'07 Wizards Draft

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Zards, May 21, 2007.

1. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

Re: '07 Wizards Draft

Well, we need a backup SG, period. Someone who is a legit outside threat, not some random guy like Roger Mason. Morris Almond would be a great pick. He'd obviously be there at #16. Arron Afflalo is another possibility. Rudy Fernandez is compared to Manu Ginobili, so he'd be an interesting pick. Now in the second round, we should definitely take a big. How about Stephane Lasme from UMass. He's a lot like Paul Millsap, undersized, but plays like a C on the glass. Aggressive, hustles for loose balls, he's athletic, and he can knock it down from the elbow.

2. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

One thing you forgot to mention about Stephane is that he's an INCRECIBLE shot blocker, arguably the best in the class up there with Oden and Williams. I've seen this guy in person and I agree that he'll be a bit like Paul Millsap. Maybe a little better. He's 24 though so he's probably filled his body and maxed out his potential though.

3. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Legit backup SG? How is Roger Mason not a legit outside threat? He's had multiple games this year where he changed the tempo of the game with his outside shooting. If Hayes gets another chance from Ernie Grunfeld, then we might as well give him one last chance, and if he plays like he has the last part of the season, then he's a liable backup SG behind Deshawn.In the draft, we definitely have to aim for a big man, and aim for a guard/forward in the second round.

4. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ming637 @ May 21 2007, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Legit backup SG? How is Roger Mason not a legit outside threat? He's had multiple games this year where he changed the tempo of the game with his outside shooting. If Hayes gets another chance from Ernie Grunfeld, then we might as well give him one last chance, and if he plays like he has the last part of the season, then he's a liable backup SG behind Deshawn.

In the draft, we definitely have to aim for a big man, and aim for a guard/forward in the second round.</div>
    I disagree. You guys need a center, especially with Haywood asking for a trade, and the centers available at 16. You have Jamison, Pecherov coming over, and of course - the one and only, Andray "KG 2.0" Blatche. You need an better perimeter option off the bench than Roger freakin Mason Jr. If you are satisfied with Mason as the primary backup 2-guard, then your standards are low. Especially when you could get a guy like Arron Afflalo, Derrick Byars, Morris Almond, or Nick Young at 16.

If you wait until 47 to get a wing, you won't get great value while you could get a guy like Herbert Hill, Nick Fazekas, Kyle Visser, or maybe an international big (Gasol? Tomic? Barac?). I think you'd get better value if you took a wing at 16 and get a solid big via trade/free agency.

5. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ May 21 2007, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I disagree. You guys need a center, especially with Haywood asking for a trade, and the centers available at 16. You have Jamison, Pecherov coming over, and of course - the one and only, Andray "KG 2.0" Blatche. You need an better perimeter option off the bench than Roger freakin Mason Jr. If you are satisfied with Mason as the primary backup 2-guard, then your standards are low. Especially when you could get a guy like Arron Afflalo, Derrick Byars, Morris Almond, or Nick Young at 16.If you wait until 47 to get a wing, you won't get great value while you could get a guy like Herbert Hill, Nick Fazekas, Kyle Visser, or maybe an international big (Gasol? Tomic? Barac?). I think you'd get better value if you took a wing at 16 and get a solid big via trade/free agency.</div>You idiot, I said that we needed to get a center in the first round, then aim for a guard.

6. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ming637 @ May 21 2007, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You idiot, I said that we needed to get a center in the first round, then aim for a guard.</div>
    ....... and I disagreed.

7. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ May 22 2007, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>....... and I disagreed.</div>WTF? We're saying the same here. I said that we needed to get a big man in the first round, and make sure that's our first priority. And here's what you said:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I disagree. You guys need a center</div>And here's what I said:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>In the draft, we definitely have to aim for a big man, and aim for a guard/forward in the second round.</div>

8. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ming637 @ May 22 2007, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>WTF? We're saying the same here. I said that we needed to get a big man in the first round, and make sure that's our first priority. And here's what you said:
    And here's what I said:</div>
    I also went on to say that you need a center, BUT you should take a wing with the 16th pick.

9. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

I really doubt there will be many options for you guys with the 47th pick, even though his draft is very deep. I think you have to go big with the 16th pick because you at least have DeShawn Stevenson, Antonio Daniels and Jarvis Hayes on contract for next season. At PF/C you don't have much of anything. Josh McRoberts and Tiago Splitter are both pretty good options at that spot. If your hoping to go guard with the 16th and get a big guy who can play with the 47th pick, good luck.

10. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrewCityBuck @ May 22 2007, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I really doubt there will be many options for you guys with the 47th pick, even though his draft is very deep. I think you have to go big with the 16th pick because you at least have DeShawn Stevenson, Antonio Daniels and Jarvis Hayes on contract for next season. At PF/C you don't have much of anything. Josh McRoberts and Tiago Splitter are both pretty good options at that spot. If your hoping to go guard with the 16th and get a big guy who can play with the 47th pick, good luck.</div>If we get Josh McRoberts, I will seriously commit suicide. At the 47th pick, we could still get a serviceable big man.. Stephane Lasme, Nick Fazekas, Jermareo Davidson, and Herbert Hill are all possibilities.

11. nextstar1019

nextstar1019 BBW Member

first round possibilities: tomic, jason smith, splitter, fernandez, nick young

12. Pacers fan forever

Pacers fan forever BBW Elite Member

Draft the next KG!!!! :yahoo:

13. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nextstar1019 @ Jun 4 2007, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>first round possibilities: tomic, jason smith, splitter, fernandez, nick young</div>Ante Tomic pulled out, which is kind of stupid on his part being that he was the 2nd best international big man prospect behind Jialian in this draft. But yeah, that looks like a good list to me.

14. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zards @ May 22 2007, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If we get Josh McRoberts, I will seriously commit suicide. At the 47th pick, we could still get a serviceable big man.. Stephane Lasme, Nick Fazekas, Jermareo Davidson, and Herbert Hill are all possibilities.</div>
    ....Why would we do that. We have Big man depth, it's just that none of them have the capability to start. Taking a mid-second rounder won't help us add a starting center. A possibility is drafting Tauren Green with our second rounder, if he falls that far. Donnel Taylor really hasn't shown signs of becoming a decent bench player in the NBA which I think Green could be.

Apparantely Jason Smith was excelling today in the workouts and believes that "he has what the Wizards need." I'm leaning towards drafting him after the first day [​IMG]

15. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Jun 8 2007, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>....Why would we do that. We have Big man depth, it's just that none of them have the capability to start.Taking a mid-second rounder won't help us add a starting center. A possibility is drafting Tauren Green with our second rounder, if he falls that far. Donnel Taylor really hasn't shown signs of becoming a decent bench player in the NBA which I think Green could be.Apparantely Jason Smith was excelling today in the workouts and believes that "he has what the Wizards need." I'm leaning towards drafting him after the first day [​IMG]</div>Good point, but I still think we need to take a SG with our pick. Roger Mason definitely does not cut it, and Hayes is an SF. Taurean Green would be awesome to nab in the 2nd round, AD would be the perfect mentor for him. I don't like Jason Smith that much. He has alligator arms, and centers just need to have long arms. His wingspan is the same as his height... He can run the floor, and he's athletic, but he's not going to help us defensively. Then again, I'd rather have him than McRoberts or Gray.

16. noballer08

noballer08 BBW Elite Member

Jason Smith probably won't even be effective at center in the NBA since his game is around the perimeter. This is why I don't agree with the Wiz taking him either because they have a similar (albeit more athletic and rangy) player in Antawn Jamison. Unless they can develop him with his back to the basket, they should go for a different type of player.

17. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

Apparently Javaris Crittenton and Nick Young were most impressive on workouts today. I wouldn't mind taking either of them, both will be aggressive off hte bench.