4 players who shouldn't be back

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KeepOnRollin, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

“Getting my body right, getting a little bit stronger, a little bit bigger,” he said “My mindset was, get my body right.”

That sounds a bit like he wasn't 100% healthy to me. Or maybe he didn't want to play basketball, which is the nod I gave in my post you responded to.

kjironman1 likes this.
  2. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Sarr is clearly a guy.

3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Dude, he's not even 21. He didn't miss games while "at" Kentucky (saying "at" because that was clearly just to wait to declare for the draft, IMHO) because he was hurt. He missed them because his people/group didn't want him to play.

BassPlaya likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

so....huh?

it seems what you are saying is don't trade a player unless what you get for that player is a price no team would pay. Don't trade a dime unless you get a quarter?

Ant for Franz Wagner is pipedream material. 31 out of 30 GM's would laugh at that suggestion. I get you were using some hyperbole to make a point, but that kind of imbalanced equation sure narrows discussion. You did say you were willing to consider Ant for some other forward so it does look like you're open to some compromise that sets the bar lower than Wagner

I am curious about something that is often said about Ant by his advocates: "Blazers need Ant's shooting"...my question is why? What is the playoff matchup they are anticipating Ant's shooting being a big factor? But if, for example, Portland is headed for 2 or 3 more lottery seasons (seems almost certain at this point, right?), what good will Ant's shooting do? Add a useless win or two? By the way, Grant is a better shooter that Ant; I'd trade both though

I'd also say this: after what Ant said yesterday about wanting to play for a winning team, the idea he'd be willing to come off the bench is scrubbed. There's no way he'd be willing to be a 6th man on a lottery team. And, he only has 2 seasons left on his contract. Cronin didn't try to build a winner around Dame; if he tries to build one around Ant he's nuts. In fact, I think it's likely only a matter of time before the Blazers have a disgruntled Simons on the team

BIG Q and PtldPlatypus like this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Ant is the guy who needs to move on...he's had 6 years here and during his tenure we've spiraled downward. Disappears in the first half of games and goes full tilt ISO in the 4th qtr. He's making a chunk of the salary cap and Banton to me not only replaces him on the cheap but plays defense and rebounds. Sounded to me like Ant doesn't like the weather in Portland. Read that he blames injuries on lack of sunshine in Portland....Florida guy. Nas and Dame were his best friends on the team...he's the last of thee Olshey era....trade him now and get a 3 and D tall young player and draft capital for him. Trading Grant means you want to be worse and let Murray and Walker play his minutes. Also frees a bunch of cap space. Thybulle and Grant could be traded together as they are supposed to be best friends on the team...let them move on together. Should get you a core starter in return. Brogdan sounded like he's gone and he could play for a contender next season. Of all the vets to keep, Brogdan is probably the best mentor for the young guys. ..Williams I have no clue about but you'd be selling low on him. If he can play a season he's a great backup 5 behind Ayton. Ayton I want to be our center for a decade. Moses Brown and Badji will probably be Remix players next season

Phatguysrule likes this.
  6. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Like Dame and CJ. I miss having two short guards on the court together.

7. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Honestly I don’t want to trade Ant until I’m sure Scoot will be better than him. Ant has an amazing long ball that defenses have to stop. Scoot doesn’t have anything yet that defenses fear like that. Keep both until one is a clear winner. They cannot coexist on a team that takes defense seriously.

BonesJones, BBert and SlyPokerDog like this.
  8. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

So you don't find it at all problematic that he just... chose not to play basketball. For a year.

Of all the guys who have played in the NBA, almost none of them have decided to do that, and he did.

But you think that's not an issue? OK.

Whether it was injury or not, it's an issue given he just had another lost season where he was hurt. Or just chose not to play. Whatever you think, I guess, is what matters.

9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

[​IMG]

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Let's just keep Simons and Scoot so we can have another 10 years of undersized guard play!

riverman likes this.
  11. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

If there is an amazing trade offer for Ant, take it.

If there is an amazing trade offer for Sharpe, take it.

If there is an amazing trade offer for Scoot, take it.

Nobody on this roster should be untouchable.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    BassPlaya and SlyPokerDog like this.
  12. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

it seems what you are saying is don't trade a player unless what you get for that player is a price no team would pay. Don't trade a dime unless you get a quarter? No, I was saying don't trade a dime if you are getting a nickel back. I would take another dime if it was a different position. I just would not give him away.

Ant for Franz Wagner is pipedream material. 31 out of 30 GM's would laugh at that suggestion. I get you were using some hyperbole to make a point, but that kind of imbalanced equation sure narrows the discussion. You did say you were willing to consider Ant for some other forward so it does look like you're open to some compromise that sets the bar lower than Wagner.

Yes, it is a pipe dream, but I think Orlando could benefit from Ant, and a top 3-4 pick plus Ant is a pretty good deal for them. They get a shooter from a hometown guy and a pick to replace Franz. They have the salary cap to do so. This might be appealing if they crash and burn the first round. But yeah it is a long shot and it was just an example of the type of player I would want back.

I am curious about something that is often said about Ant by his advocates: "Blazers need Ant's shooting"...my question is why? What is the playoff matchup they are anticipating Ant's shooting being a big factor? But if, for example, Portland is headed for 2 or 3 more lottery seasons (seems almost certain at this point, right?), what good will Ant's shooting do? Add a useless win or two? By the way, Grant is a better shooter that Ant; I'd trade both though
    How does his shooting help when the game is on the line? If they don't double him I would say quite a bit. he will score, if they surround him with others

Seems pretty clear to me. The Blazers need scoring off the beach and they need players who can create their own shot at the end of games. Despite what you or any other Blazer fan thinks, Ant is good at it. Especially if he is surrounded by other good players which would prevent the opposing team from doubling him. He is a 3-level scorer.

I'd also say this: after what Ant said yesterday about wanting to play for a winning team, the idea he'd be willing to come off the bench is scrubbed. There's no way he'd be willing to be a 6th man on a lottery team. And, he only has 2 seasons left on his contract. Cronin didn't try to build a winner around Dame; if he tries to build one around Ant he's nuts. In fact, I think it's likely only a matter of time before the Blazers have a disgruntled Simons on the team[/QUOTE]

So because he said he was tired of losing and wanted to win, he therefore would not come off the bench if it helped them win? Iwould hope he is tired of losing, they all should be. Winning cures all. Ant will get his minutes regardless. If they keep losing, yes he will be disgruntled....they all will be. But we are all banking on Scoot and Sharpe surpassing him. And if /when they do, why would Ant be pissed? Those two players improving is what it will take for the Blazers to start winning....which is what everyone wants....including Ant

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    SharpesTriumph likes this.
  13. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    No I don't think that's an issue. It's a massive unmitigated nothing burger.

14. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I don’t think that meant injury at all. They were holding him to mature a bit for the draft and didn’t want to take a chance on college.
    Personally I think the Blazers lucked out with the way things worked out.
    I think he will become something very special.

HailBlazers and julius like this.
  15. kjironman1

You mean untouchable I’m assuming.

Tince likes this.
  16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Nobody should be touching the players. Inappropriate.

Tince and SlyPokerDog like this.
  17. kjironman1

I’ve had my Harassment Training at my place of employment. I’m really good at it now!

Chris Craig, riverman and SlyPokerDog like this.
  18. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The whole mindset of the ripcityproject piece that was linked is what I find to say "fan" rather than "GM". Fans see guys on the roster whose game, (attitude, size, defense...whatever) they dislike and they say that the Blazers have to get rid of them. GMs look at all of the guys on the roster as assets. Whether they can bring back a quality player in a trade or not, they still represent an asset that can be used as a part of a future trade. Until a trade is being discussed, it's pretty much irrelevant to discuss dumping players.

19. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

'un' missing

20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You have to let it go, we're never going to get anything for Raef Lafrentz's expiring contract.

BIG Q, kjironman1 and SheedSoNasty like this.