Antawn Jamison

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by LebronKINGJames, Aug 4, 2004.

1. LebronKINGJames

LebronKINGJames JBB JustBBall Member

IMO, the Wizards are now contender's because of one person. [​IMG]

Antawn Jamsion!

[​IMG]

2. SunshineRain

SunshineRain JBB JustBBall Member

Having watched him play for one year in Dallas, he proved to be one of
    my favorite players, and a definite fan favorite. It was incredible how
    he made an impact on the game immediately. He probably leads the league
    in pointer per second that he has the ball in his hand. He's just so quick
    to get his shot off. Buuuuut, in Dallas, he was sneaking back door while
    Dirk, Nash, Finley or Walker drew the defense. Whenever the Mavs put
    the ball in his hand and said, "score", he was miserable. He's more the
    kind of player that accumulates points in the flow of the game, rather
    than a guy that creates points.

He'll always be one of my favorite players because he is a class act,
    but he needs to be the second best player on a team. I don't see him
    ever leading a team that goes very far. Sorry.

3. Xman

Xman JBB JustBBall Member

Well I don't think he makes you contenders. He's a great rebounder for SF, and has a really good post game. He can play on the outside put is more of an inside player. I think he will help take you guys to playoffs, but not much else.

4. Troy Wingate

Troy Wingate JBB JustBBall Member

If Jamison can play the same way he did for Dallas last season, he can help the Wizards make the playoffs. But he needs guys like Gilbert Arenas, Larry Hughes and Kwame Brown to help him. Like SunShine said, he's not the type of player who can be the go to guy, but is the type of player who gets his points from pure hustle.

5. jenike

jenike JBB JustBBall Member

Didn't Jamison lead the Warriors with 22ppg? You don't get that by not being able to score. I think he can be a leader and I love what the wizards have done with their team this off-season. I see nothing but good things for the Wiz.

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I think he makes us contenders..we would of been in the playoffs last year if Arenas, Stack, and Hughes could all stay healthy at teh same time, and Jamison is better than stack now-a-days so we should be able to contend for the 6th or 7th seed..health will make us fall though, we must stay healthy this year and so far it hasnt started out good with Kwame breaking 3 bones in his foot.

7. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

he doesnt make yall contenders but he does give you a legitimate scoring threat who can score in any way...hes also a good rebounder...him, Arenas and Brown should be a nice trio for the Wizards...

8. Mamba

HE makes us contenders for hte playoffs easily..he was our missing peace, now the championship..hell no we still need Kwame to develop, we need some more bench pieces if we want to contend for a title within 5 years

9. eYeKey

eYeKey JBB JustBBall Member

In the wacky world of sports, you never know. The only thing that will make us contenders is playing offense, defense, and coaching better than a .500 level for 82 games. All this speculation is just that....speculatory.

10. FFSBasketball

FFSBasketball JBB JustBBall Member

I still think we need a couple more pieces. I don't trust Arenas at PG still, and I still think they need much more contribution from Jarvis and Jared. But if they get that, the playoffs could be in sight.

I would like to see a rotation like:

A-B-C
    Blake-Arenas-Hughes
    Arenas-Hughes-Jarvis
    Jarvis-Jamison-Jared
    Jamison-Etan-Jared
    Kwame-Haywood-Etan

Mixing in lineups like:
    Blake/Arenas/Jamison/Kwame/Haywood
    Or
    Arenas/Hughes/Jamison/Etan/Kwame

I'd give Jarvis the starting nod, though, because he showed flashes before he hit the rookie wall, and then got injured. I really like Eddie Jordan, and I think we have a pretty good chance next year. The only roadblock is that Shaq just bought a house in our division.

11. og15

og15 JBB *********

Championship contenders? No

Playoff contenders? Yes as long as Kwame is healthy, he's the key.

Jamison isn't going to be leading the team, it shold be clear to everyone that it's Arenas and Kwame's team, Jamison will get to score, but he won't be that "main man".

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Blake-Arenas-Hughes
    Arenas-Hughes-Jarvis
    Jarvis-Jamison-Jared
    Jamison-Etan-Jared
    Kwame-Haywood-Etan</div>
    Having Blake and Arenas in the backcourt won't workout too well because of the size and defensive disadvantage Arenas will have.

12. FFSBasketball

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Championship contenders? No</div>

Agreed.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Playoff contenders? Yes as long as Kwame is healthy, he's the key.</div>

Also agreed, but it's not just Kwame. The whole team has to be mostly healthy. Last year was hell.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Jamison isn't going to be leading the team, it shold be clear to everyone that it's Arenas and Kwame's team, Jamison will get to score, but he won't be that "main man".</div>

I never thought I'd hear someone say it's "Kwame's team". It's Arenas' and Jamison's team, and if Kwame can get his act together, perhaps his team. And Jamison isn't a vocal leader, but I do think he has leadership skills that must be used on this team.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Having Blake and Arenas in the backcourt won't workout too well because of the size and defensive disadvantage Arenas will have.</div>

I disagree - I think that it gives Washington a good scorer and passer in the backcourt, and I don't think that he'll have that hard of a time on defense. They will have a size disadvantage, but I think that they'll more likely benefit from that backcourt on offense than be hurt on D. After all, I hate to throw out the Iverson argument, but Philly did manage with a backcourt where the tallest player was 6-3. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

13. FFSBasketball

Hmm, forgot about Peeler in my rotation. He'll be a nice addition.

14. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting FFSBasketball:</div><div class="quote_post">

Also agreed, but it's not just Kwame. The whole team has to be mostly healthy. Last year was hell.</div>
    I agree with you on this right here..Arenas has to stay healthy, along with Kwame and Hughes. Kwame and Hughes are going to be the key to this season I believe..if Hughes can settle for being a 4th option on the team behind Kwame, Arenas, and Jamison then we should have no problems unless injuries want to come and bug us again this year.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I never thought I'd hear someone say it's "Kwame's team". It's Arenas' and Jamison's team, and if Kwame can get his act together, perhaps his team. And Jamison isn't a vocal leader, but I do think he has leadership skills that must be used on this team.</div>
    I dont think this is Jamison's team at all, he isnt a player that can lead a team to the playoffs..this is def. Arenas' team, he runs the show and reports are that he told eddie jordan he wont play any other positon other than PG so I think he will be solid there, he has been in the gym all year perfecting his game trying to make it flawless i like that. And we all know we need a bigman to win so that is why it becomes Kwame's team also..and plus with all the reports that Grunfeld and EJ have said about him hitting the weights harder than ever, adding more moves, and getting his jumper down he should really step up this year and help out the team. All Wiz fans can do is hope that hsi foot injury isnt to serious.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I disagree - I think that it gives Washington a good scorer and passer in the backcourt, and I don't think that he'll have that hard of a time on defense. They will have a size disadvantage, but I think that they'll more likely benefit from that backcourt on offense than be hurt on D. After all, I hate to throw out the Iverson argument, but Philly did manage with a backcourt where the tallest player was 6-3. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.</div>
    I have to completely disagreee here with you because Blake isnt ready to start in the NBA..he is a decent PG and a steal for a 2nd round pick but is far from being able to start for us when we have Larry Hughes and Gilbert Arenas back in the backcourt. Hughes gets up to play D he loves it and he is perfect for us because he is pretty lengthy..and Arenas can play D when he chooses too...he gets too lazy and yes Arenas turns the ball over too much and he shoots too many bad shots but he said he would improve there and I believe him..he wont accept playing the 2 guard, he wants to be the 1.

15. Mamba

PG- Gilbert Arenas / Steve Blake / Juan Dixon
    SG- Larry Hughes/ Anthony Peeler / Jarvis Hayes
    SF- Antawn Jamison / Jarvis Hayes / Jared Jeffries
    PF- Kwame Brown / Samaki Walker / Eddie Ruffin
    C- Brendan Haywood / Etan Thomas (very innefective as a starter) / John Peter Ramos (He is too young to be the 2nd backup for us)

That is how the lineup should look and I think it will look very similar to that

16. FFSBasketball

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">I dont think this is Jamison's team at all, he isnt a player that can lead a team to the playoffs..this is def. Arenas' team, he runs the show...</div>Heh, I don't think anyone who made his free agency on a coin flip, and pulled a stunt like he did in Toronto last year (not shooting at all) is ready to be a leader. He has a lot of maturing to do. Jamison, as far as I'm concerned, is the most mature and most experienced of the main options - thus, his team.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">...and reports are that he told eddie jordan he wont play any other positon other than PG so I think he will be solid there, he has been in the gym all year perfecting his game trying to make it flawless i like that. And we all know we need a bigman to win so that is why it becomes Kwame's team also..and plus with all the reports that Grunfeld and EJ have said about him hitting the weights harder than ever, adding more moves, and getting his jumper down he should really step up this year and help out the team. All Wiz fans can do is hope that hsi foot injury isnt to serious.</div>I'd love for Kwame to step up, but unless he goes for 20-10 or something close this year, it won't even be his team next year. He's young, immature, and has a lot to learn. It's not even close to it being his team.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">I have to completely disagreee here with you because Blake isnt ready to start in the NBA..he is a decent PG and a steal for a 2nd round pick but is far from being able to start for us when we have Larry Hughes and Gilbert Arenas back in the backcourt. Hughes gets up to play D he loves it and he is perfect for us because he is pretty lengthy..and Arenas can play D when he chooses too...he gets too lazy and yes Arenas turns the ball over too much and he shoots too many bad shots but he said he would improve there and I believe him..he wont accept playing the 2 guard, he wants to be the 1.</div>Perhaps, but I just can't like a backcourt of 2 pure scorers. No matter what most people say, Arenas is a 2 guard. He plays like a 2 guard. And having 2 SGs in the backcourt could be trouble, that's why I want Blake to start. He may not be ready but he's the passer the WAS could use. And it's not for him to decide what he will or will not "accept". As I recall, AI was pissed at Larry Brown for moving him to the SG. How did that work out? That's what Arenas has to learn - he's not in control here. This isn't his decision. There's a higher up - Eddie Jordan, and then management. He can't just say "I'm not playing the 2" and cross his arms, sitting there stubbornly like a 2-year-old (which he has done). The idea is you listen to the coach, he knows whats best, there's a reason they hired Eddie and not Arenas. Eddie knows what he's doing. This is the kind of immature crap that he likes to pull.

Good points though.

17. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting FFSBasketball:</div><div class="quote_post">Heh, I don't think anyone who made his free agency on a coin flip, and pulled a stunt like he did in Toronto last year (not shooting at all) is ready to be a leader. He has a lot of maturing to do. Jamison, as far as I'm concerned, is the most mature and most experienced of the main options - thus, his team.</div>
    What is wrong with how he made his free agency..he has been going against his odds his whole life, no one said he would make it but look at him now..in 3 years he could be one of the best combo guards in the league..yea he was a little immature but him and Kwame were fighting at the time and it was true Arenas was taking too many shots, he didnt hurt us he got the ball around real well and the next night he had a nice game..he may have growing up to do but he is better suited to lead this team than Jamison is because Jamison already showed he couldnt lead a team in Golden State...Jamison isnt a superstar, he is an all star and a B rate star..he will never be able to lead a team, its just not him. He isnt a vocal leader, which Arenas has already proven to be...this is Arenas' team and I think a lot of Wizard fans would agree with that.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'd love for Kwame to step up, but unless he goes for 20-10 or something close this year, it won't even be his team next year. He's young, immature, and has a lot to learn. It's not even close to it being his team.</div>
    If you read what I said it said if the reports are true and he is actually hit the weights harder, he thought he was going to be playing C so he added some more muscle and if his jumper is really falling with consitency there is no reason why he should average 15 and 10 next year..solidifying his spot on the team and part of the Wizards future..you have to remember it is a contract year for him and I expect nothing less than about 15 a game and 10 boards a game. His D is underrated, I have never seen anyone frustrate Webber, Jermaine Oneal, and other forwards like that...his help D can use some work but his man D is good and will only get better..

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Perhaps, but I just can't like a backcourt of 2 pure scorers. No matter what most people say, Arenas is a 2 guard. He plays like a 2 guard. And having 2 SGs in the backcourt could be trouble, that's why I want Blake to start. He may not be ready but he's the passer the WAS could use. And it's not for him to decide what he will or will not "accept". As I recall, AI was pissed at Larry Brown for moving him to the SG. How did that work out? That's what Arenas has to learn - he's not in control here. This isn't his decision. There's a higher up - Eddie Jordan, and then management. He can't just say "I'm not playing the 2" and cross his arms, sitting there stubbornly like a 2-year-old (which he has done). The idea is you listen to the coach, he knows whats best, there's a reason they hired Eddie and not Arenas. Eddie knows what he's doing. This is the kind of immature crap that he likes to pull.</div>
    Excellent point that he has people above him that he has to listen to but being the star on the team gives you some say in decisions and I think EJ also agrees with him playing the point..Me Personally think he is better suited at the two, but if he dedicates himself to the point then there is no reason why he wont be able to produce there..EJ always says this guy has soo much love for the game always the first one in the gym, last one out at night. If he truly wants to be a 1 then he will do it. Plus with Talent like Larry Hughes I think he shouldnt be forced to the bench, that would make no sense to the signing of Peeler then...Hughes would be the 6th man and Peeler would be behind him unless the Wiz wanted to go small and sub in both Larry and Peeler at the same time...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Good points though.</div>
    Not so bad yourself :thumbsup:

18. FFSBasketball

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">What is wrong with how he made his free agency..</div>He picked WAS over LAC by flipping a coin. It came up LAC the first time, so he decided to flip again. Kept going. The seventh one came up WAS, so he signed with WAS. [​IMG]
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">yea he was a little immature but him and Kwame were fighting at the time and it was true Arenas was taking too many shots, he didnt hurt us he got the ball around real well and the next night he had a nice game..</div>He shouldn't have been fighting with Kwame in the first place! That's the point! Mature people don't do that. And the fact that he couldn't admit he was taking too many shots for the good of the team, and that instead he sulked and decided to possibly cost them the game (they barely won) is just too much. And who cares what he did the next night? He had no right to do that. I woulda sat his ass for the next week, if I was Eddie. That's NOT how you play team basketball.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">he may have growing up to do but he is better suited to lead this team than Jamison is because Jamison already showed he couldnt lead a team in Golden State...Jamison isnt a superstar, he is an all star and a B rate star..he will never be able to lead a team, its just not him. He isnt a vocal leader, which Arenas has already proven to be...this is Arenas' team and I think a lot of Wizard fans would agree with that.</div>I think Jamison is more of a leader than Arenas - but I didn't say he should lead the team. Ideally, that's Eddie's job. But Jamison cannot carry a team - you need to build it around him. And I think Ernie knows that, and is doing it. At the same time, I agree that Arenas is a vocal leader - the question is, do you want him to lead, pulling crazy s*** like the stuff he did earlier this year?
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">If you read what I said it said if the reports are true and he is actually hit the weights harder, he thought he was going to be playing C so he added some more muscle and if his jumper is really falling with consitency there is no reason why he should average 15 and 10 next year..solidifying his spot on the team and part of the Wizards future..you have to remember it is a contract year for him and I expect nothing less than about 15 a game and 10 boards a game. His D is underrated, I have never seen anyone frustrate Webber, Jermaine Oneal, and other forwards like that...his help D can use some work but his man D is good and will only get better..</div>I read what you said - but I still have the image of little baby Kwame of the last 3 years in my head. The one with lungs too small for him, because he grew too fast. The one who cried from being yelled at by Doug Collins. The one who played really well for a three quarters (something like 17-9) then took himself out because he was tired this year. Kwame is 20 years old. Arenas is 22. Neither of them are nearly old enough nor mature enough to even think about leading a team. Jamison is 28 and has been on a winning team - seen what works. You can't underestimate the value of that. He's tasted winning and has the hunger to get right back there.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">Plus with Talent like Larry Hughes I think he shouldnt be forced to the bench, that would make no sense to the signing of Peeler then...Hughes would be the 6th man and Peeler would be behind him unless the Wiz wanted to go small and sub in both Larry and Peeler at the same time...</div>Peeler played a fair amount alongside Christie last season - it's entirely plausible that he could play the SF. Besides which, the numbers say SFs shot barely over 40% with him at SF - he plays some pretty good D. I like Hughes, and think he could start - like I said, I just don't like the Arenas/Hughes backcourt. Two shooting guards just doesn't work in my mind.

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Heh, I don't think anyone who made his free agency on a coin flip, and pulled a stunt like he did in Toronto last year (not shooting at all) is ready to be a leader. He has a lot of maturing to do. Jamison, as far as I'm concerned, is the most mature and most experienced of the main options - thus, his team.</div>
    ...but remember in that game in crunch time he pulled through down the stretch and helped the team win the game by hitting a three and making another basket.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">He shouldn't have been fighting with Kwame in the first place! That's the point! Mature people don't do that. And the fact that he couldn't admit he was taking too many shots for the good of the team, and that instead he sulked and decided to possibly cost them the game (they barely won) is just too much. And who cares what he did the next night? He had no right to do that. I woulda sat his ass for the next week, if I was Eddie. That's NOT how you play team basketball.</div>
    Yes bad decision, but a fair amount of players have done it, he should've maybe gotten becnhed the next game, but not for a week.
    Also Arenas is young age, and experience wise, last year was his third season, and he's only 22, so we can hope for improvements.

Kwame isn't 20, he's also 22 years old.

20. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting FFSBasketball:</div><div class="quote_post">He picked WAS over LAC by flipping a coin. It came up LAC the first time, so he decided to flip again. Kept going. The seventh one came up WAS, so he signed with WAS. [​IMG]</div>
    I heard he did the best out of 7 and L.A. won so he went with Washington beacuse teh odds were against them, like they have been against him his whole career

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">He shouldn't have been fighting with Kwame in the first place! That's the point! Mature people don't do that. And the fact that he couldn't admit he was taking too many shots for the good of the team, and that instead he sulked and decided to possibly cost them the game (they barely won) is just too much. And who cares what he did the next night? He had no right to do that. I woulda sat his ass for the next week, if I was Eddie. That's NOT how you play team basketball.</div>
    Players always fight..Does Kobe and Shaq ring a bell? Should they have been benched for a week? When Kobe went that one game without shooting..would you of benched his ass for a week? All players fight, you wont always get a long because the NBA is a heated game and everyone wants to perform.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I think Jamison is more of a leader than Arenas - but I didn't say he should lead the team. Ideally, that's Eddie's job. But Jamison cannot carry a team - you need to build it around him. And I think Ernie knows that, and is doing it. At the same time, I agree that Arenas is a vocal leader - the question is, do you want him to lead, pulling crazy s*** like the stuff he did earlier this year?</div>
    Fair Arguement..I cant argue with that, Jamison does have the experience..but yes I would like Arenas leading my team, not because I am arguing for him, but because I love the passion he plays with he wants to be the best, he wants his team to be the best..not many players are like that anymore.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I read what you said - but I still have the image of little baby Kwame of the last 3 years in my head. The one with lungs too small for him, because he grew too fast. The one who cried from being yelled at by Doug Collins. The one who played really well for a three quarters (something like 17-9) then took himself out because he was tired this year. Kwame is 20 years old. Arenas is 22. Neither of them are nearly old enough nor mature enough to even think about leading a team. Jamison is 28 and has been on a winning team - seen what works. You can't underestimate the value of that. He's tasted winning and has the hunger to get right back there.</div>

That is a fair arguement because a lot of people have that image of Kwame still..but in that game I believe he played 2 quarters straight..and it is no secret that Kwame used to have poor conditioning habits like you said he is only 20...I think in time we will see everything in his game improve..intime being this year..

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Peeler played a fair amount alongside Christie last season - it's entirely plausible that he could play the SF. Besides which, the numbers say SFs shot barely over 40% with him at SF - he plays some pretty good D. I like Hughes, and think he could start - like I said, I just don't like the Arenas/Hughes backcourt. Two shooting guards just doesn't work in my mind.</div>
    I see where you are coming from..2 sgs will not work but like I said Arenas has said he dedicated himself to the Point..if that is true I think it could work