Fire Van Gundy Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by drm2dnk, Nov 23, 2005.

1. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

No No No..........People are too quick to judge a injury plaged team too early. Last year the same people were ready to give up on our team, and when we turned it around everybody jumped back on the band wagon. When our best player comes back, we'll see how many of you so quickly have a "change of heart". This team has too many weapons to not get it together. By the end of the season we're going to be among the elite. It may sound crazy now, but you'll understand it later. Trust me

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting aznkillabeez:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree with your assessment on that the backup players arent good enough. But statistics wise it doesn't tell the whole story.. I'd rather the rox have mediocre stats and win, rather have good defensive stats and lose. Whats the point of having the best defensive stats and losing by 5-12 points in the end. A <u>lost</u> is a <u>lost</u> for all i care. But its too early on the season to be thinkin of an axe.. However anything less than the playoffs is unacceptable for the rox. Rox players have to stand up and be counted if they want to get their winning streak back on track.</div>
    I'm not saying that losing 69-70 is any better than losing 99-100, but the thing that this proves is that Van Gundy brings the best out of his players defensively. Even though we have lost so much offense in Alston and McGrady, our defense has been as good as when the two were playing. I think this stat shows a lot that Van Gundy isn't the reason the team is losing, it's the lack of offensive firepower.

3. drm2dnk

drm2dnk JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">Have you cared to look up the stats before making such a stupid assessment? The Rockets are fourth in the league in points allowed per game at 89, and are second in defensive field goal percentage at 42.2%. Just two games ago, we were first in both those categories. We are actually outreboudning opponents by a slight margin.</div>
    I disagree. Points allowed only proves game style, if you slow down the game, points allowed would be less. And with your field goal percentage stat, that would be irrelevant since houston are the worst offensive team in the nba. How does that construct a good basketball coach? Popovich is a good coach because of consistency in defense and structure. I don't see tim duncan chasing for the open 3 or not boxing out do i?
    I don't think i should compare rockets to spurs, i could compare to other teams who are much quicker and don't let teams score open all the time.

4. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Statistically speaking, we're actually a below average defensive team. As shown in the Rockets Advanced Stats thread, we're only 18th in the league in defense when you measure it as points given up per possession.

Opponents points per game is basically a useless stat, since we play at such a slow pace. We are pretty good at limiting the field goal percentage of our opponents, but that's basically it. We don't do a good job on the defensive boards (while last year we were the best at it) and we're near the bottom at forcing turnovers.

5. dingking

dingking JBB JustBBall Member

Do you agree my analysis?

What is the point of defence? It is to assure that the team scores more than its opponent. Unfortunately, JVG did make his opponents low socring, but his team scores even less which directly leads the 6 consecutive losses. That is ridiculous to show off JVG's defence and to consider this as a reason that JVG should stay in his position forever. In addition, he has no idea how to adjust his players' moods and psychological condition. He alway furrows his eyebrow and looks like a zombie. How can his men be relaxed when he is around. The most important reason to fire him, is his imcopetance to use Yao effectively. Many people blame Yao for his bad stamina, but his lack of stamina and incnsistency is because the misuse of JVG. Yao is always told to take Pick N' Roll stuff to cover those guards or whoever holds the ball. Yao also have to reach out to those little guards who penetrate into the paint. As 7-6-foot 300ibs giant, he can easily get depeleted by doing that. JVG never realizes that and just let it happan again and again! What a failure![​IMG]

6. drm2dnk

drm2dnk JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dingking:</div><div class="quote_post">What is the point of defence? It is to assure that the team scores more than its opponent. Unfortunately, JVG did make his opponents low socring, but his team scores even less which directly leads the 6 consecutive losses. That is ridiculous to show off JVG's defence and to consider this as a reason that JVG should stay in his position forever. In addition, he has no idea how to adjust his players' moods and psychological condition. He alway furrows his eyebrow and looks like a zombie. How can his men be relaxed when he is around. The most important reason to fire him, is his imcopetance to use Yao effectively. Many people blame Yao for his bad stamina, but his lack of stamina and incnsistency is because the misuse of JVG. Yao is always told to take Pick N' Roll stuff to cover those guards or whoever holds the ball. Yao also have to reach out to those little guards who penetrate into the paint. As 7-6-foot 300ibs giant, he can easily get depeleted by doing that. JVG never realizes that and just let it happan again and again! What a failure![​IMG]</div>

Yeah I think you, me and Durvasa are one of the guys who actually are watching the torturous games around here! JVG's times are numbered if things don't change because his conservative attitude on coaching and attitude is so pessimistic and when you're losing and coached by him it will only ruin confidence even more

7. chineseafro

chineseafro JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah real smart, just because people don't agree with you automatically means that they don't watch Rocket games.

8. tr@cy&ya0

tr@cy&ya0 JBB JustBBall Member

Hire Rudy [​IMG]

9. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 JBB JustBBall Member

I never wanted him here in the first place, There's no way you can say JVG is a good coach, last year he was completely out coached by Avery Johnson. Two game lead in the series and lose a blowout in game seven, The playoffs are about wich team can make the necessary changes when they lose so they don't happen the next game..JVG didn't do that last year and he's not doing it this year. I say get rid of him!!!

10. tr@cy&ya0

tr@cy&ya0 JBB JustBBall Member

if he's known for his defense... I DON'T SEE IT.... for rudy... when he left the lakers everythign was bad for them.... we need to hire him around january [​IMG] he's a scouter for houston rockets right now.. i think.. so why don';t we hire him?? jvg doen't know offense at all... rudy's team's defense was never this bad...

11. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tr@cy&ya0:</div><div class="quote_post">if he's known for his defense... I DON'T SEE IT.... for rudy... when he left the lakers everythign was bad for them.... we need to hire him around january [​IMG] he's a scouter for houston rockets right now.. i think.. so why don';t we hire him?? jvg doen't know offense at all... rudy's team's defense was never this bad...</div>

We were a terrible defensive team in Rudy's last years here. You don't remember?

The Rockets do not have quick athletes on their team, with the exception of McGrady, Swift, and maybe Head. That we were so good defensively last year is a testament to his defensive coaching.

We shouldn't pass judgement on the coaching until we get several games with a healthy McGrady.

12. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">if he's known for his defense... I DON'T SEE IT.... for rudy... when he left the lakers everythign was bad for them.... we need to hire him around january [​IMG] he's a scouter for houston rockets right now.. i think.. so why don';t we hire him?? jvg doen't know offense at all... rudy's team's defense was never this bad...</div>
    By the way, Rudy is a scout for the Lakers right now. Van Gundy's system does have offense in it, its just that none of the players are making their shots. Oh, and we don't have our best closer and offensive player. Its really not his fault. Besides, why'are you so high on Rudy anyways? He brought Houston two championships coaching because well, he coached one of the best centers of all time, plus Drexler his second year. The reason his defense wasn't so bad was because news flash, he had Hakeem who is in the top five for all time blocks. The later seasons Rudy had with the Rockets were mediocre, so the point I'm trying to make is just that Rudy's a bit overrated.

13. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Rudy T is a coach who wants to run everytime, and I guess that would make some of you love him. However, under Rudy, Yao got very little touches and his lack of stamina was exposed because of the constant running. Under Rudy, Steve Francis and Mobley were able to shoot at will, and there never seemed to be a set offensive play; Stevie and Cat were just creating for themselves. Lots of isos were run and I guess McGrady would thrive in that setup, but will it help us win any more than Van Gundy's style can?

14. ClutchCity

ClutchCity JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">By the way, Rudy is a scout for the Lakers right now. Van Gundy's system does have offense in it, its just that none of the players are making their shots. Oh, and we don't have our best closer and offensive player. Its really not his fault. Besides, why'are you so high on Rudy anyways? He brought Houston two championships coaching because well, he coached one of the best centers of all time, plus Drexler his second year. The reason his defense wasn't so bad was because news flash, he had Hakeem who is in the top five for all time blocks. The later seasons Rudy had with the Rockets were mediocre, so the point I'm trying to make is just that Rudy's a bit overrated.</div>

JVG has never been a good offensive coach, this team is loaded with offensive players, he know nada about offense.

Not having TMac doesnt mean we should be winless. This team has more than enough potential to win games.

The first title, Rudy took a team with Hakeem and no one else to a championship. How can you say that is no big deal. WInning a championship is no big deal. The second title we came from the sixth seed. With the lakers, he had them off to the playoffs.

Rudy wont caoch us though. There are few coaches out there who would have us winless right now, that for sure. How about Paul Silas.

15. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    JVG has never been a good offensive coach, this team is loaded with offensive players, he know nada about offense.

Not having TMac doesnt mean we should be winless. This team has more than enough potential to win games.</div>
    We seemed pretty fine last year with what we had last year. Loaded with offensive players? Our new additions Anderson and Swift have hardly been living up to their potential. Anderson shoots below .400 percent from the field while Swift has been seriously inconsistent from game to game. The point is, the players aren't living up to their potential due to who knows what. Not understanding the system, shots not falling, and inability of Yao to produce as the first option are all problems that lead up to this record. Think about it this way, if we did have McGrady, our chances of us winning those games where we just come up short would be significantly greater. You're right, we shouldn't be winless, but I don't think thats Van Gundy's problem. In the first few games, all the shooting guards' shots weren't falling and were shooting horrible percentages from the field. I don't blame the coach for that. Meanwhile, it was obvious later on that the new players still didn't understand how to execute the defense and offense correctly. Swift even stated he needed to know where to be on offense more to be more effective. Bottomline is that I don't think we should jump to conclusions on how the season will pan out, its just way too early.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The first title, Rudy took a team with Hakeem and no one else to a championship. How can you say that is no big deal. WInning a championship is no big deal. The second title we came from the sixth seed. With the lakers, he had them off to the playoffs.</div>
    Hakeem was surrounded by a bunch of quality role players that did their job and did it well. I didn't follow the Rockets back then, but from research they did have Horry, Smith, Thorpe, Maxwell, and Jent who all put up pretty nice numbers. Plus, they had a pretty good bench as well with Mario Elie as the most notable. I really don't think seeds have anything to do with Championships. It only tells you how good overall the season was, but would you say the eighth seed Denver of last year was worse than the sixth seeded Kings? After their end of the year spurt, its hard to tell. With the Lakers, he was only with them for a short period of time. Tough call wouldn't you say when there's so much more of the season left.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Rudy wont caoch us though. There are few coaches out there who would have us winless right now, that for sure. How about Paul Silas.</div>
    We aren't winless, we have three wins. [​IMG]

16. KfrumHTOWN!

KfrumHTOWN! JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting aznkillabeez:</div><div class="quote_post"> Or little yao ming yi jian lian. or whatever the young chinese 7 foooter is .. He could be the next dirk if he develops his defensive game.</div>
    This is off topic but does dirk and defense even go in the same sentence?!?!?!?!

17. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

By winless i meant without Tmac.

the rockets were underdogs, and if you look at most teams, they have atleast two allstar players on thier team when they win championships. The rockets just had role players. RUdy is a great coach. What do you consider a good caoch.

I think the reason our players, none of them, are hitting their shots has to do with JVG rather than a big coincidence. Our offense is still the worst in the nba. A lot of people struggle with JVG's system. Francis and Mobley did, it wasnt their fault. They couldnt play under JVG's system. You will rarely see someone go out and diss their coach. Even Francis didnt complain about JVG, until he was a magic.

18. Rockets_1

Rockets_1 JBB JustBBall Member

He means winless without T-mac playing. i like JVG but if we do end up firing him then paul silas is not a bad option.

19. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

If the Rockets continue to fall in the standings regardless of injuries and new players on the roster, JVG is likely the scapegoat. Someone's going to be held accountable and unfortunately JVG is the likely canidate. If the Kings fire Rick Adleman I think he would be a great replacement for the Rockets. He will be far more creative with Yao Ming in the offense. Right now the Rockets are suffering from bad chemistry. The roster has a lot of talent, but the talent they have all need the ball to be effective players. The Rockets still do not have a defensive stopper on the perimeter and they still haven't replaced Sura with a capable point guard and leader.

I think JVG deserves at least this season to work with this team. The problem with the offseason was bringing in players who have never listened and grasped the concept of team play. With players like DA, Alston, and Swift not listening to their coach, it creates a negative energy in the locker room and becomes very disruptive. So no matter how hard JVG tries to get through to these knuckleheads it's not working and he's going to be blamed for losing the confidence of his team.

20. ClutchCity

ClutchCity JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">We seemed pretty fine last year with what we had last year. Loaded with offensive players? Our new additions Anderson and Swift have hardly been living up to their potential. Anderson shoots below .400 percent from the field while Swift has been seriously inconsistent from game to game. The point is, the players aren't living up to their potential due to who knows what. Not understanding the system, shots not falling, and inability of Yao to produce as the first option are all problems that lead up to this record. Think about it this way, if we did have McGrady, our chances of us winning those games where we just come up short would be significantly greater. You're right, we shouldn't be winless, but I don't think thats Van Gundy's problem. In the first few games, all the shooting guards' shots weren't falling and were shooting horrible percentages from the field. I don't blame the coach for that. Meanwhile, it was obvious later on that the new players still didn't understand how to execute the defense and offense correctly. Swift even stated he needed to know where to be on offense more to be more effective. Bottomline is that I don't think we should jump to conclusions on how the season will pan out, its just way too early.

Hakeem was surrounded by a bunch of quality role players that did their job and did it well. I didn't follow the Rockets back then, but from research they did have Horry, Smith, Thorpe, Maxwell, and Jent who all put up pretty nice numbers. Plus, they had a pretty good bench as well with Mario Elie as the most notable. I really don't think seeds have anything to do with Championships. It only tells you how good overall the season was, but would you say the eighth seed Denver of last year was worse than the sixth seeded Kings? After their end of the year spurt, its hard to tell. With the Lakers, he was only with them for a short period of time. Tough call wouldn't you say when there's so much more of the season left.

We aren't winless, we have three wins. [​IMG]</div>

I meant without Tmac, and you knew that.[​IMG]

About Rudy, the rockets were underdogs, and if you look at most teams, they have atleast two great players on thier team when they win championships. The rockets just had role players. Rudy was a great coach. I dont know what your concept of good coach is.

I think the reason our players aren't hitting their shots has to do with JVG rather than a big coincidence. Our offense is still the worst in the nba. A lot of people struggle with JVG's system. Why do the players have to get the blame. Francis and Mobley did, it wasnt their fault. They couldnt play under JVG's system. You will rarely see someone go out and diss their coach. Even Francis didnt complain about JVG, until he was a magic.

Another thing, i dont think JVG is knowing how to adapt. I think he could change the gameplan around somemore on the offensive side of the ball. Players are scared to shoot because JVG is strict. He was strict with TMac last year. We sucked, he gave him freedom, Tmac's numbers went up. Like Shapecity said, you can get really creative with Yao.

The new guys arent ball hogs. They are team players. Alston isnt taking many shots with the rockets. Anderson is just stepping up with TMac gone, and also being a spark off the bench. Swift does spread the ball, he is a great offensive player though so he will put up more points. These guys arent negative, i dont see how you an say that or give them the blame. JVG picked these guys and they came here when they had better options.