Game Thread 2022-23 Game #67 - BLAZERS @ 76ERS - MARCH 10, 2023 - FRIDAY - 4:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Mar 8, 2023.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

There's no way to quantify or confirm this but i feel like too many of our guys are not as upset as they should be about losing.

Like Grant has gotten so used to this after his time in Philly and Detroit that I don't think he cares as much. Ant... I just dont know yet. He was part of the tank last year and picked up some habits. Sharpe is too young to care.

Nurkic looks upset and gets really down but doesn't really correct his mistakes by overcorrecting like he used to a few yrs ago.

The sad thing is I dont know about Chauncey. He seems to care but the way he brushes off losses in postgame interviews is uninspiring. I dunno if he's the same in the locker room, though.

We miss Josh. He cared.

You can just tell how much this is eating at Dame.

I hope we target guys who prioritize winning this summer. It's a mentality that can manifest into tangible on court improvement.

Whyachi, UKRAINEFAN and Hoopguru like this.
  2. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

great game and an even better result fams.

3. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

If anything this game is a good indicator that the blazers are not that far off.

They went toe to toe with an eastern conference contender on the road when they were mostly healthy.

What this tells me is that this team is likely to be one move and upgrade in coaching from being a pretty decent team.

Cam gives this team another scorer and ball handler.it is still too small and an upgrade at center will help, either by replacing nurk with a mobile big or replacement for the backup center.

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Chauncey Billups, Tank Commander.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Problem is the refs treat Embiid like the new (old) Harden and hate Nurk. Foul him out and we have zero chance to win.

6. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Thank you Embiid!

7. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Over half the NBA would be at least pretty decent if they got an upgrade and better coaching.

We are a mediocre team, stuck between building around our aging superstar and looking to the future, simultaneously wasting Lillard's best years while using assets on bringing in guys like Jerami Grant.

If Dame were, say, 26 years old it would make sense to go for an upgrade by sacrificing more of the future (and hope that it's more successful than it ever was under Olshey or Cronin) but we should high five Dame, get as much young talent and assets as we can while trading him, and look to the future where, if we are sitting at 12th in the conference, at least we have a team that can be better than pretty decent after a year or two of development and additional draft picks.

robe likes this.
  8. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Any given night in the NBA. One game doesn’t really change anything. Most the game the Sixers were clanking open 3’s that they usually make.

I think they need more than just slight upgrades. We’ve supposedly been doing slight upgrade tinkering for years. We need difference makers.

9. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

there were several head scratching moments near the end of this game.
    the play that irked me the most, was a severe defensive glitch. Jerami Grant strolled through the paint with a driving Sixer inbound. Instead of moving his feet with the ballhandler, Grant jumped to the opposite side of Reddish while gently coaxing Cam to guard the driving Philly player. Jerami casually hopped away from the play to stand near Reddish's man by the 3 point line. Cam couldn't catch the ball handler. Eubanks was busy resetting his 3 second paint plodding. The lane was left wide open for a Philadelphia poster jam.

10. andalusian

Well, the tinkering is finally done right. We started with dame, cj, norm and nurk as the only guys you could expect to score consistently - 3 of them were undersized, and we had no good perimeter defenders for a long time.

The blazers now have dame, ant (undersized), grant, maybe cam (not undersized) and nurk. Definitely more consistent scorers and a bit more size.

Add Matisse being a good perimeter defenders and the blazers are a lot closer than what they have been for a very long time.

The one game was the first time we have seen all of these guys play somewhat healthy - so it is a lot more than just a random single game issue IMHO, even with dame having a so so scoring game by his standards, the team is a lot harder to defend.

They are still undersized, they still need an upgrade at center and or power forward, but they sure seem like a more balanced roster

11. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Agree, but seems unlikely to happen

Ed O likes this.
  12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Yep we looked really good last night. That effort will beat most teams. Winning streak incoming.

13. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Cam Reddish has been a nice little revelation I agree. I just don’t think a Lillard/Simons backcourt will ever amount to winning recipe.

I agree yesterday was very encouraging. I think Simons and Nurk need to go in order for us to really cross that bridge.

14. andalusian

We need a big rotation (c/pf) upgrade for sure.

I am not certain that ant has to go if the rest of the roster is balanced and can defend, but I am not vehemently opposed to him being part of a package that upgrades the big rotation significantly

15. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

IDK man.....they have been crazy inconsistent all year with focus and energy.
    I think we benefitted by 76ers missing a lot of open shots.
    Let's see if the Blazers can duplicate that performance if they have to take the ball out of the net more often.
    My sauces still like the tank tbh.

16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Can’t really talk about earlier in the year. Last night was the first time Nurk, MT, and Cam played together and the early returns were good.