Arenas Deserves It

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mamba, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I really believe Gilbert Arenas deserves an allstar position this year. Look at his numbers...23.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.9 apg, 1.6 steals. He has won numerous games for the Wizards this year, argueably the most clutch player this year. He can get to the line at will.

If Arenas does not make it this year by coach's selection, he will be the biggest snub.

Agree?

EDIT: Lets throw out some more stats

Ranks #9 in the NBA in Points Per Game(23.4)
    Ranks #8 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(1.68)
    Ranks #12 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game(39.4)
    Ranks #17 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts(647.0)
    Ranks #7 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Made(89.0)
    Ranks #6 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goal Attempts(245.0)
    Ranks #12 in the NBA in Free Throws(224.0)
    Ranks #14 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts(275.0)
    Ranks #13 in the NBA in Steals(62.0)
    Ranks #12 in the NBA in Points(867.0)
    Ranks #15 in the NBA in Free Throws Per 48 Minutes(7.37)
    Ranks #18 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts Per 48 Minutes(9.05)
    Ranks #17 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(2.93) Ranks #11 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes(28.5)

2. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

No doubt in my mind right now that he's an all-star. It would've been interested to see if all 3 Wizards would of made the all-star team. With the starters taken up 5 spots, these are my 7 reserves for the East at the ASG:

- Gilbert Arenas- Dwyane Wade
    - Jermaine O'Neal
    - Paul Pierce
    - Steve Francis
    - Emeka Okafor (Yes over Ben Wallace)

I could see Hughes, Pierce and RJ battling for the last 2 spots, but RJ is out and so is Hughes, which gives Pierce a spot. I see Jamison in the race for a spot as well as Z, Ben Wallace, Redd and Rip.

I probably left someout, but hopefully some posters could remind me.

3. Mamba

I really believe Antawn should be left off. He is really disappointing me. I credit most of our wins to the maturity growth among our players..not Jamison.

I also believe Hughes could make it..leading the league in steals and is our best all around player, he and Arenas deserve it IMO.

4. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

I agree also that he deserves an allstar spot. His stats say it and his clutch shots say it, but he dosen't help his teammates play on his level. I think that is a huge role of a point guard, helping others play better for example Steve Nash. He only took 445 shots so far this season while his teammates like Q-rich who took 613 shots, Joe Johnson who took 587, Marion who took 659 and Stoudamire who took 698 shots. Steve Nash is also able to manage a fair 15.7 points, so that's why I think Gilbert dosen't deserve an allstar position, because he dosen't help his teammates play up to his level.

5. Mamba

Gilbert's role is much different than Nash's.

Nash is the facilitator on offense, for the Wizard's, it is normally Hughes. Arenas plays pg on the defensive end, but on the offensive end plays more like a sg.

Now, with Hughes out, Arenas has been playing like a pg, and a good one.

6. hpman247

hpman247 JBB JustBBall Member

Yes Arenas deserves it without a doubt. AJ doesnt tho. Tonight he just could not grab a rebound and a rebound off missed free throw shots mind you.

Arenas' position with the Wiz is definitely different than Nash. Nash actually has some better players: Marion, Amare, and Richardson to pass to. The Wiz dont really have this "big" presence IMO. Arenas is definitely an all star.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Wizards do deserve at least one all-star considering the season they are having but It will be tough for Arenas to make It purely due to the quailty guards there is in the eastern conference. 23, 4 and 5 are very good numbers but players like Lebron, Wade, Francis, Iverson will get considered before GA does.

If Larry Hughes hadn't of got hurt I would of said he was the most deserving player from the Wizards but with him out 4-6 weeks that basically means he is out of the race in my opinion. If Any Wizard is going to make It, It will be Antawn Jamison. Purely because he is a forward and the quailty of forwards in the east is alot less than the guards. He also averages 20 and 8, pretty good numbers for an east big man.

Either way It will be a damn shame If Washington don't get at least 1 all-star in Denver, they are having a great season and their best start since 1978.

8. PHENOMENON

PHENOMENON JBB JustBBall Member

Arenas should play in the AllStar game, but he probably won't. Antawn won't make it there either, I mean come he's just way to streaky. I would've loved to see Larry Hughes go to the AllStar, he deserves some shine.

9. mullin17

mullin17 JBB JustBBall Member

Antwan's going to make it because Jermaine O'Neal will be left off.

10. og15

og15 JBB *********

Jamison will make it because he's a forward. The starters will be:

G - Lebron
    G - Iverson
    F - Vince
    F - Hill
    C -Shaq

G - Wade
    G - Francis [Arenas should get it over him, but I dont think it'll happen]
    F - Jamison
    F - J O'neal
    C - Ben

F/C - Zydrunas Ilguaskas | Paul Pierce | Emeka
    G - Arenas | Kidd | Marbury

11. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mullin17:</div><div class="quote_post">Antwan's going to make it because Jermaine O'Neal will be left off.</div>

They will both probably make it...how do you figure JO would be left off?

12. FFSBasketball

FFSBasketball JBB JustBBall Member

I don't get why everyone's bashing Antawn - obviously the maturity of our players has helped a lot, but Antawn has been HUGE holding down the fort at PF this year. Jeffries is not nearly big enough to be playing PF, so when you have both Antawn and Jeffries in the game, Jamison has had to rebound a lot more than usual. He's not a PF, but he's had to bang inside on the boards like one this entire year, almost. And it's wearing on him. Kwame's injuries certainly aren't helping.

If we can get Kwame back, and Etan fully healthy too, so we've got a much deeper frontcourt, I think that will take a lot more pressure off of Antawn and he'll be able to play a lot fresher. Imagine that.

13. purpleb0n9

purpleb0n9 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">I really believe Antawn should be left off. He is really disappointing me. I credit most of our wins to the maturity growth among our players..not Jamison.

I also believe Hughes could make it..leading the league in steals and is our best all around player, he and Arenas deserve it IMO.</div>

Wow, really? I didn't really follow the Wizards' season, but I thought Jamison is doing pretty well there. He made a game winning jumper against the Pacers right? He must be doing sth right. But I think Arenas is the most deserving Wizard to be in the event.

14. Mamba

Well, I over-exaggerated. Jamison is just taking too many outside jumpers and is not clutch..at all. That game against the Pacers, that was his first clutch moment of the season that I can recall. Antawn will probably make it because of the lack of good forwards in the east, but Arenas deserves it more than him.

15. og15

og15 JBB *********

From RealGM

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Bill Walton posted his all star list over on ESPN Insider today, guess who his starting PG is in the East? Arenas!

Here's the full list:

Starters:
    Arenas
    Wade
    James
    Grant Hill
    Shaq

Backups: Iverson, Francis, Jermaine O'Neal, Richard Hamilton, Pierce, Antawn Jamison, Ben Wallace

Here's his little clip about Arenas

<<Wizards: It sure would be nice if scouts actually watched basketball games. Arenas thrives in the NBA game with his great open-court creativity, durability, exquisite skills and insatiable hunger to torch any and everybody. You don't want to get into an endurance contest with this guy. >>
    </div>

16. Mamba

Bill Walton..no way? Bill Walton with some sense? Unbelievable...For once I agree with him

17. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Jamison will definitely make it, and I think Arenas will make it for sure. Coaches tend to pick All-Star players from winning club, and as far as I remember, in Western conference, hardly any players (if any) in non-PO contending teams made to All-Star for last few years. Since, Wiz is 2nd best team in the East, somebody will represent Wiz, and I don't see why both will be left off...