Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by DajuanWagner#2, Feb 20, 2004.

1. DajuanWagner#2

DajuanWagner#2 JBB JustBBall Member

Zydrunas Ilgauskas, last man standing

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The last time the Cavaliers qualified for the playoff tournament was in 1998.

The backcourt consisted of Brevin Knight and Wesley Person. Cedric Henderson was the small forward and Shawn Kemp, before he became supersized, was the power forward and team's leading scorer. The third rookie in Cleveland's starting lineup was Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

At the time, Z was one of four rookies who were having a major impact on the Cavaliers -- Knight, Henderson, Z and Derek Anderson. All four were named to represent the freshman at the then-Schick Rookie Challenge in Madison Square Garden with Ilgauskas taking home the MVP trophy after scoring 18 points and blocking a pair of shots.</div>

Full story

Nice article, good read!

2. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Great read indeed.

I remember Z stealing the ball from Rod Strickland that year, taking it 3/4's of the court, putting the ball behind his back, then dunking it with 2 hands.

Was one of the most amazing plays I ever saw.

Damn Z was good, if not for the injury, we may have had a Hall Of Famer on our hands.

3. DajuanWagner#2

Too bad he got injured! [​IMG]
    The Cavaliers had been at a safe playoff spot with the team we got today, and Z in good shape, not injured!

*edited KJ, happy now? [​IMG]*

4. jbbKing James

Too* bad, not "to" bad [​IMG]

I am sure many here will remember that play, Z was so much more fast on his feet then, no one could guard him.

5. redscoon

redscoon JBB JustBBall Member

Z's running the floor, behind his back throwdown was one of the greatest moves I have ever seen a big man pull off. If not for his foot problems which devastated his agility and quickness (and I think also made him shy away from physical play after his return) he would be a perennial Eastern Conference all star. His moves and shooting touch are still very good, but his physical inabilites since his numerous surgeries have made him only a shell of what his true potential was.

Perhaps the only Cavalier mystery greater than how good Z could have been is how Cedric Henderson ever started for a playoff team. I can't think of one thing that he did well. He sure found his way to the NBDL in a hurry.

6. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Injurys is the killer of all upcoming stars. Take a look at Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway. Think of what they could have been.

7. jbbKing James

Penny and Grant had a few years of prime basketball though, Z just showed us what he could do here and there. The potential seems limitless.

8. KarmaCav

KarmaCav JBB JustBBall Member

Z still has the potential for good things in this league. His defense has improved as the season wore on and with the insertion of veterans such as Williams. If only Silas can be more effective in utilising his skills in the post. If not, he is only an average player here. Behind LeBron, Z is our best offensive option.

9. CBBI

CBBI JBB JustBBall Member

Z was excellent tonight.

I am glad to see him still in a Cavalier uni myself.

10. jbbKing James

We saw a hook shot from Z tonight, swooping style, I was impressed.

11. Glen Infante

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KarmaCav:</div><div class="quote_post">Z still has the potential for good things in this league. His defense has improved as the season wore on and with the insertion of veterans such as Williams. If only Silas can be more effective in utilising his skills in the post. If not, he is only an average player here. Behind LeBron, Z is our best offensive option.</div>

I agree. Even tho Z has bad feet, he still has his post game and his mid range shot. The plays that are runned for him actually work. Z is number 2 scoring option for a reason.

12. CBBI

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr_Infante:</div><div class="quote_post">Injurys is the killer of all upcoming stars. Take a look at Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway. Think of what they could have been.</div>

Grant Hill might have had a shot at the Hall of Fame if he had been able to keep up his 21/7/6 he averaged every year in Detroit.

13. KarmaCav

Z and those running hooks. A little reminder of an often injured center that played for the Cavs in the 80's and 90's. Brad someone!!!

He is a talent. Dont waste hiom Coach!

14. CBBI

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KarmaCav:</div><div class="quote_post">Z and those running hooks. A little reminder of an often injured center that played for the Cavs in the 80's and 90's. Brad someone!!!

He is a talent. Dont waste hiom Coach!</div>

Big Bad Brad!

Oh sorry.... I was singing to myself...

15. jbbKing James

We have a Brad thread here

Let's bring it to life!

16. KarmaCav

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">We have a Brad thread here

Let's bring it to life!</div>

Unfortunately didn't catch much of Daugherty! Not much NBA in that era down here!!!

He was good in NBA LIve 95! :P

17. Glen Infante

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CBBI:</div><div class="quote_post">Grant Hill might have had a shot at the Hall of Fame if he had been able to keep up his 21/7/6 he averaged every year in Detroit.</div>

Yeah thats terrible, also having the self proclaimed (Next Jordan) title didn't help much.

18. redscoon

redscoon JBB JustBBall Member

Z played a really good game tonight. He did a good job forcing Duncan to make some tough outside shots rather than letting him get to the rack, as evidenced by Duncan going 9-28 from the field.

The one thing that kills me about Z is how he always jumps the man coming around the pick on a pick and roll situation. Z's man always cuts straight to the hoop and he can't get back in time. The Spurs went to that play over and over down the stretch, but thankfully the majority of the time we had guys clogging up the lane so it didn't result in an easy basket. However, it was obvious that they saw what was happening and were going to milk it whenever possible. I'm not sure why Silas doesn't adjust this because it leads to an easy hoop for the opponent about 5 times each game.

Only the Cavs could shut down Tim Ducan, yet get scorched by Scott Williams...

19. DajuanWagner#2

Yeah, I agree with you Redscoon, he played very well defense on Duncan when Boozer came up to short, much of this victory was about Z's defense on Duncan!
    Z can be a hell of a player if he's in shape! [​IMG]

20. Glen Infante

Z is always in shape. It's his confidence that was slipping. He is afraid to get injured again and I don't blame him. Keep it cool Z, your doing great.