Arenas Could Bolt In 2008

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by NJNetz, Jun 26, 2006.

1. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Gilbert Arenas hopes to play for a championship team and if the Wizards do not assemble one that is championship-calibre by 2008, Arenas may leave the team via free agency.

Arenas's agent Dan Fagan stated that he has faith in Ernie Grunfeld to build the team up to where it needs to be, but that Arenas's top priority is to win a championship.

"I won't be happy just making it to the playoffs every year and that's it. I want to compete for a championship in my young years," said Arenas.</div>

Source

2. VinsanityVC15

VinsanityVC15 JBB JustBBall Member

i think he'll stay and than if they dont win after a couple years he will be like KG.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Arenas has the heart of a champion, I fully believe that if Washington can't assemble a team that can contend, he will leave. Knowing Arenas, he'd settle for the MLE to play for a championship team. Come to L.A. in '08 Arenas!

I don't think that will happen though, Washington is on the ups. Caron and Arenas, with the draft coming up, and Andray Blatche for the future. This team has a really bright future, I don't see it being wrecked, at all.

4. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Don't count on it happening. Arenas to me just doesn't seem like a guy that would just bolt town. He's done so much for the Wizards and the Wizards have built the team around him. Plus I think that the Wizards will show some signs of winning by then and get an extension done with Gilbert.

5. Mamba

I fully believe in a year or two, this team can be contenders. They're one piece away, and I think we can acquire that piece by trading Jamison and clearing some cap space.

Although, if the team is still in the position it is now, in 2008, I wouldn't be surprsied to see Gilbert leave for an L.A. team, the Clippers or the Lakers. He's from L.A., it's his home.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Arenas will go to the team that pays him the most, theres no reason to believe he'll be loyal to the Wizards since he alread bolted on the Warriors who took a chance on him in the second round. I think he'll sign another enourmous deal and then after that he'll go to a contending team for the veterans minimum a la Gary Payton.

7. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Arenas will go to the team that pays him the most, theres no reason to believe he'll be loyal to the Wizards since he alread bolted on the Warriors who took a chance on him in the second round. I think he'll sign another enourmous deal and then after that he'll go to a contending team for the veterans minimum a la Gary Payton.</div>

Bolted on the Warriors? Re-signing him would've put you guys in cap room hell, you didn't have the money, he didn't bolt. You didn't take a chance on him, either. If you didn't draft him, someone else would've and he would've produced the same results...because of his work ethic. Don't sit there and compare Arenas to Payton, there is nothing to compare there. Arenas would play for free, if it guaranteed him a championship. Hard work got him drafted, hard work got him to superstar status, and hard work will get him a championship.

8. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

First, Arenas didn't have Bird right, that's why Warriors weren't able to sign him.

Let's not go silly that Arenas will play for free to win the championship at this point. Arenas is still young, and he will play for those who will pay the most. I mean, how many 26 years old players say he will get less for a championship ring? Arenas left Warriors to Wiz, because Wiz were able to pay him to most, and Wiz still can pay him the most. So, unless there is some significant problem between Wiz and Arenas, I expect him to stay...

9. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">First, Arenas didn't have Bird right, that's why Warriors weren't able to sign him.

Let's not go silly that Arenas will play for free to win the championship at this point. Arenas is still young, and he will play for those who will pay the most. I mean, how many 26 years old players say he will get less for a championship ring? Arenas left Warriors to Wiz, because Wiz were able to pay him to most, and Wiz still can pay him the most. So, unless there is some significant problem between Wiz and Arenas, I expect him to stay...</div>

The Warriors wouldn't of resigned him anyways, if they didn't want to go into cap hell.

Also, I believe the Clippers could've offered the most money. For Arenas, it came down to the Clippers or Wizards, so he flipped a coin 7 times. The Clippers won 6-1 or something like that, so he chose the Wizards. He flipped it, because he's always been the underdog. Arenas isn't about money, he's about winning. It wouldn't totally surprise me to see him settle for the MLE in '08 on a championship team, if the Wizards aren't doing any better than 2nd round defeats.

10. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheBlackMamba:</div><div class="quote_post">The Warriors wouldn't of resigned him anyways, if they didn't want to go into cap hell.

Also, I believe the Clippers could've offered the most money. For Arenas, it came down to the Clippers or Wizards, so he flipped a coin 7 times. The Clippers won 6-1 or something like that, so he chose the Wizards. He flipped it, because he's always been the underdog. Arenas isn't about money, he's about winning. It wouldn't totally surprise me to see him settle for the MLE in '08 on a championship team, if the Wizards aren't doing any better than 2nd round defeats.</div>
    If hes about winning why did he leave one of the worst teams in the league to go to one of two other terrible teams? Neither one of those teams were winners when he signed, they had the best offer for him so he took it. The Warriors would have signed him if it were at all possible but we couldn't match offers with the Wizards and Arenas dind't agree to take a one year deal with us so we could re-sign him the next year. He doesnt give a sh*t about loyalty, all he wants is money, winning is a bonus.

11. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">If hes about winning why did he leave one of the worst teams in the league to go to one of two other terrible teams? Neither one of those teams were winners when he signed, they had the best offer for him so he took it. The Warriors would have signed him if it were at all possible but we couldn't match offers with the Wizards and Arenas dind't agree to take a one year deal with us so we could re-sign him the next year. He doesnt give a sh*t about loyalty, all he wants is money, winning is a bonus.</div>

The Warriors couldn't sign him. Why would he sign a 1 year deal when there was the multi year deal he was looking for. He didn't want a 1 year deal. He wanted security, and that's what he got signing with Washington. The Warriors were in a salary cap hell, they weren't going to sign him.

Doesn't give a "sh*t" about loyalty? What makes you say that? Because he left Golden State. I guess Shaquille O'neal doesn't give a "sh*t" about loyalty, I guess all the players who sign with other teams don't give a "sh*t" about loyalty, either. Why did Arenas have to be loyal to Golden State? Because they drafted him? He would've been drafted either way, he can sign with whoever he wants, it doesn't do anything to his loyalty. You sound like a hurt GS fan.

Winning is just a bonus? Are you crazy? Arenas wants to win, that's his main goal. Why do you think he's the first one in the gym, the last one to leave. Why do you think he locked himself in the Wizards training facility for something like 32 hours with some basketballs, water, gatorade, and a fridge full of chinese food. Do you think he ate the food and didn't play at all? Why did he request keys to the Verizon center when he first got to Washington? Why do you think he always goes to work on his game at the middle of the night? Why do you think after being ousted by Miami two years ago, Arenas was practicing all night after the final game? I don't think it's because winning is a bonus to him. The kid is a gym rat, winning is his number one priority. Jus because your team couldn't win then, can't win now, and doubt they'll win next year doesn't mean you bash Arenas. That's why he left GS, because there was no sign of you guys winning anytime soon.

12. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheBlackMamba:</div><div class="quote_post">The Warriors couldn't sign him. Why would he sign a 1 year deal when there was the multi year deal he was looking for. He didn't want a 1 year deal. He wanted security, and that's what he got signing with Washington. The Warriors were in a salary cap hell, they weren't going to sign him.</div>
    Well he's alledgedly this extremely loyal guy and hes always talking about how he wants to make the teams that passed on him in the draft pay. I understand that he'd want the long term deal but hes made out to be one of the most loyal and non-materialistic guys in the league and then he goes and signs with another horrible team who offered him more money. I'd do the same thing he did but I know that doing that would mean that I care more about money than winning or being loyal to the team who took me when no one else would.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Doesn't give a "sh*t" about loyalty? What makes you say that? Because he left Golden State. I guess Shaquille O'neal doesn't give a "sh*t" about loyalty, I guess all the players who sign with other teams don't give a "sh*t" about loyalty, either. Why did Arenas have to be loyal to Golden State? Because they drafted him? He would've been drafted either way, he can sign with whoever he wants, it doesn't do anything to his loyalty. You sound like a hurt GS fan.</div>
    Obviously players who don't sign with their teams don't care about loyalty which is why they go to another team. But those players aren't pimped as guys who are selfless like Arenas is. Its perfectly fine that Arenas went to another team for more money and more long term security but its total bull that he only wants to win and doesnt care about the money.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Winning is just a bonus? Are you crazy? Arenas wants to win, that's his main goal. Why do you think he's the first one in the gym, the last one to leave. Why do you think he locked himself in the Wizards training facility for something like 32 hours with some basketballs, water, gatorade, and a fridge full of chinese food. Do you think he ate the food and didn't play at all? Why did he request keys to the Verizon center when he first got to Washington? Why do you think he always goes to work on his game at the middle of the night? Why do you think after being ousted by Miami two years ago, Arenas was practicing all night after the final game? I don't think it's because winning is a bonus to him. The kid is a gym rat, winning is his number one priority. Jus because your team couldn't win then, can't win now, and doubt they'll win next year doesn't mean you bash Arenas. That's why he left GS, because there was no sign of you guys winning anytime soon.</div>
    If winning is his number one priority why didn't he go to a good team when he was a FA? He doesnt care about the moeny right? Why not go to San Antonio for the MLE or the Lakers or any of the other contenders at the time, since money isn't relevant. He knew when he signed with Washington he was going to a bad team and it didn't effect his decision at all.

13. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheBlackMamba:</div><div class="quote_post">The Warriors wouldn't of resigned him anyways, if they didn't want to go into cap hell.

Also, I believe the Clippers could've offered the most money. For Arenas, it came down to the Clippers or Wizards, so he flipped a coin 7 times. The Clippers won 6-1 or something like that, so he chose the Wizards. He flipped it, because he's always been the underdog. Arenas isn't about money, he's about winning. It wouldn't totally surprise me to see him settle for the MLE in '08 on a championship team, if the Wizards aren't doing any better than 2nd round defeats.</div>

Not necessary. Warriors were about couple mils under the cap at that point, and our current caproom situation is far worse than two years ago. So, if Warriors had a bird right, they would have signed Arenas.

Wiz was able to offer roughly 10.3 mils, and Clippers were able to offer 10.1 mils. It's actually funny what Arenas thought, because he repeatly said he wanted to remain close to his home. But, when FA hit, he chose to go Washington, probably as far as he can go from his home. I don't think .2 mils was a breaking point, but I have no idea what made him to choose Wiz.

Arenas wanted to stay with Warriors. He wants to stay so much, he even suggested under the table deal, which he will sign one year deal, then sign max next year. When Warriors owner rejected the under the table deal, he decided to bolt.

Of course, everybody wants to win. But, let's not confused with one working very hard to improve his game and trying to taste win at any cost including his well being. If somebody is that desperate to win, so that he/she is willing to give up their long term financial security such as taking MLE instead of 90 mils/6 years contract at 26 years old, I don't think that person is mentally healthy. While Arenas has his wild side, I seriously doubt that he is that simple minded to go with wins at any cost. Besides, like Run BJM said, if he is that addicted with wins, he wouldn't come to Wiz at the first place.

14. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">If winning is his number one priority why didn't he go to a good team when he was a FA? He doesnt care about the moeny right? Why not go to San Antonio for the MLE or the Lakers or any of the other contenders at the time, since money isn't relevant. He knew when he signed with Washington he was going to a bad team and it didn't effect his decision at all.</div>

Ok, the money was involved, but he knew Washington was turning themselves around. They had Stackhouse (not a big fan of him, never was) and a new GM, Ernie Grunfeld. I believe it was Grunfeld who turned the Bucks around. He's a good GM. He pulled off Arenas. I do believe Arenas partly went with Washington for the money, but I think mainly because they were turning their franchise around and he knew he could be the face of that franchise.