Zach Randolph

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by Ice, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Ice

Ice JBB Member

The Blazers have made it rather clear that they want to remove Randolph from their roster with his pending off court issues. Now that he's another name to throw out there, would you guys be willing to make a trade in order to get him?

2. Wink23

Wink23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice:</div><div class="quote_post">The Blazers have made it rather clear that they want to remove Randolph from their roster with his pending off court issues. Now that he's another name to throw out there, would you guys be willing to make a trade in order to get him?</div>

I dont think so, they traded Rasheed to make Randolph the franchise player, besides his one or two court legal issure, Zach has become a pretty mature player, especially for the Blazers, and he had great numbers last year in the West. It would be great to have him, but I seriously doubt the Blazers are shopping him.

3. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wink23:</div><div class="quote_post">It would be great to have him, but I seriously doubt the Blazers are shopping him.</div>
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Randolph is wearing out his welcome

After the player's latest run-in with the law, the Blazers hint they are rethinking plans to offer him a lucrative long-term deal

Zach Randolph might have jeopardized a big payday, and possibly his future with the Trail Blazers, this week when he was associated with a nightclub shooting in Anderson, Ind. </div>
    Link to story - http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian...21577261850.xml

4. explosive

explosive JBB JustBBall Member

I think that bringing Randolph here is impossible. The Magic have always prided themselves on the fact that they have always drafted, signed, or traded for players that keep out of trouble off the court. Then, if a player is on the Magic roster and gets in trouble off the court, it usually ends up getting them released or traded.

I, for one, think that the Magic are fine as-is. They've got a good bunch of guys that can play and keep out of trouble off the court. Not only that, Randolph won't fit in with our offense seeing how we're so well-stocked at the PF position and there is no way that he can play center.

5. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

It would be nice for him to be in Orlando but I dont see it happening,for one the Magic wouldnt be able to give much for him,but maybe if the Blazers want to trade him bad enough they will take lesser value for him.

Plus the Blazers have Shareef waiting to get his so if they trade Randolph that would just give Reef the starting spot.

6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Forget what some columnist writes. All through junior high, high school, and college at MSU he was getting into trouble with the law. They knew about all this, and they still wanted to make him the centerpiece of their team. I doubt he'll be traded anytime soon.

Look at GM John Nash had to say -

"These situations don't sit well with what we are trying to achieve and accomplish here in Portland,"

"It's safe to say we are concerned about players' character," Nash said. "And this certainly doesn't enhance one's value."

"I love the player, and I like the individual, because I truly believe he has a good heart," Nash said. "But I am concerned that these types of things continue to happen."

To me those quotes don't give any intimation of trade. They might in the slightest way mean that he's not worth MAX anymore to them, but I even doubt that. What did you expect him to say? "We support Randolph's actions."? Of course he's going to say what he said. This columnist is trying to invent a story that's not there.

7. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Depending who we have to give up to get him. Like if we give up someone like Mobely and Stevenson in a pagage deal I say it is not worth it. Then if we trade someonelike Hill and a future lets say 2nd round pick I would do it just because neither players are sure things. Yet with Randolph he could get off like Kobe did and never even mnake the official case in court.

I would not trade anyone we got from the Houston deal for him, nor Stevenson what I would want to do is trade Hill and possibly Bogans for Randolph and a couple contracts to make things match. It all depends though you know its like saying would you want to get Baron Davis of course we would a back court of B- Davis and Stevey Franchise would be sick, but what would we have to give up for him we do not want to trade all our depth for a good player like the Heat did and have people question our teams depth.

8. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

They shouldn't trade him. Although he's had his fare share of off court issues, he's still a keeper. He's already established himself as one of the best Power Forwards in the League, and was doing so well last year until 'Reef arrived, though he did benefit from Ratliffs presence. You absolutely need a big man in the West to be contenders, and Randolph is a big.

There's no one they can possibly replace him with that will bring them to a contenders form. The Magic have Howard and he's not going anywhere. The Blazers are stockpiled at the 2's and 3's, so Mobley or anyone else wouldn't improve them in a trade.

9. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure Skillz:</div><div class="quote_post">Depending who we have to give up to get him. Like if we give up someone like Mobely and Stevenson in a pagage deal I say it is not worth it. Then if we trade someonelike Hill and a future lets say 2nd round pick I would do it just because neither players are sure things. Yet with Randolph he could get off like Kobe did and never even mnake the official case in court.
    .</div>
    I'm guessing... you are prepared to take him, if you don't have to give anything for him? Did I get your msg. right?

10. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BigBadWolf:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm guessing... you are prepared to take him, if you don't have to give anything for him? Did I get your msg. right?</div>
    No you got my message all wrong. I am prepared to take him considering what talent we have to give up in return. If it involves a marjority of our young talent then absolutily not if it involves Stevenson and like Bogans along with a second round pick then I would say we do it. If it involves Bogans, Stevenson, and like Mobely then hell no thats what I am saying and that is my message.

We should not sacrafise our entire depth for a player who has had previous off the court troubles and has had a history of having bad encounters with teammates. Although it was posted in the Blazers board he wont be charged which basically puts an end to all trade rumors.

11. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure Skillz:</div><div class="quote_post">Depending who we have to give up to get him. Like if we give up someone like Mobely and Stevenson in a pagage deal I say it is not worth it.</div>

If you think that Mobley and Stevenson for Randolph is not worth it for the Magic, then you've got too much fan bias. There's no question that a Mobley/Stevenson for Z-Bo deal would be an absolute steal for the Magic. Randolph is a 23 year old up-and-coming all-star who has the potential to be one of the top ten players in the NBA. He's already one of only a handful of players averaging more than 20 ppg and 10 rpg. He ranks 16th in ppg, 6th in rpg, and 14th in efficiency; keep in mind that this is only his first year getting serious playing time as well. If you've ever followed a season of Zach's like I have, your opinion would change. He owns the glass. He's shorter than pretty much everyone else he goes up against, but thanks in large part to Tom Izzo at Michigan State, he knows how to use his weight to absolutely dominate the game on both offense and defense.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Then if we trade someonelike Hill and a future lets say 2nd round pick I would do it just because neither players are sure things.</div>

Grant Hill? Are you talking about that soon-to-be 32 year old who hasn't played more than 30 games since 2000 and is even questionable for next season and should only be an easily injured role player if he ever even does come back.

Man, where have I been these last few months? The Magic have turned into a super team. Mobley and Stevenson are a lot better than Zach Randolph, and all of a sudden Grant Hill's coming back not only without the risk of injury but with also the talent level needed to garner a player such as Zach Randolph through a trade. Hell, where was I?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yet with Randolph he could get off like Kobe did and never even mnake the official case in court.</div>

Did you just compare Kobe's case to Randolph's? Kobe allegedly raped a girl; Randolph held back his brother during a club shooting. Randolph has already been cleared of the charges anyway. How could you comment on this and not know that?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I would not trade anyone we got from the Houston deal for him, nor Stevenson what I would want to do is trade Hill and possibly Bogans for Randolph and a couple contracts to make things match.</div>

And as a Grizzlies fan I wouldn't trade Lorenzen Wright for Shaq, nor Stromile Swift. What I would want to do is trade Ryan Humphrey and possibly Andre Emmett.

Wake up... the Magic players aren't worth that much.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">They shouldn't trade him. Although he's had his fare share of off court issues, he's still a keeper. He's already established himself as one of the best Power Forwards in the League, and was doing so well last year until 'Reef arrived, though he did benefit from Ratliffs presence. You absolutely need a big man in the West to be contenders, and Randolph is a big. </div>

I agree.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">There's no one they can possibly replace him with that will bring them to a contenders form. The Magic have Howard and he's not going anywhere.</div>

I agree, but Howard is on the Rockets. [​IMG]

12. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">If you think that Mobley and Stevenson for Randolph is not worth it for the Magic, then you've got too much fan bias. There's no question that a Mobley/Stevenson for Z-Bo deal would be an absolute steal for the Magic. Randolph is a 23 year old up-and-coming all-star who has the potential to be one of the top ten players in the NBA. He's already one of only a handful of players averaging more than 20 ppg and 10 rpg. He ranks 16th in ppg, 6th in rpg, and 14th in efficiency; keep in mind that this is only his first year getting serious playing time as well. If you've ever followed a season of Zach's like I have, your opinion would change. He owns the glass. He's shorter than pretty much everyone else he goes up against, but thanks in large part to Tom Izzo at Michigan State, he knows how to use his weight to absolutely dominate the game on both offense and defense. </div>

He may have done all of those things, but he has had a ton of negatives off the court. Isiah Rider was a good scorer yet he ahd so many troubles off the court would you take a risk on him right now. Mobely and Stevenson fit in with what the Magic are tirng to do and give a all around better team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Grant Hill? Are you talking about that soon-to-be 32 year old who hasn't played more than 30 games since 2000 and is even questionable for next season and should only be an easily injured role player if he ever even does come back.

Man, where have I been these last few months? The Magic have turned into a super team. Mobley and Stevenson are a lot better than Zach Randolph, and all of a sudden Grant Hill's coming back not only without the risk of injury but with also the talent level needed to garner a player such as Zach Randolph through a trade. Hell, where was I?</div>
    He may have questions about all that stuff yet his contract can end if he chooses to opt out after this year meaning that would give the team a lot of cap room or at least some type of manuevering room to get some type of player. With Miles big contract now on there cap they will be looking for all the cap they can get.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Did you just compare Kobe's case to Randolph's? Kobe allegedly raped a girl; Randolph held back his brother during a club shooting. Randolph has already been cleared of the charges anyway. How could you comment on this and not know that?</div>
    That was the best example to come up with at the moment so just go with it.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">And as a Grizzlies fan I wouldn't trade Lorenzen Wright for Shaq, nor Stromile Swift. What I would want to do is trade Ryan Humphrey and possibly Andre Emmett.

Wake up... the Magic players aren't worth that much.</div>
    Humprey is not a 17 points per game scorer, nor is emmett.

13. Knicks Analyst

Knicks Analyst JBB ? Israel ?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure Skillz:</div><div class="quote_post">
    That was the best example to come up with at the moment so just go with it.

</div>
    So instead of leaving it out you had to go ahead and make a ridiculous comparison? Why?! The two cases are totally different, they bear no similarities in any real way. Why go ahead and say that Randolph's puny little incident is SIMILAR to that of SEXUAL ASSAULT? It makes no sense to me and I really dont see the point.

14. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree, but Howard is on the Rockets.</div>

I was reffering to the Kid, Dwight Howard now Juwan. If they were to acquire Randolph, they would have the same situation in Portland with 'Reef and Randolph. Though Howard is more versitile, he's still a 4.

15. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure Skillz:</div><div class="quote_post">He may have done all of those things, but he has had a ton of negatives off the court. Isiah Rider was a good scorer yet he ahd so many troubles off the court would you take a risk on him right now.</div>Rider is around 35 years old right now. Would you take a chance on him? Randolph, however, is 23, and already a 20/10 guy night in night out. Kobe Bryant had off-court troubles, and yet both LA teams were willing to offer max contracts for him. Why so? Because Kobe Bryant has proven that he got game, and to a certain extent, so has Randolph. Also note that many teams took a chance on Rider in his early career; he was only released in Atlanta because he was already past the peak of his abilities and was a team cancer.

16. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Knicks Analyst:</div><div class="quote_post">So instead of leaving it out you had to go ahead and make a ridiculous comparison? Why?! The two cases are totally different, they bear no similarities in any real way. Why go ahead and say that Randolph's puny little incident is SIMILAR to that of SEXUAL ASSAULT? It makes no sense to me and I really dont see the point.</div>
    For such a puny insident it really sent a lot of shock waves through the orginization that last season was planning on building its franchise around the guy. While now before this alligation was shot down where planning on trading him to any team that made a decent offer.

If you dont see what they have in commen open your eyes. Both of these alligations sent shock waves through both of the orginizations and effected them in some way until they where tossed anyway. Anyway back on topic unless you have something else to say.

17. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Both of these alligations sent shock waves through both of the orginizations and effected them in some way until they where tossed anyway.</div>However, even though you know it, Kobe Bryant was still resigned by the Lakers when the case was still up in the air; for max money. What makes you so sure that Randolph won't stay put in Portland?

18. Knicks Analyst

Knicks Analyst JBB ? Israel ?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure Skillz:</div><div class="quote_post">For such a puny insident it really sent a lot of shock waves through the orginization that last season was planning on building its franchise around the guy. While now before this alligation was shot down where planning on trading him to any team that made a decent offer.

If you dont see what they have in commen open your eyes. Both of these alligations sent shock waves through both of the orginizations and effected them in some way until they where tossed anyway. Anyway back on topic unless you have something else to say.</div>
    You kind of over-used the term 'shockwaves' in there [​IMG]

Let's see here, Randolph's incident sent SO many "shockwaves" (your favorite word) through the league that it deserves to be compared to KOBE BRYANT'S CASE IN WHICH KOBE, A PROVEN FRANCHISE PLAYER, WITH A STRONG REPUTATION'S GETS CHARGED WITH SEXUAL ASSUALT? [​IMG]

19. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Rider is around 35 years old right now. Would you take a chance on him? Randolph, however, is 23, and already a 20/10 guy night in night out. Kobe Bryant had off-court troubles, and yet both LA teams were willing to offer max contracts for him. Why so? Because Kobe Bryant has proven that he got game, and to a certain extent, so has Randolph. Also note that many teams took a chance on Rider in his early career; he was only released in Atlanta because he was already past the peak of his abilities and was a team cancer.</div>
    *Really hoping someone posts before me so this is not a double post.* Although a lot of teams may have took a riskat signing rider earlier in his career they where quick to either get rid of him or see there mistake and did not invest as much as they would have had he not had all the off the court problems in him. Although Randolph is a great player and has proven he will be good he is still had a lot of problems be it with teammates or other court problems so I dont see why you would trade a player that can give you 17 a night and a player who is a good scorer off the bench for this guy when you already have a first round pick that is going to be great and you just traded away Gooden a good power forward to invest the future of that position with him.

20. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Knicks Analyst:</div><div class="quote_post">You kind of over-used the term 'shockwaves' in there [​IMG]

Let's see here, Randolph's incident sent SO many "shockwaves" (your favorite word) through the league that it deserves to be compared to KOBE BRYANT'S CASE IN WHICH KOBE, A PROVEN FRANCHISE PLAYER, WITH A STRONG REPUTATION'S GETS CHARGED WITH SEXUAL ASSUALT? [​IMG]</div>
    Alright considering the fact of what the alligations to Kobe did with his rep and what the alligations to Randolph did to almost get him traded I believe the words shock wave was rightfully used be it how many times I used it. Either way you said that they had nothing real apart incomin yet both made significant impacts on the players and there franchises so I would say that is soemthing they had in commen.