Celtics to Pursue Etan (Wizards)

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by og15, Jun 16, 2004.

1. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Boston Celtics will pursue Washington Wizards restricted free agent center Etan Thomas when the free agency period begins July 1, according to a league official who asked not to be identified.

Thomas is the Celtics' top free agent target and, according to the source, they are willing to offer him a salary starting at $5.1 million, the league-allotted mid-level exception.

Washington has the right to match any offer for Thomas since he is a restricted free agent, however, it might not be willing to pay the 6-foot-9 inside presence as much as the mid-level exception, based on conversations with team and league officials earlier this season. </div>

Washington Post

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I like Thomas, but is he worth the MLE? $5.1 million can get teams a starter-quality guard, but in a conference where quality big men are rare, players like Thomas start to get blown up into better talents. I'd rather see Ainge go after another center/forward who can provide more bang for the bucks.

3. Philjacksonsux

Philjacksonsux JBB JustBBall Member

I heard rumors of trading Walter to Charlotte thus his being protected. If I am not mistaken,Thomas is on the Wizards list of players. If this is the case,maybe we get him in a trade. With Raef, a guy like Etan can play off him well. I am not opposed to a move like that.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

Trade, we don't want Lafrentz on the Wizards, no thanks, if you guys want him we aren't going to cry if you're paying him 5.1 million, but we won't sign and trade for Raef.

5. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Trade, we don't want Lafrentz on the Wizards, no thanks, if you guys want him we aren't going to cry if you're paying him 5.1 million, but we won't sign and trade for Raef.</div>

He never said anything about trading Raef, he said Etan would work well with Raef

6. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BC:</div><div class="quote_post">He never said anything about trading Raef, he said Etan would work well with Raef</div>

Oops, that was my fault I read this together without the period: <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If this is the case,maybe we get him in a trade. With Raef</div>

Yes he would be good with Raef, Etan is a guy that will bang down low, and Raef is a perimeter player who can block shots and can bang on ocassion, but he's definately not a banger.

7. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

Again, my response to this rumor is WHY?

Wyc claims he wants a "banger", a "rebounder". If we're looking for someone who's mostly singularly faceted(or expected to mostly be) then why the hell leave Hunter unprotected?

8. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">Again, my response to this rumor is WHY?

Wyc claims he wants a "banger", a "rebounder". If we're looking for someone who's mostly singularly faceted(or expected to mostly be) then why the hell leave Hunter unprotected?</div>

That's what I was thinking, Hunter is a younger and cheaper "banger", "rebounder."

9. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting BC:</div><div class="quote_post">That's what i8 was thinking, Hunter is a younger and cheaper "banger", "rebounder."</div>
    Yeah, Hunter makes up for his height with hard work and good low post scoring. He is a good choice for 10-25 minutes each game and I'd personally take him over Thomas. Unless McCarty can actually be part of a good trade, leaving Hunter unprotected would be another of Ainge's blunders.

10. CelticsFan3519

CelticsFan3519 JBB JustBBall Member

Well Hunter is unprotected right now and will most likely not be back with the Celtics. Getting Etan Thomas for McCarthy would be a great move. Thomas and Raef would indeed work very well together as they could provide a cushion for each other and help with boards, something that McCarthy couldn't help Raef with. This move would help too especially with the fact that Mark Blount is probably gone and there goes another post prescence. Why McCarthy was kept over Hunter I don't know, but getting Etan Thomas for Walter would take some of that sting away.

11. Trip

Student
    However, would he be worth $5.1 million? That's a big sum of money and kills the Celtics' hopes of getting another quality FA. I'd say sleep on this guy.

12. 44in05

44in05 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">I like Thomas, but is he worth the MLE? $5.1 million can get teams a starter-quality guard, but in a conference where quality big men are rare, players like Thomas start to get blown up into better talents. I'd rather see Ainge go after another center/forward who can provide more bang for the bucks.</div>

Good thought, lets finish the post now...who?

13. 44in05

44in05 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">Again, my response to this rumor is WHY?

Wyc claims he wants a "banger", a "rebounder". If we're looking for someone who's mostly singularly faceted(or expected to mostly be) then why the hell leave Hunter unprotected?</div>

Undersized, gets his shot blocked too much and there is always the problem of signing him next year (no bird rights) Besides all that, he probably will not be taken by the Cats, IMO, they are a lot more likely to take Chucky, even though he is a back up, there isnt much better available immediately

14. Captain Quicks

Captain Quicks JBB JustBBall Member

If Brandon Hunter is back next year I see no reason that the Celtics should blow too much money on Etan Thomas but if he is gone to the 'Cats then they should get Etan, he's a great rebounder and a good post player and I think he would go well with Raef.

15. GWVan

GWVan JBB JustBBall Member

I've been lusting after Etan for a while, he is the inside banger we need, he just ate us up every time we played against him last year. Not sure he's worth the full MLE but I'll tell you this Etan>Blount

16. hagrid

<font color="DarkGreen">First: <u>Greetings GW!</u> Welcome to the boards.</font> [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Not sure he's worth the full MLE but I'll tell you this Etan>Blount</div>

I'd have to second that. I don't think Etan's worth the Full MLE, but he's certainly better than Blount, IMO. Alot of people think Blounts going to break out or something, but I watched almost all the games last year and just don't see it. The man can only feed off the good play of others. He doesn't create his own offense and has a major case of stone hands.

On Hunter:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Undersized, gets his shot blocked too much and there is always the problem of signing him next year </div>

Charles Barkely was "undersized" too. At this point, I can't think of a single player that reminds me more of how Barkely played than Hunter does.

I also would have to offer debate on the "gets his shot blocked too much" part. First: everyone who spends time in the post, gets thier shot blocked. Second: IMO, Hunter didn't become the tenative guy who got shots blocked until he suddenly got relegated back to the bench and his time decreased dramatically. Perhaps it was more shaken confidence than anything?

Can you explain the signing part though? [​IMG] If he's not much of a player (at least seemingly by the intangibles you used to describe him), then why would it be difficult to resign him?

17. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">

On Hunter:

Charles Barkely was "undersized" too. At this point, I can't think of a single player that reminds me more of how Barkely played than Hunter does.

I also would have to offer debate on the "gets his shot blocked too much" part. First: everyone who spends time in the post, gets thier shot blocked. Second: IMO, Hunter didn't become the tenative guy who got shots blocked until he suddenly got relegated back to the bench and his time decreased dramatically. Perhaps it was more shaken confidence than anything?

Can you explain the signing part though? [​IMG] If he's not much of a player (at least seemingly by the intangibles you used to describe him), then why would it be difficult to resign him?</div>

I agree with this, though I think Hunter is plays similar to Carlos Boozer more than he does Barkley. I don't think Hunter will be tough to sign at all. A lot of times when I talk to people about the Celtics they don't even know who Brandon Hunter is. I noticed him being more tentative when Carroll suddenly stopped playing him too.

18. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Celts will be screwed as long as Ainge is in town.</div>

You can't simply say that without backing it up. Tell us Why?

19. Birdman33

Birdman33 JBB JustBBall Member

Really, it should be obvious to anyone that Ainge is a terrible GM. When Raef LaFrentz and Jiri Welsch (who I do like) for Antoine Walker is the BEST you can do, you're in trouble.

I know Walker is easy to dislike (shoots too much, too many turnovers, soft, no lift, etc.) but LaFrentz is a joke and will be for the rest of his career.

Tony Battie and Eric Williams for Ricky Davis? C'mon, that's moronic. Allowing Jim O'Brien to leave? Again, terrible managing.

Drafting Al Jefferson looks to be a good move, I think he could be a player, but we're going to have to wait and see. With what he's done so far I'm not holding my breath that Ainge really knows what he's doing.

Marcus Banks, Kendrick Perkins and Brandon Hunter??? Nope.

We'll see, but like I said, I'm not holding my breath. The only GM's in the league that make Ainge look competent are Isiah Thomas, Elgin Baylor and (before his ouster, Michael Jordan).

20. Birdman33

Birdman33 JBB JustBBall Member

Oh, almost forgot. Taking Chucky Atkins and his ridiculous contract to allow Detroit to get 'Sheed was beyond dumb. And then waiving Lindsey Hunter?? Really, Ainge is retarded.

And if I have to listen to on more person say the Celts acquired "cap room" because of the LaFrentz deal, I'll vomit.

Nobody can seem to explain to me how locking into a ridiculous deal that no one else in the NBA would take (7 years, $70 million for Raef freaking LaFrentz) frees up anything when you could have just let Walker walk after this season.

Tony Allen and Delonte West as the second-rated two guard and point on their board? Sure, Danny. That's spin worthy of Bush-Cheney.