Zaza Pachulia Impressive in Loss

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by Shapecity, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

AJC

The Hawks' remaining mystery from training camp was solved in the first eight minutes of Tuesday night's preseason opener against Orlando at Philips Arena.

Zaza Pachulia played flawlessly and without a break. He scored eight points, grabbed four rebounds and didn't miss a shot.

Since Pachulia says as little as possible, his actions will have to speak for him for now. And his performance against his former team --- he spent his rookie season with the Magic --- spoke volumes.

Pachulia's adjustment from reserve to starter might not be as difficult to navigate as he thought. Tuesday night was just an exhibition game, a 104-93 Hawks loss, so perhaps it's bit early to start giving Pachulia rave reviews.

But his work against the Magic --- he finished with a team-high-tying 18 points, six rebounds and two assists in 27 minutes --- was exactly what coach Mike Woodson wanted to see from the player expected to man the middle for the Hawks this season.

"I think anybody playing the power forward or center position has to be a dirty-work player," Woodson said, "especially if you're not a great scorer or a finesse player who's dunking on people and blocking shots above the rim all the time.

"I think Zaza is that kind of guy. And if we can get [efforts like Tuesday night] out of him the rest of the way, we'll be all right."

Pachulia traded elbows and baskets with one of the league's best young big men Tuesday night. Former Southwest Atlanta Christian star Dwight Howard started slower than usual but finished with 15 points and seven rebounds.

Pachulia will have tougher nights --- Shaquille O'Neal is on the schedule a few times this season. But it's what he signed on for when he joined the Hawks this summer.

"This is what I've been working for the last two years," said Pachulia, 21, who began his NBA career as a 19-year-old rookie in Orlando. "I had six starts in my career before this year. But this is a totally different thing. There are a lot of young guys like me, a different system, different city, and I'm starting from the beginning of the season."

Source

2. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I knew Zaza was a good player I just didnt think he'd be this good this quick, its preseason though so you cant judge. Hopefully he doesnt end up having one great game and everybody likes him just because of that one game.

3. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

I'm sure he's going to be a very solid guy for the young Hawks. He's a tough guy, a banger, and he's got enough a mean streak that he's going to go toe to toe with the league's best under the basket. I think he's a real solid fit in A-town, the way they're going to be able to run; Zaza is physical and tough yet he's perfectly capable of getting up and down the court. I think he might make a case to be their best acquisition this off season-in terms of how well he fits with what they're doing. Zaza is primed for a big year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up 8+ points and 7 boards per game. He was a great pickup.

4. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

^ his numbers project to something like 12 points and 10 Boards over 35 min.

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting lessthanjake:</div><div class="quote_post">^ his numbers project to something like 12 points and 10 Boards over 35 min.</div>

He will score more than 12 points a game next season, you can count on it. I think Zaza will be closer to 16 point and 9 rebounds next season.

6. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

oh, I know, I was just sayin, thats what his numbers spread out to. I agree with you as far as the 16 ppg thing. he's gonna get SO MANY more shots here in ATL once his teammates realize what a force he can be.

7. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I dont know about the 16 PPG this year but I can see it in the future just not right now with the crowded roster the Hawks have. This next offseason I'm sure they'll be relieved of that logjam they have at the 3/4 and will be a much better team because then they'll have people they can count on every night getting consistent minutes, or if this doesnt happen I can only see the Hawks with inconsistent players.