OT Charles Oakley arrested during Knicks game

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by speeds, Feb 8, 2017.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

What I gather is Oakley told the guard not to touch him and the guard didn't listen...escalated from there. As for verbal abuse....it's New York City...that place loves verbal abuse at a Knicks game...Dolan acted like a mob boss

oldfisherman and Dougnsalem like this.
  2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

What the fuck?

Am I the only one in this thread with an OUNCE of common sense and reason?

It's Security's JOB to remove the subject from the building when requested by ownership (Dolan). That is by any means necessary.

He obviously WASN'T going to leave, since he was already asked numerous times. What the fuck are they supposed to do? Just stand there and stare at him?

I swear to God....it's like some people just give a pass to others based on popularity, and then categorize everything else into a box of emotion based on what they FEEL is right or wrong. Instead of what the laws and procedures actually ARE.

THIS is why security and police never win. Even when they're right....they're somehow wrong.

I'm telling you right now: if Dame ever acts like this in the Rose Garden 25 years from now, I'll be embarrassed and ashamed; regardless of what the Blazers record is. And I sure as fuck won't be giving him a pass for ANYTHING.

This fucking clown yelled at people, brought race into the equation, poked a guy in the face, and then pushed several people..........and it's Security's fault?

Get the fuck outta here.

3. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

James Dolan does not own the Knicks or Madison Square Garden Company, he is the executive chairman.

Dolan probably does own some shares in this large publicly traded company. However, after doing a search of the major stockholders, I could not find his name on the list of owners with 1% or more.

In short, Dolan manages the company and the MSG, Knicks, Rangers, Radio City Music Hall, & Rockettes, but owns very little of them.

The largest stockholder is Lazard Asset Management LLC with 9.66% of the shares.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    riverman and Dougnsalem like this.
  4. Jade Falcon

Executive Chairman pretty much means it's his. When he's in the building, HE calls the shots. Not his shareholders. There's nobody higher in the company than him.

This is a mute point: private property is private property. Period. And MSG is private property. And Dolan, as the most Senior Executive in MSG, calls the shots on what happens with MSG on an event-by-event basis. This isn't a sit-down with the board of directors.

It's private property, and he calls the shots. Period. Trying to nitpick technicalities is pointless.

5. Jade Falcon

AND he's the Founder of the company.

Sure sounds like his to me.

Source: http://www.themadisonsquaregardencompany.com/our-company/leadership/james-l-dolan.html

6. oldfisherman

7. Jade Falcon

You didn't read the link from MSG Company that I posted....did you?

http://www.themadisonsquaregardencompany.com/our-company/leadership/james-l-dolan.html
    Quote...

Seems pretty clear cut to me. He runs the joint. He runs the team. He signs the pay checks.

"Shareholders" are not the same as being on the Board of Directors; of which he is also the most Senior member of. The Board of Directors call the shots; not the shareholders. The shareholders just own stock; they don't actually operate or run the company.

Think of it like a timeshare: yes, you have a contract that you can use your timeshare when you want....but you don't own the resort, or even your suite. And the resort/company that owns the resort can cancel your contract at any time they want.

DOLAN is the boss. Like him or not. He's. The. Boss.

The only way he's NOT the boss, is if the Board of Directors casts a vote and ousts him. But that's a complicated process, and he would most likely still retain primary shareholder assets
    ("Stock").

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  8. oldfisherman

Show me where Dolan owns any shares of Madison Square Garden Co stock. I will try to help you.

There are about $45 million MSGco in shares held by "insiders" (Which is probably Dolan and other family members, maybe). And about $4.6+ billion in publicly traded stocks, of which Dolan is not listed. At most, Dolan owns less than 1%.

Also, the large shareholder funds and institutions do have a say on the Board of directors.

9. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    From what I've read, his father founded the company. Dolan was basically just given the Knicks and some other properties to run--he had no hand in creating any of the value.

riverman likes this.
  10. Jade Falcon

You're STILL not getting this. For God's sake, READ THIS:

Actually fucking READ that. Read it. You CANNOT possibly argue what is right there in plain English.

He is responsible for oversight of all of it's operations ("He is in charge of ALL event and company operations"), he serves as Governor to the NBA on behalf of the Knicks ("he represents the New York Knicks on behalf of the NBA"), and in his position as EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN ("Top Dog") of MSG Company, MSG Company OWNS AND OPERATES THE NEW YORK KNICKS.

Nowhere in there does it say ANYTHING about shareholders. And it's from their own goddamn company website!

And assuming that what you're saying is true, I will bet you $20 dollars that Dolan owns the majority of the stock, out of his own pocket through either his personal wealth or other owned companies ("shareholders") in MSG. Almost ALL Executive Officers, and especially Founders of companies, do this to consolidate power and control in the company when it goes Public.

Facebook is a public company with shareholders....but Mark Zuckerberg still owns the majority of the stock in the company.

Just stop this nonsense. For fuck's sake...do you believe the sky is blue or not?

I absolutely cannot break this down any more simply than that. At all. He's the head-haunch-o. What he says, goes. PERIOD. Especially when it comes to booting some irate idiot from MSG Arena.

Those security guards everyone keeps blaming? He signs their boss' boss' boss' paychecks.

And in fact...apparently, he fires them too!

Just stop this nonsense. You're trying to nitpick technicalities here because everyone hates Dolan. Stop this bullshit already. HE'S THE BOSS.

Fine. Whatever. HE'S STILL THE BOSS.

11. oldfisherman

I have read it, several times. And it says what I said in my posts. He manages those companies.

You are trying to create an argument that never existed. I never said that he was not the boss, and did nun run things. You put those words in my mouth. Now stop it, and read what I posted above.

riverman and MickZagger like this.
  12. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

How's the weather been looking for you guys? Kinda chilly here. 33 degrees. I think it's gonna rain.

:cheers:

riverman likes this.
  13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

14. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Just because Dolan is an asshole doesn't mean Oakley isn't one.

Just sayin'.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  15. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

16. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

17. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

:biglaugh::bgrin:

18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

19. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Saying that InsideHoops website looks a decade old is probably generous.

20. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Oakley better be involved in that potential Harkless trade.

If he can't teach Meyers to man up then he will at least consume him in the process.