Zito to Giants

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rex Grossman 8, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Rex Grossman 8

Rex Grossman 8 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

2. Jon_Vilma

Jon_Vilma NFLC nflcentral.net Member

That's unfortunate.

3. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I'm glad he didn't go to the Yankees. It keeps the price relatively reasonable on Zambrano.

4. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KyleOrton18 @ Dec 28 2006, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm glad he didn't go to the Yankees. It keeps the price relatively reasonable on Zambrano.</div>I don't care about him coming to the Yankees. The Yankees weren't all that interested in signing him. The Yankees source called our interest in him "at best, tepid" to give you an idea of how interested we are. If we'd have inked him I'd have gone "WTF?"That said, it's unfortunate that he went to the Giants because I don't like the idea of the Giants being good. It's my sister's boyfriends favorite team and I don't like them being good.

5. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

Relatively Reasonable? Zito just got a 7 year contract for 120 million. That puts Zambrano on line for a Guaranteed 8 for 160. I'm a bit frustrated though with the Mets because of this, I think they dropped the ball on this one because the remaining Free Agents (Mulder, Weaver, Redman) are nothing special and we desperately need to upgrade our rotation. I think it's safe to tell Lastings Milledge to pack his bags because he is getting traded somewhere for pitching, maybe we can pry Jake Westbrook away from Cleveland as I've always been high on him.

6. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Why do you like Westbrook so much? He's nothing special at all. Above-average at best. If I were the Mets, I'd go back to Oakland and try to get them to budge on either Joe Blanton for Milledge, or Danny Haren for Milledge.I'm glad he went to the Giants. I didn't want him on the Mets.

7. Jon_Vilma

Keith Law on it this morning on ESPN Radio:The Yankees were never really in it, they basically made a call to see what he would cost and were only willing to pay between 12-14 mil per year and once they heard his price from Boras they basically just let that idea go.The Mets didn't want to go more than 4 years but were willing to stretch and give him that 5th year, but a 7 year contract with an 8th year option was just way too long for them.

8. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ Dec 28 2006, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why do you like Westbrook so much? He's nothing special at all. Above-average at best. If I were the Mets, I'd go back to Oakland and try to get them to budge on either Joe Blanton for Milledge, or Danny Haren for Milledge.I'm glad he went to the Giants. I didn't want him on the Mets.</div>He's a Durable Innings Eater with 210 Innings or more each of the last 3 seasons, still in his 20's, and is much better suited to pitch in the National League IMO, not to mention I know Omar Minaya likes Westbrook as he drafted him back in Montreal and I think Rick Peterson could turn him into a great pitcher, just my opinion though.I like Haren too for similar reasons although id pass on Joe Blanton as his WHIP is way too high last season (Although Westbrook's was a bit high himself) and quite honestly I don't think he's that good. I just think Westbrook would come cheaper then either Haren or Blanton as Westbrook is in a contract year.

9. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Dec 28 2006, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Keith Law on it this morning on ESPN Radio:The Yankees were never really in it, they basically made a call to see what he would cost and were only willing to pay between 12-14 mil per year and once they heard his price from Boras they basically just let that idea go.The Mets didn't want to go more than 4 years but were willing to stretch and give him that 5th year, but a 7 year contract with an 8th year option was just way too long for them.</div>Not Supriseing, Mets already got burned on the Pedro contract and no pitcher is worth 7-8 years in my opinion as there is too much risk of them getting injured.

10. Agent Zero

Agent Zero BBW Member

He should've went to Baltimore [​IMG]

11. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Dec 28 2006, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ Dec 28 2006, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why do you like Westbrook so much? He's nothing special at all. Above-average at best. If I were the Mets, I'd go back to Oakland and try to get them to budge on either Joe Blanton for Milledge, or Danny Haren for Milledge.I'm glad he went to the Giants. I didn't want him on the Mets.</div>He's a Durable Innings Eater with 210 Innings or more each of the last 3 seasons, still in his 20's, and is much better suited to pitch in the National League IMO, not to mention I know Omar Minaya likes Westbrook as he drafted him back in Montreal and I think Rick Peterson could turn him into a great pitcher, just my opinion though.I like Haren too for similar reasons although id pass on Joe Blanton as his WHIP is way too high last season (Although Westbrook's was a bit high himself) and quite honestly I don't think he's that good. I just think Westbrook would come cheaper then either Haren or Blanton as Westbrook is in a contract year.</div>He'll be 30 by next season. That's not terribly old, but not terribly young either. I'd rather have Haren or Fat Joe. I would also rather take Harden (the Mets also offered Milledge for him). But he's very injury prone, so that would scare me a lot. But when he's healthy, he's friggin' sick.

12. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ Dec 28 2006, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He'll be 30 by next season. That's not terribly old, but not terribly young either. I'd rather have Haren or Fat Joe. I would also rather take Harden (the Mets also offered Milledge for him). But he's very injury prone, so that would scare me a lot. But when he's healthy, he's friggin' sick.</div>I'd like Haren too, but considering he still has 3 years before hitting Free Agency I doubt the A's let him go for anything other then a serious Overpay. I just think Westbrook is more likely to be available and could be had for less. If the price was the same I think id rather have Haren too though.

13. Jon_Vilma

You know Venom, Randy Johnson was 16th among qualified leaders in WHIP... The Mets could always trade for him... :whistling:JK, he wll go to the National league though, and the team that gets him will get a quality number 2 for next year.

14. iknobaer

iknobaer NFLC nflcentral.net Member

WOOOOT!!!