Zona Overcomes 16 Point Deficit

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by Shapecity, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

This has been an evenly matched game in the 1st half. Illinois zone defense suffocated the talented Wildcats and held them to just 1 rebound 8 minutes into the game. Illinois used crisp ball movement to take a commanding lead, but Zona has closed the gap by getting to the free throw line and pushing the tempo to a faster pace.

Chase Budinger and Marcus Williams are leading the comeback. Lute Olsen has Budinger running the offense and he's creating some easy looks for his teammates. He's done a much better job than Shakur, who continues to over dribble and has a bad habit of keeping his head down instead of surveying the court.

Warren Carter has led the way for Illinois with 12 points. He's very active once he gets into the paint, and he's overpowering the big men Zona has in the post.

Whoever can control the tempo in the second half will win this game.

41-36 Illinois leads.

2. Shapecity

Zona takes the lead on a layup by Shakur plus the foul. Illinois is in serious foul trouble, their two best players both have 4 fouls and will have to watch from the bench.

Zona extends it to 4, layup again by Shakur.

3. Shapecity

Arizona was a different team in the second half and took full advantage of Illinois foul trouble. The dynamic duo of Budinger and Williams picked apart Illinois zone to overcome the 16 point deficit. Zona also got 3 straight key plays by Radenovic to put Zona ahead for good.

4. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I was planning on watching this game, but a conflict happened, UCLA stayed in the game against USC [​IMG] So I kept going back and forth between games, mostly UCLA. From what I saw of Arizona, they're pretty good on the perimeter, but they still don't have a real post player. Radenovic does ok in the post, but we need a big time post player. I wish Kirk Walters would of stepped up this year, but he hasn't, leaving Zona in a jam so far even though Radenovic has done good so far.