Your Team's Predictions

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by Voodoo Child, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Post your team's schedule here and predict the games. Be realistic. For example, don't have Mississippi losing less than five games.

Michigan State University:

Win - Magic Johnson All-Stars (Exh.)
    Win - Nike Elite (Exh.)
    Win - Bucknell
    Win - At Kansas
    Win - At Indiana St.
    Win - Duke
    Win - Neutral With Oklahoma
    Win - Kentucky
    Win - South Florida
    Win - At UCLA
    Win - Coppin State
    Win - DePaul
    Win - At Syracuse
    Loss - At Wisconsin
    Win - Penn State
    Win - Michigan
    Win - At Northwestern
    Win - At Purdue
    Win - At Minnesota
    Win - Indiana
    Win - Iowa
    Win - At Ohio State
    Win - At Illinois
    Win - Minnesota
    Win - Purdue
    Win - Northwestern
    Loss - At Michigan
    Win - At Penn State
    Win - Wisconsin

Final Record - 25-2
    #2 Ranking
    #1 Seed

2. BallerAK47

BallerAK47 JBB JustBBall Member

^ what team is that?

3. Voodoo Child

Sorry for forgetting to put the team name, but that is Michigan State University.

Spartanfan2003 = Michigan State Spartans, DUH! [​IMG]

4. Raindrops

Raindrops JBB JustBBall Member

The Spartans will lose 4-6 games IMO

5. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Raindrops:</div><div class="quote_post">The Spartans will lose 4-6 games IMO</div>I don't think so. The Spartans haven't had this good of a team since 1979. Tom Izzo knows it too. Michigan State has eight players who will be drafted and three players who will most likely be All-Americans. This is the Spartan's year!

6. Fast Luck

Fast Luck JBB JustBBall Member

Ohio State

Ohio State

WIN - at San Francisco
    at Maui Invitational
    **WIN - San Diego St.
    **WIN - Dayton/Central Michigan
    **WIN - Villanova/Chaminade/Hawaii/Santa Clara
    WIN - Georgia Tech
    WIN - Samford
    WIN - Furman
    WIN - at Seton Hall
    WIN - Eastern Illinois
    WIN - Dartmouth
    WIN - Md. Baltimore County
    WIN - Texas Tech
    LOSS - at Illinois
    WIN - at Penn St
    WIN - Minnesota
    WIN - Indiana
    LOSS - at Iowa
    WIN - Wisconsin
    WIN - at Purdue
    WIN - Northwestern
    LOSS - Michigan State
    LOSS - at Wisconsin
    WIN - Iowa
    WIN - at Indiana
    WIN - at Minnesota
    LOSS - at Michigan
    WIN - Penn St.
    WIN - Illinois

23-5. I don't think they'll do quite that good. Some close games:

Pre-conference
    <ul>[*]Dayton, they're a great club and I would choose them over us, especially since we'll have a large number of new players on the court that might not have gelled yet. But their squad last year was largely comprised of seniors, and despite a chance of losing, I'll pick OSU.
    [*]Georgia Tech, we lost to them in the NIT last season, but that was at GT. Since I think Bosh went pro I think this is the kind of game we can win this year that we might have lost last year.
    [*]at Seton Hall, this one might be tough, it's away
    [*]Texas Tech, going against Bobby Knight is always tough, but I don't think his group of overachievers can beat us[/list]

Conference
    <ul>[*]at Illinois, I put this down as a loss, because I can see us losing it and we'll definitely have lost at least one by this point
    [*]Iowa and Purdue lost about 4 starting seniors each, and I honestly don't think Indiana is that good a team, so I marked these as wins
    [*]Minnesota could be a challenge, but they seem to always find a way to lose these days. Still, we will probably lose either at Minnesota or at Michigan, and I decided to chalk the loss up to Michigan, because we really couldn't find a way to handle their athleticism last season
    [*]Wisconsin will be good, but without Kirk Penney, we can at least beat them in our home game. Kohl Stadium, or whatever it is called, is another story, and although I think we've got a better team and could do it, I'll have to put up another loss
    [*]Michigan St., they should be the conference powerhouse this year, so I gave them the win, but we've got them at home so there's no reason we can't steal this one[/list]

Reasons why we'll be up this year:

Jim O'Brien is a great coach, and will be able to get the most from his players. This year, we should have starting center Terrence Dials back from a season ending back injury last year that earned him a medical redshirt. He showed great flashes of skill his freshman season, and if he's matured he could be excellent this year. Brandon Fuss-Cheatham was plagued by injury for the entire season last year. He's very quick and good with the ball, and having a true point guard will be great for OSU this year. There's a question mark on him because he hasn't been able to do anything offensively so far, but if he has some confidence and health this year, we'll see. Ivan Harris, a consensus top-15 power forward joins the team. Ricardo Billings may have been our top recruit last year, but came in academically ineligible. He stuck with OSU, and this year we'll see what he can contribute. And finally, Tony Stockman and JJ Sullinger will be available after sitting out for a year after transferring. These guys are great guards, and should fill in the gap left by last year's guards and team leading scorers, Sean Connolly and Brent Darby, departing.

So we'll have
    (G) Fuss-Cheatham
    (G) Stockman
    (G) Sullinger
    (G) Billings
    (F) Harris
    (F) Jenkins (had some injuries last year but helped us take out Indiana at home when he had a huge game)
    (F) Sylvester
    (F/C) Dials
    &copy; Radinovic

That's plenty of players at every position, ranging from good at worst to excellent at best. Should be a banner year and a great rebound from last season, where we still likely could have made the NCAA tournament if every player on the roster other than Darby hadn't missed a game from injury.

And that's basically everything you'll ever need to know about OSU's pre-season prospects.

7. Fast Luck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">Win - Magic Johnson All-Stars (Exh.)
    Win - Nike Elite (Exh.)
    Win - Bucknell
    Win - At Kansas
    Win - At Indiana St.
    Win - Duke
    Win - Neutral With Oklahoma
    Win - Kentucky
    Win - South Florida
    Win - At UCLA
    Win - Coppin State
    Win - DePaul
    Win - At Syracuse</div>Looking individually at those games, yes, I might pick MSU to take them all. However, all together, I would be very surprised to see them win at Kansas, home versus Duke, neutral versus Oklahoma, Kentucky, at UCLA, and at Syracuse, without losing once between these. If MSU does finish as you predict, and I know you're not saying they will, but if they do, I think they would be easily #1 in the country, not #2 as you said, because even if UConn looks better on paper, they cannot top that record and that strength schedule.

8. Raindrops

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Fast Luck:</div><div class="quote_post">Looking individually at those games, yes, I might pick MSU to take them all. However, all together, I would be very surprised to see them win at Kansas, home versus Duke, neutral versus Oklahoma, Kentucky, at UCLA, and at Syracuse, without losing once between these. If MSU does finish as you predict, and I know you're not saying they will, but if they do, I think they would be easily #1 in the country, not #2 as you said, because even if UConn looks better on paper, they cannot top that record and that strength schedule.</div>

Good Point!

9. MeloFan

MeloFan JBB JustBBall Member

i think the UNLV rebels will go 19-9 this year and possibly make it to the mwc championship, but it will be harder this year because the tourny isnt in vegas this year

10. Raindrops

Ohio State will lose atleast 8 games. Backcourt is weak, especially at the point.
    If Velimir Radinovic continues to improve he could be selected in next year's NBA draft.

11. Raindrops

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MeloFan:</div><div class="quote_post">i think the UNLV rebels will go 19-9 this year and possibly make it to the mwc championship, but it will be harder this year because the tourny isnt in vegas this year</div>

19-9? The loss of Marcus Banks, Dalron Johnson, and Jermaine Lewis and with the tourney moving to Denver makes much more difficult. UNLV definetly have some rebuilding to do.

12. Fast Luck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Raindrops:</div><div class="quote_post">Ohio State will lose atleast 8 games. Backcourt is weak, especially at the point.
    If Velimir Radinovic continues to improve he could be selected in next year's NBA draft.</div>I actually think OSU will have a very strong backcourt. Fuss-Cheatham is a great ball-handler, and if he has trouble scoring, they have three other guards that I think can put up points in buckets. 8 losses? That sounds more accurate than 4, but keep in mind, they have a pretty cushy pre-conference schedule, with not the slightest semblance to MSU's powerhouse schedule.

I think the frontcourt will be a bigger problem. Radinovic is big, but foul-prone and still developing. Dials was promising two years ago, but it's been awhile and we have to wait and see how he's matured. Ivan Harris should be great, but he's just a freshman. Jenkins was hot and cold, and Sylvester was sometimes poor defensively, although an aggressively streaky shooter.

13. Fast Luck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Fast Luck:</div><div class="quote_post">I actually think OSU will have a very strong backcourt. Fuss-Cheatham is a great ball-handler, and if he has trouble scoring, they have three other guards that I think can put up points in buckets. 8 losses? That sounds more accurate than 4, but keep in mind, they have a pretty cushy pre-conference schedule, with not the slightest semblance to MSU's powerhouse schedule.

I think the frontcourt will be a bigger problem. Radinovic is big, but foul-prone and still developing. Dials was promising two years ago, but it's been awhile and we have to wait and see how he's matured. Ivan Harris should be great, but he's just a freshman. Jenkins was hot and cold, and Sylvester was sometimes poor defensively, although an aggressively streaky shooter.</div>Also, O'Brien was a guard himself, and always does great work with his guards.

14. Raindrops

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Fast Luck:</div><div class="quote_post">Also, O'Brien was a guard himself, and always does great work with his guards.</div>

Speaking of OSU guards, its sad knowing that Sconnie Penn is playing ball in Croatia while Redd lights it up in the L.

15. Fast Luck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Raindrops:</div><div class="quote_post">Speaking of OSU guards, its sad knowing that Sconnie Penn is playing ball in Croatia while Redd lights it up in the L.</div>Yeah, it is. Scoonie just wasn't the same his senior year as he was as a junior, or I'm sure he would have been drafted. His height is always an obstacle, though. But Michael Redd just keeps improving. I think he's a very, very hard-working player. He was about a 30% 3pt shooter in college, and now he's one of the NBA's best marksmen. In college, he was just a slasher. This year, the (Milwaukee) Bucks are going to blow and Redd is going to have to carry them, so his shooting percentages will really drop, but his scoring average might hit 20ppg or above, I think.

16. MeloFan

MeloFan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Raindrops:</div><div class="quote_post">19-9? The loss of Marcus Banks, Dalron Johnson, and Jermaine Lewis and with the tourney moving to Denver makes much more difficult. UNLV definetly have some rebuilding to do.</div>

Ive got faith in spoon

17. CP3

CP3 JBB JustBBall Member

<font size="2">Wake Forest</font>
    Win - EA Sports (Exhibition)
    Win - Athletes In Action (Exhibition)
    Win - Neutral with Memphis
    Win - Elon
    Win - At Yale
    Win - Indiana
    Win - Richmond
    Win - At SMU
    Loss - At North Carolina
    Win - North Carolina A&T
    Win - New Mexico
    Win - Brown
    Win - Clemson
    Loss - At Duke
    Win - Georgia Tech
    Win - At Florida State
    Win - Maryland
    Win - Virginia
    Loss - At NC State
    Loss - North Carolina
    Win - Duke
    Win - At Georgia Tech
    Win - Florida State
    Win - At Maryland
    Win - At Virginia
    Win - NC State

18. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

The Iowa Hawkeyes

19. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Well, I'm a Iowa Hawkeye fan, and, yea, don't feel like typing out a schedule presently. I think that they'll go 20-9. They'll get that first 20 win season since 00-01 when Recker and Evans came and Recker sat out a bunch and yea, we merely ran the table in the Big Ten Tourney, winning 4 games in 4 days. But, yea, I think they'll be able to get at least 20 wins cause, well, they're gonna have a tremendous backcourt with Pierce and Horner, quite possibly one of the best in the Big Ten. Not too mention they have Jared Reiner back, and he improved a lot last season and I think that trend will continue throughout this year. Really, the only negative thing that happened at all after this previous season was that they lost Chauncey Leslie. Other than that, they got Pierce back, Horner and Brunner got more experience, they got Nick DeWitz and Eric Hansen, both transfers, and than they recruited Mike Henderson and Jason Rand, both freshman and both with loads of talent. I think this team has tremendous talent and has the ability to finally be a contender in the Big Ten.

20. Fast Luck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">Win - Magic Johnson All-Stars (Exh.)</div>Uh oh! [​IMG]