Baron wins in assists and defense. Slight edge Warriors.

SG, Richardson beats Wells in every category except defense. J-Rich is an average to slightly above average defender while Bonzi is a very solid defender. I dont know much about Kevin Martin's game but I'm fairly sure Pietrus is at least as good offensively and i know Pietrus is much better defensively. Advantage Warriors.

SF, Niether Peja or Dunleavy are good defensive players but Dunleavy is average, giving him the edge. Offensively Peja is far and away a better shooter/scorer, advantage Kings.

PF, Kenny Thomas and Troy Murphy both arent good defensively, Kenny is too small Troy just doesn't care. Offensively Troy gets more points and rebounds. Warriors are also much deeper at PF, advantage warriors.

C, Miller is okay defensively while Foyle is above average, Miller pretty much destroys Foyle in everything else, advantage Kings.

Warriors are better at 3 positions, and their bench is probably better at every position. Kings are better at two positions, bench not as good though.

11. GiantMidget

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">36 of the Kings 50 wins came before Webber was traded. Thats more than 65% of the Kings wins were with Webber.</div> Nice try.This has become a "figure out how to come up with a reason for the Kings not making the playoffs" thread.You didnt mention that Brad Miller missed something like 26-28 games after Webber left.Along with the other numerous games played w/o Mobley and Peja after Webber left.So that arguement is no good.
    So basically we're saying "what if" one of the Kings main players gets injured?What if Steve Nash gets injured?Then the Suns are really screwed.Baron Davis has had plenty of injuries,what if he gets injured?The "what if" arguement is weak.That whole player comparison thing makes sense RunBJM,until you think about by what margin certain players are better than others.J-Rich and Davis is great,but it isnt THAT much better than Wells and Bibby.Peja is worlds ahead of Dunleavy in that comparison.Murphy is somewhat better than Thomas.Miller is far better than Foyle/Biedrins.

12. Run BJM

I agree, the last half of the season was injury plagued for the Kings but the Kings can lose any 1 of three players and be out of contention for the playoffs while the Warriors and Suns need one specific player to get injured. Our player comparisons sound exactly the same but the Warriors have slightly better offense at every position except center as well as better defense at PG, SF, and C. Not to mention the Warriors have great players on the bench. Who on Sacramento's bench is as good as Pietrus? Cabarkapa? Fisher even? The Warriors are slightly better on offense, quite a bit better on defense, and have much more depth than the Kings.

You can even look at the season series to see who the better team is, Golden State won 3 out of 4 times. One of the wins came without Davis and while the Kings had Webber but with Baron we have yet to be defeated by the Kings. We've beaten you with or without Davis, and even when we had Davis he wasnt 100%. The season series say the Warriors are better, stats say the Warriors are better, and if you look at the rosters it should be plain to see that the Warriors have an edge over the Kings.

13. stkf

stkf BBW Member

this just in, the associated press reported Doug Christie wants to come back to play for the kings. he would back up Bonzi.

Also, this opens up a trade for Kevin Martin. We need a PF. Martin + Thomas for Upgrade at PF? This could be a good year for kings.

Sorry guys, i dont got a link. But i am sure i will be posting news tomorrow.

14. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

Kinda early to say at this point as training camp has not yet started...

I see last year as kind of a fluke. The Kings were forced into rebuilding last year when certain opportunities presented themselves and yet through all the moves and injuries to key players, they still managed to rack up 50 wins and make the playoffs. Considering everything that happened, not a bad year... and not too far from my 55 win prediction from last year.

This next year I think we might see some of the same in the area of player movement. Even considering the recient trade of Jackson for Wells, you are not looking at the same team that will hit the floor at the end of this season. The bench is looking kinda thin now and I think they will address that between now and the trade deadline.

Overall the kings will have a lot of ups and downs as they sort things out. I am going to say 52 wins this year, 1 player going to the all star game (I am going to say Bibby at this point) and out in the second round of the playoffs.

....although I will reserve the right to change this prediction drasticly untill the season actually starts...