Dame all but demanding vet roster

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Apr 13, 2023.

1. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

Totally depends on who they get back, but for those completely unwilling to include Sharpe for a needle mover- so essentially choosing him over Dame- how sure are you he’s going to be as loyal as Dame has been? We’ll rebuild with him, he’ll become a star, then leave. We have a piece teams actually want, how about we use it for once in Dames career and get him some help. If we have two stars, the mercenaries will come. I say go for it, if it’s the only option.

2. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

How did Boston get Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett?
    Is it possible for the Trail Blazers to acquire two star players?
    I don't mean probable, I mean is it possible.
    What if two star players say they want out and the only team they want to go to is Portland.

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Yep they got Ray for the 5th pick and KG for several vets and pics. Both in their 30’s it took two years to get both.

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Kevin McHale gifted Garnett to his old team. That's how.

"On July 31, 2007, Boston sent Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair and two 2009 first-round picks to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Kevin Garnett. "

Al Jeff was the best player on that team.

BBert, blazerfan11 and illmatic99 like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Look at what Phoenix just did too.

tykendo, riverman and blazerfan11 like this.
  6. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

The principal question is the one you bring up -- and is not getting the focus it should IMHO.
    Lillard said there are needle movers who want to play in Portland with him.
    Lillard has mentioned specific players he likes and would like to get one of them -- Bridges, OG, Vanderbilt -- a range of levels.
    Who are those needle-moving-players Lillard alludes to? Chatter about his friends in the league make for a line-up of the Usual Suspects.

BUT more importantly, how much would it help for one (or more) of these needle movers to go to their team and ask for a trade to the Blazers?
    It's a player's league. Agents have influence by the many clients they represent, now, and in future deals.
    I'm not talking about likelihood of it happening as much as how things have gotten done.
    Cronin will go all in with a perceived overpay for the right guy -- that's what he's said.

7. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

Separate Post from Above:

Anthony Davis playing more PF is better for the Lakers. And definitely not having to body up the bigger centers.
    Nurkic to the Lakers for Bamba and Vanderbilt.

Bamba has not been a starting center (outside of 1 year of 5), but I'm wondering how the Blazers will be able to trade Nurk for a center that fits what they need even if the guy is not "better."
    This gets two guys connected in the chatter to the Blazers and brings skills to a Lakers team that is not a run and gun team. Vanderbilt in his 4th year is getting minutes and starts for the last 3.

8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I think the main thing is precedent. It really had never been done before. They named them the big 3 and now everyone wants a big 3, so it’s trickier. It’s like when Dallas traded that fucktard from Georgia to the Viking and got a billion picks. Now picks and players are scored and everyone knows how much it costs to move to the 1, 2 pick

9. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

They traded for them a month apart.

10. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

That’s not going to make this team into contenders and I doubt that’s the type of trade Dame means.

11. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Dame specifically said that Shaedon is different from the 19 year olds who are 2-3 year away from contributing basically making me wonder what the fuck you're talking about? Dame seemed like he was completely on board with keeping Shae and building around Shae, Jerami and himself but not taking on a guy unlike Shaedon who is 19 and two to three years away. So just in my opinion Dame would probably be excited if we landed the first pick (Wemby) and then moved Ant, Nurk and up to four FRPs that can be available for an all star and along with our second rounder, TPMLE and TPE a better bench.

I think Dame is against taking on guys that are projects who will make little to no impact for a few seasons like Ant was and many high picks have shown themselves to be.

BBert likes this.
  12. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

here's what I'm guessing will happen: Cronin will try to make a big move using the lottery pick and the contracts of Simon and Nurkic. He might even try to leverage some future picks but I'm not sure Chicago will cooperate. I'm also pretty sure he won't be stupid enough to completely mortgage the future for a marginal move. And I think marginal moves are all that will be available

and, right now the value of draft picks has never been lower, so a marginal move might be a bad move any other year. Cronin will show Dame the kind of trades he can execute using that draft pick and they just won't be good enough to pull the trigger, so he'll leave it up to Dame to decide if he wants out or will remain.

or I'm colon gazing again

13. Hoopguru

Thanks, I stand corrected....

14. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I just can't get on board with your constant assertion (despite the fact that Joe said that he already has an agreement in place with the Bulls) that Chicago is going to hold up any attempts we might make to access our future draft picks. They would be looked at as both illogical because a guaranteed first is better both in use and as a trade chip than a conditional one and they'd be seen as acting in bad faith by every other front office in the league.

I've said this a bunch of times when you've suggested that they will play dirty like this but I guess I will say it again. Politics in the NBA among front offices is very real and no front office wants to look unreasonable and hard to deal with.

So for me and for Joe because he said it in a news conference just like a week ago... we have up to 5 FRPs that we will be able to deal if we need to.

15. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Joe seemed to indicate that he is in talks with Chicago about compensation. Maybe they send the 5 2nd rounders to Chicago from Golden State.

16. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

My opinion: Every player on the roster is available except Sharpe. EVERY ONE. Including Dame.

I would love to keep Dame and build around him. I would. But I'm a Blazer fan first, a Dame fan second. I appreciate everything he's done for the franchise, and will forever. And I would love the team to win a title with him.

Ant, Nurk, Grant, Little, Watford, Winslow.... EVERYONE is one the table, including this year's and future picks. But if it's clear that those alone will not get "needle movers" to come to Portland and play with Dame and Sharpe.... then Dame gotta go. Hopefully somewhere where he can win, like Clyde did. But Dame is not 100% untouchable when it comes to the future of the team.

If Cronin can gut the team and sell the future (within reason) to bring in a team that can compete for a title and keep Dame and Sharpe... I'm all in. Let's go. But if he can't....

17. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you're hung up on the least important point I argued

the most important point was I have a strong hunch that the draft picks side of a trade equation will have a lot more value than the value of the player coming back. It will always be unbalanced. Cronin simply won't be getting good enough offers to pull the trigger, especially not with Schmitz whispering in his ears about the value of prospects

for example:

Simons + Little + 5th pick + NY Pick (to Chicago) + 2025 first + 2026 swap + 2027 first

for Siakam

fuck that

Labinot41, TBpup, BIG Q and 1 other person like this.
  18. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

No, but I could see that still being a solid deal.
    I would love to see Vando as a forward next to Grant. The issue is a matter if Nurk > Bamba.
    It might be worth the gamble just for a change of pace there.

19. AngryFan

AngryFan Active Member

Vanderbilt on that contract is worth more than Nurkic.

20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!