|0fficial|Meyers The Terrible

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

On a positive note. The -30 of his game last night was good enough to raise his PER from 7.9 to 8.2

Jade Falcon likes this.
  2. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

The only thing he impacts is Paul Allen's saving's account.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  3. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Was anyone actually able to watch that whole clip? I made it to like the one minute point, and just had to skip the rest. Wow....

Jade Falcon likes this.
  4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

First thing that jumps out at me is, when asked about his play, he never mentions defense. It's all about his shot.

riverman and Jade Falcon like this.
  5. selloutking

selloutking BALL DON'T LIE!

it sure would be great to be a part of the media in this situation, just make subtle jabs about things like that.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

7. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    IMHO, Butters (and Crabbe for that matter) was re-signed with the idea that Neil could extract some value out of him from another team. We'll see if Neil was right.

But as of now, his stats for this year are shockingly bad, including his 3FG%.

He's a good dude, but we can't currently afford to pay a 3rd stringer $10 mil/year.

8. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

I appreciated it when he cut that hideous mop of hair off but didn't feel it worthy of a thread.

9. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Yet another thread designed just to shit on the dude? And this is what you come up with?

HolyBackboard and BBert like this.
  10. Natebishop3

Ah yes, more knee jerk reactions from the young buck. I have read recently that college students today have no critical thinking skills. I'm starting to believe it.

11. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

For all the shit the guy gets around here, I actually appreciate that he's playing hurt. How many of you big talkers go to work everyday with two herniated disks in your back and a bad hip? And if you do, how many of you do anything more physically demanding than sitting on your ass all day?

The guy can barely run. He looks like the mummy out there, dragging one leg behind him, but the team needs him and he's playing through the pain. Until we got Nukic, for all his flaws, Meyers was our best screen setter. He's still out there setting screens to try to free up Dame and C.J. and you can see him visibly wince whenever a defender plows into his hip trying to fight through a screen, but he just keep setting them. He had a team leading 7 screen assists in less than 22 minutes played against PHO.

And before any of you know-it-alls try to dispute the value of Meyers Leonard as a screener, consider this, Meyers averages almost as many screen assists per minute as Jusuf Nurkic, and he's been doing it all season, not just for 22 games. Nurkic averages one screen assist every 5.6 minutes. Meyers averages one screen assist every 5.9 minutes.

Is he overpaid? Sure, but so are Crabbe, Turner and Ezili, even more so IMHO. For some reason people just seem to like to shit all over Meyers, but until some of you shit talkers start doing your job with a bad back, you may want to give the guy a little more respect.

BNM

Denny Crane, Darkwebs, Pridan and 8 others like this.
  12. Natebishop3

Maybe the intent of my thread wasn't clear...

With all the "official super disco DIY appreciation threads" around here, there has never been a "Meyers Leonard Appreciation" thread on this forum. I just thought that was interesting.

13. Boob-No-More

I didn't quote you, or mention you by name. My response was about the general way Meyers Leonard is this forum's favorite whipping boy. Yet, he's the one out there playing through pain to help his team win. Nurkic and Davis are out and Ezeli has not played one minute. So, I think the one guy who is lacing them up and playing through pain at least deserves a little respect, if not appreciation.

So again, I appreciate that he's playing through pain. If this is to become the de facto Meyers Leonard Appreciation Thread, it would be nice if at least one person said something appreciative about him.

BNM

Denny Crane, BBert and HailBlazers like this.
  14. Natebishop3

I appreciate that the dude seems to be a positive influence on the team chemistry. He seems like a very positive guy. It sucks because he's going through some personal shit off the court with his dog. I think the team has mishandled his development. Firing Kim Hughes has clearly been a huge step back for him.

15. Boob-No-More

Also, trying to make him into a stretch 4 was a mistake. They should have groomed him to be a center that occasionally steps out to the 3-point line - like Brook Lopez or Marc Gasol (comparing role, not talent). I know part of that is on Meyers and his inability to focus on multiple things in real time, but as soon as they cast him in the stretch 4 role, his rebounding, shot blocking and even dunking all disappeared.

And, don't say those things never existed. He blocked more shots his rookie year than his 2nd, 3rd and 4th years combined. His TRB% in his second and third years was above average for an NBA big, not elite, but above average. He also had 53 dunks his rookie year, but only a total of 56 in the four seasons since. The raw tools were there and he was making progress when we had a real big man coach.

BNM

Jade Falcon, Darkwebs, BBert and 3 others like this.
  16. BlazerBeav

BlazerBeav Well-Known Member

Completely agree, BNM - the decision to turn him into a stretch 4 has been detrimental to his growth as a player.

17. Natebishop3

I'm not even sure why they thought he could be a stretch 4. Compared to someone like Nurk, he's really not that fluid or nimble. He's athletic, but not really quick. It was a bad fit from the start.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  18. Boob-No-More

In his 3rd season, we had Lopez and Kaman on the roster back then and needed him to be a back-up 4 more than a 3rd string center. And then he shot .769 from 3-point range in the MEM series and that cemented his status as a stretch 4, even after we lost Lopez and replaced him with Plumlee.

BNM

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  19. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Yea its really too bad because he's shown he can be an effective one on one defender at the 5.

20. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator