OT Coronavirus: America in chaos, News and Updates. One million Americans dead and counting

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 3, 2020.

1. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

If getting tested will reassure you, go ahead, although if all you have is sore throat probably not Coronavirus.

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

No fever or cough?

3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Every night when i go to bed, and every morning when I wake up.

I noticed that every time i had a small desk fan on during the night, I'd wake up feeling like shit. No temps though.

4. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

No cough no fever, feeling like a hypochondriac though. Thanks doctors.

kjironman1 and SlyPokerDog like this.
  5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Get tested.

Please.

Propagandist and lawai'a like this.
  6. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

a little bit of paranoia is probably a good thing as long as Covid is surging like it is

I'd recommend calling your doctor and asking about a test

7. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

but if everyone keeps getting tested we will never be free from the china virus

8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Some interesting points in the New York Times' emailed morning update today:

A virus update, in three charts
    Let’s check in on the state of the coronavirus this morning, with help from three charts. Here’s the first:

[​IMG]
    By The New York Times | Sources: The COVID Tracking Project, state and local health agencies and hospitals
    As you can see, the number of new virus cases in the U.S. is surging — and not far from this summer’s peak. You’re probably familiar with versions of that blue line. It is the most common metric for tracking the virus.

The rising line mostly reflects reality: The virus is surging, especially in the Upper Midwest. Cooler weather is leading to more indoor activity, which often leads to new cases, and many Americans seem tired of pandemic restrictions.

But you’ll notice that the red line on the chart — the number of Americans currently hospitalized with virus complications — looks less bad. It has risen lately, but it is not close to its peak.

Why? Partly because the number of virus cases is not actually rising as much as the official case numbers suggest.

That brings us to chart No. 2:

[​IMG]
    By The New York Times | Sources: The COVID Tracking Project
    The U.S. is conducting a lot more tests than in the summer or spring. More widespread testing means that the official numbers are capturing a larger share of new virus cases than earlier this year.

“We have probably gotten better at finding cases, as testing capacity has increased, and so we can’t directly compare the size of the waves based on case counts alone,” Caitlin Rivers of Johns Hopkins University told me. “That’s a good development.”

The third chart also suggests some encouraging news:

[​IMG]
    By The New York Times | Sources: state and local health agencies and hospitals
    Even as case numbers have soared and hospitalizations have risen, deaths have held fairly steady.

That’s happened as many older people — who are most vulnerable — have been careful about avoiding exposure. A greater share of current new cases is among young Americans.

The quality of virus treatments is also improving. Remdesivir, dexamethasone and monoclonal antibodies all seem to help, as my colleague Donald G. McNeil Jr. points out. Just consider how quickly both President Trump and Chris Christie recovered, despite their age and underlying health risks.

The full picture: There are some silver linings. The statistics on new virus cases that get so much attention are somewhat exaggerating the severity of the current outbreak, because of the rise in testing. And treatments have improved, reducing the death count.

But the virus’s toll has still been horrific — and worse than in many other countries. More than 220,000 Americans have died, and hundreds of people are still dying every day.

The overall situation is also getting worse, as the hospitalization numbers make clear. In some states, hospitals are almost full, and the virus continues to spread. “I’m just waiting to see if our community can change our behavior,” Debra Konitzer, the top health officer in Oconto County, Wis., recently said. “Otherwise, I don’t see the end in sight.”

As Donald McNeil says, “The fall wave has just begun.”

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    This.

10. SlyPokerDog

The decreasing death rate is a reflection of the amazing and difficult work by our medical and scientific professionals. For some to site these statistics and then ignore or dismiss other advice and information by these seem professionals is infuriating.

kjironman1 likes this.
  11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

We are nearing the point where we need another shutdown. In so many states, there are more cases now per day than there ever were this spring.

Even if it's not a full shutdown, we need serious public health measures to scale back congregation.

I had a colleague I was working with test positive, with somewhat severe symptoms and that put me into quarantine for the next two weeks. Luckily I tested negative probably as I wear full PPE while working closely with others, but it was still a scare.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  12. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

get tested. Speaking from personal experience, the relief you feel after a negative test is unmatched.

A lot of pharmacies are offering free tests, like Rite Aid https://www.riteaid.com/pharmacy/services/covid-19-testing

Propagandist likes this.
  13. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Not quite following your comment. Are you saying that there’s something incorrect in the Times’ quote that I posted or was this just a general comment about dipsticks who ignore facts(dipstick-in-chief included)?

14. SlyPokerDog

Nothing wrong with your post or the Times. I've just seen multiple comments by people (not in this forum) showing that the decrease in death rate means we don't need to listen to experts about wearing masks and social distancing.

I don't get that argument at all.

I personally am listening to the people who have worked so hard to decrease the death rate and they're saying, WEAR FUCKING MASKS!

15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Total agreement on that point. The people who see this as some sort of assault on their individual rights are nuts. That should be patently obvious, but I've long ago given up on obvious things being seen as reasonable by everyone. Bottom line, wear masks or pay big-assed fines.

And one last point: Just exactly when did the Republican Party become the party of stupid? I was Republican all my life, primarily based on the notion that governments generally should do less and should pay for what they do. That concept was increasingly ignored by the Republicans. Trump's ascension left no principled way I could be associated with these yahoos. Now, the blatant disregard for all science is just freaking nuts.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  16. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I know I gripe about this too much, but this continual disdain for experts and science is KILLING ME! It seems like the most boring satire of all time. Everyone watching is like "Okay, I got it already. People are idiots." But it's our new reality! They really are idiots!

And isn't it just the equivalent of killing the messenger half the time?!?

Never used the word wackadoodle before but these folks are wackadoodles! (Is it a noun (folk are wackadoodles) or an adjective (those some wackadoodle folks)? I think it's both.)

And it permeates. Don't believe in wearing masks? Then you probably believe in QAnon and hate you some BLM and so forth.

Man oh man, I need a break from this...

GoBlazersGo and SlyPokerDog like this.
  17. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

@SlyPokerDog! What the shit happened to the Jesus meme?!?

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  18. SlyPokerDog

Wrong thread.

Propagandist likes this.
  19. SlyPokerDog

I believe it was during the 1980s when the republican party moved from being the party of Science and Industry to the party of Industry and Religion. Taking the religious base from the dems was a good move for them for decades but now they've lost all focus and direction.

Remember, the EPA and protecting our environment were republican ideas.

20. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member