Your Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Big D, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

If you were coaching the Pistons, what kind of rotations would you have? Who would be your starters, and who would be your second stringers? Here's mine, with approximate minutes in parentheses:

PG: Billups (38)/ Atkins(10)/ Hunter
    SG: Rip(36)/ Sura(12)/ H. Davis
    SF: Prince(30)/ Corliss(18)
    PF: Big Ben(36)/ Okur(10)/ Darko (8)
    C: Campbell(24)/ Okur(18)/ Rebraca

At PG, it's pretty easy. Billups is the man, and should get between 25-40 minutes a game. Atkins is my backup because he knows the offense, and is a much better shooter than Hunter. Hunter gets garbage minutes, and comes in to play D when Atkins isn't handling his man.

At SG, it's also quite obvious. Rip is our main scorer and should also get serious minutes. Sura is a great spark off the bench, supplying the same energy that Barry did, without some of the turnovers hopefully. Hubert Davis will take the garbage minutes, and come in when we need a three.

At SF, I think Tayshaun played himself into the starting role in the playoffs. His defense is far above Curry's, and his offense is flatout surprising. He has confidence and coolness, and should be very valuable this year. I think Corliss is a lot more indespensible than people think. When we're in a rut, he takes the ball and brings us out. He's almost an automatic 2 points if he gets it down low. Our big advantage at this position is that both guys are matchup problems. Tayshaun's long arms gives shooters fits, and Corliss's size makes him a post threat against the smaller SFs.

PF is Ben's postion. Period. No one will take it from him anytime soon. The tone he sets on defense is invaluable. His offense is steadily improving, but we don't need much from him. I'd like to see Okur split time backing up the PF and the C spot. I'll talk moe about him in the C comments. Darko has a chance to develop at a very natural pace with Ben in front on him. We will get some decent minutes here and there, but I don't expect him to be a star this year.

At C, I've changed my mind. I think we should have the veteran, Elden Campbell start the game. We suffered from some slow starts last year, and I think a smart veteran can calm us down and get us in our offense. That allows Okur to come off the bench, another great burst of energy for us. I would like our C position to be like our SF position last year. One guy starts, but the backup gets more minutes. Okur is going to be a very good player, and deserves to get 30 minutes a game. He could be a real difference maker, and allow us to pull away from teams in the 2nd quarter. Rebraca, depending on his health, can fill in when Okur is at PF. He's a question mark right now, so we'll have to wait and see.

So, that was my long-winded analysis of the roster, what's yours?

2. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with you.

We need to trade Rebraca.

3. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Billups
    Hamilton
    Prince
    Wallace
    Campell

Just looks like it is going to be this way, unless they do something else with Prince and give him more time.

Where are the Piston fans at?