Zumaya to DL, out 12 weeks.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AdropOFvenom, May 7, 2007.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Finger surgery to sideline Tigers' Zumaya 12 weeksAssociated PressDETROIT -- Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya is expected to be out for 12 weeks because of a ruptured tendon in his middle right finger.Zumaya, who regularly throws fastballs at over 100 mph, hurt himself while warming up Saturday night at Kansas City. He was examined Monday in New York by Dr. Charles Melone, who was scheduled to perform surgery Thursday.After he was injured, Zumaya said he felt a "shocking pain" because of the injury."I thought maybe my knuckle cracked," he said Saturday. "I went to a curveball and I couldn't even grip the ball. I threw another fastball and it popped again, and a sharp pain ran through my finger. I called down and said, 'I need a trainer quick.'"Zumaya is a key member of a strong bullpen that helped Detroit win the AL pennant last season. He is 1-1 with a 3.63 ERA this season, striking out 17 in 17 1/3 innings.Right-hander Aquilino Lopez was called up when Zumaya went on the disabled list. Righty Jose Mesa will likely pitch more with Zumaya out, and Fernando Rodney and Todd Jones will close out games.Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2863225You had to think it was only a matter of time before someone who throws so hard suffers a major injury. I always liked Zumaya though, so hopefully he gets better and goes back to overpowering hitters.

2. iknobaer

iknobaer NFLC nflcentral.net Member

maybe it was all that guitar hero

3. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

^That was his wrist last season

4. iknobaer

iknobaer NFLC nflcentral.net Member

it could still affect his throwing, whatever..