Z-man to Dallas

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

For a 2nd and 3rd that could turn into 2 1st with few conditions. Not bad for him. A definate 1st was unlikely. Now let's hope Clark does do anything idiotic in June.

2. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

He is going to look weird in a different uniform.

3. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

And the Rangers are at Dallas March 5th.

4. Ranger71

If he re-signs there, and/or they win 2 rounds then it turns into a 1st(s). Not a bad job at all for likely a mid 2nd and 3rd at worst. Should be interesting to see what happens with Hayes, maybe the Peg or SJ.

5. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

General manager Jeff Gorton sent pending unrestricted free agent Mats Zuccarello to the Stars in return for two conditional drafts picks — a second-rounder in 2019 that would become a first-rounder if Dallas wins two playoff rounds (unlikely) and a third-rounder in 2020 that becomes a first-rounder if Dallas re-signs the 31-year-old Norwegian.

6. Ranger71

There's no way Dallas or Calgary were risking a 1st in the teens for Zucc so all things considered i don't see how people are upset with the return and conditions. If they don't get a 1st in a Hayes deal then i would be ticked.

7. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Even though you knew these moves were coming it's sad to see him go. A heart and soul guy who was a fan favorite and played hard.

8. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

A conditional second and third? Please get an NHL proven GM and an NHL proven Head Coach

9. Ranger71

The 2nd and 3rd are guaranteed at worst Struds, with the outside chance of either becoming a 1st. Don't see how you can be upset about it.

10. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Zucc is one of my favorite Rangers of all time. Pure heart. I was at the game he scored his first NHL, goal, an OT wrap around winner against Carolina. Many memories after that. Thanks again Zucc. I hope youre back next year.

Now that said...Zucc is not signing in Dallas - their GM doesn’t give this condition if that’s a possibility. They are not sacrificing a 1st rounder to sign him.

Ryan Dzingel got 2 guaranteed 2nd rounders and Anthony Duclair. Ryan F’n Dzingel who has been to the playoffs one time. Sorry, I’m disappointed with this.

11. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

It sucks. We’ve seen better returns than that. Stars suck they aren’t winning shit. A 2nd and 3rd rounder that may never play a game for this organization

12. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Well, if the Stars suck, the second will be higher. I agree Zucc will be coming back if his c0ntract demands are reasonable. I was hoping for a first. Last 2 years they had multiple second round picks they found Sauer who would have been an all-star IMO if not for his concussions. They found Dubinsky. They had 4 second rounders that year and missed on three. I trust Clark a lot more than they guys making picks those days. Point is there is safety in numbers with picks. Barron looks like a player and he's a 6th rounder. Keane 3rd, Gross 4th might be something. Reaunen looks like a steal as a 4th rounder. Gettinger 5th, Fontaine 6th. Shesterkin most likely our future number 1 goalie 4th round.

You can't just act like a 2nd and 3rd are garbage. Plus, you also have add this into the equation. Let's say the Rangers are sitting there at 12 in the draft. They can use one of those second rounders to move up to 7 to 8 potentially to draft a player they absolutely love. Same with the extra third in 2020. They might use that to trade up to the 2nd round. They could also use that second rounder to deal for a prospect from another team. All kind of options.

13. kreidertime

Plus, let's be honest. Trading Zucc just makes it more likely our first this year will be higher. Don't judge by the Devils game. They are a disgrace and once again have become a mickey mouse organization. They are one of the worst drafting organizations I've ever seen.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  14. kreidertime

Plus you have to remember they already have at least Tampa's 2nd. Maybe that becomes a first this year.

15. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

So at the very least we have three 2nd round picks this year. Our own, TB's (could become a 1st if TB wins the cup - certainly possible), and Dallas' (could become a 1st if Dallas makes the WCF - not likely). That is a very nice start to another full draft I'd say. And you know they are adding if not a 1st for Hayes, at least another 2nd (depending on the prospect that comes with him). And I would say a 3rd or 4th for McQuaid.

So we will have many picks again. That is a good thing. To me we should use those picks to move up and/or get back into round 1. If the TB and Dallas picks stay in round 2, I wouldn't want to stand pat and make all of them. Assuming they get a 1st for Hayes, I would look to package the 2nd's and get back into the 1st, giving us three 1st round picks for the 2nd year in a row. And while the Pres trophy winner doesn't win the cup often, TB has a great shot, which means we could be sitting on three 1st's anyway if we get one for Hayes.

So we are set up real nice, and I will say now very reasonable chance we'll have three 1st round picks for the 2nd straight year (we'll get one for Hayes and I think either TB wins the cup or we deal back in for a third 1st rounder). And worst case we are just about assured of having at least two 1st round picks for the 3rd straight year (get one for Hayes or TB wins cup).

That is all good stuff as the reboot starts to take full shape, and we are back in the playoff picture for sure next season I believe. We'll have a bunch of picks again, kids will take another step, and reasonable chance we add some good free agents this summer (Panarin). I think we will start seeing winning playoff hockey again next season, and it should be that way for years hopefully after this two year step back.

Ranger71 likes this.
  16. Ranger71

Unless it was Tampa or a few others making this deal, basically there was no way you were getting a 1st for Zucc and teams risking the pick being #18. Like Chuck and Dump said, use these extra picks to move up for another late 1st or very early 2nd. Hayes likely brings a 1st and Tampa's 50/50 at least for another. On Dzingel, he's cheaper plus Columbus has a better shot of winning a round(though they mever do)than Dallas so that probably factored into the two 2nds.

17. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I think very reasonable return for a 31yr old rental. Lacking size and having a mediocre season at best. Also, rangers could resign Zucc after season. Hayes and mcquaid should go for more picks and hopefully at least 1 good prospect. Seems like that’s all that’s being traded but you never know what might happen at the deadline and teams sometimes get a little more desperate

18. theProdigy223

Not arguing the benefits of having numerous picks, of course it’s a good thing to have numerous chances and to have additional currency to move up. My point was that Zucc, who has been a guaranteed 55 point player the past few years and with tons of playoff experience, who easily fits into anybody’s top 6, should have returned more than a 2nd and 3rd if we’re trading him 3 days before the deadline. If that’s the best offer on the table I don’t pull the trigger yet. Grabner got us a better return last year.

19. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

An inevitable trade which has more upside than the Dzingel deal. I liked Zucc too, everyone likes rooting for the little guy but as far as resigning? He's coming off a $4.5 mil deal and I agree Mel, has been less than stellar, imo he'd have to give the hometown discount to come back. I don't think criticism toward this front office is warranted, they had a great first year. Chytil was a great pick, he's an effortless skater who is strong on the puck and can pass/shoot. Trading Stepan for Tony D (who has really played better than I expected) and a 1st which became Andersson. Trading the Captain McDonough (which is a ballsy move for a 1st year GM) for the picks and Howden who looks promising and Namestnikov. Signing McQuaid who's likely to turn into a few draft picks, even signing McLeod off the scrap heap and dealing him for a 7th. Sather was always too busy fishing to make these type of deals figuring he'd just sign the highest profile free agent and call it a day. Gorton had 5 players qualify to play in world juniors, I don't ever remember the Rangers representing that well and I've been a fan for decades.

20. theProdigy223

I fully admit I may be biased given how much of a fan I am of Zucc, but I still think its an underwhelming return to pull the trigger on 3 days before the deadline. It doesn’t look like Simmonds is moving. It doesn’t look like Panarin is moving. It doesn’t look like Ferland is moving. Stone may be resigning. Who are the other wingers out there? In my opinion the stars were aligning to hold him a bit longer and get a bit more back for him than a second and a third. If the conditions hit we’ll be real lucky, and when is this team every lucky?

It’s not an indictment of the front office, I’ve liked most of what they’ve done the past few years with a few exceptions. I know Zucc had to be traded. Was just expecting more back.