Game Thread GAME# 72: PISTONS @ BLAZERS - MARCH 23, 2019 - SATURDAY, 7:00 PM, NBATV & NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Mar 20, 2019.

?

On a scale of 10, how important is home court advantage in the Playoffs for these Blazers?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2019.
  1. 1 - Not important at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

2.0%
  4. 4

2.0%
  5. 5

5.9%
  6. 6

5.9%
  7. 7

15.7%
  8. 8

23.5%
  9. 9

11.8%
  10. 10 - Of the utmost importance

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I was watching Turner last night on defense and if I was in charge of showing film to the team I'd show a 3 minute stretch where 6 plays in a row ET fell asleep or did something lazy on defense that led to an easy shot. I don't know if he's still injured or what but he definitely doesn't provide any moxie.

Our coach doesn't make the team watch any film though so it's a moot point.

2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Like i said. I totally understand the Turner issues. But there was just something he brings to the court.

3. kjironman1

The one i really didn't like was where he was fouled and it caused a turnover. He was fouled so i can understand it but he spent about 5 seconds jawing and giving the ref a dirty look. Then was not only late getting back but pretty much gave up on the on getting there. Nurk did it a couple times also. The difference was Stotts pulled Nurk and put Kanter in almost immediately. Kanter then played a few more minutes than usual as he was playing well.

4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    One time Stotts got really mad and made them watch film for 45 minutes!

5. kjironman1

They actually watch video after every game from what i have read. They also go over individual video clips with assistants and have a guy named Johnathan Yim who works as their video coordinator.

Darkwebs likes this.
  6. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Still absolutely comical to me that they made a big deal earlier this year that Stotts made them watch video for 45 minutes. Yes Im aware they have video guys like everyone else.

kjironman1 and hoopsjock like this.
  7. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Saw this blurb and it made me think that we play a little different when CJ is out; do some guys realize they might actually have the chance to get involved and so it improves their focus and decision-making?
    "Aminu demonstrated perhaps his best court awareness of the season. He slashed to the hoop when his defender collapsed on a Lillard drive, he floated into the corner when his defender helped on the roll man, and, importantly, he made his shots in these scenarios."

8. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I sat row e last night (that game was high energy awesome), and the gripes about ET were loud and clear and about what you're referencing. He plays like it doesn't matter.

9. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    I have heard the players talk about watching film. Where do you get the idea that Stotts doesn't have them watch film?

10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Earlier in the year there was a game with a really bad quarter. The comments the next day were that Stotts made them watch the whole quarter!!! Many players commented that they usually only watch a few minutes of film if any at all.

11. CupWizier

retired
    Hmmm? Seems odd as i know players have been interviewed and mentioned watching film.

12. kjironman1

Kind of think “he made his shots” was the biggest part. Wish it happened more.

13. CupWizier

retired
    Here is an exerpt from an article last year.

Stotts, who earlier this week declined an invitation to talk about coaching this season amid growing criticism, did say that a common misconception is that he is easy on the players. He pointed to the film session last week after the Blazers lost at Atlanta, the team with the NBA’s worst record,. “It wasn’t pretty,’’ Stotts said of the film session. The players agreed, noting that Stotts this season has become more direct and more forceful in calling out mistakes during film sessions. “He’s turned up the dial,’’ Meyers Leonard said. “And to be honest, I like it.

Eastoff, 42N8Bounce and kjironman1 like this.
  14. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Last year being the key words.

15. kjironman1

I absolutely doubt that there is an article anywhere that has a player saying they watch “Very little film if any at all”.
    If there is one I most certainly would retract that statement.

16. CupWizier

retired
    Not really as i have read it this year as well and i doubt after many years that he just changed this year. If you have something to show otherwise i would be interested in reading it.

17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Turner shouldn’t be in the rotation but we have no one else to run the second unit. Finding a true backup point guard should be a priority this summer. Turner shouldn’t be anything more than a contract after this season.

It’ll be interesting to see if Portland continues winning without CJ. I think they will. Everyone looks more involved without him. The more dame has the ball in his hands, the better. CJ has shown he can be the lead guy of a team as well, just not on that level.

I see two options going forward; use CJ almost exclusively off the ball (think Klay, Redick, etc) or trade him. The first would require a pretty massive sacrifice by CJ. The second seems more realistic.

18. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw3vZn4xlPWASgxkzKo_KgqI&ust=1553532625263986

Ive always thought this story was funny. I get they watch film, but the interviews around it all made it funnier.

19. CupWizier

retired
    That is pretty funny. Also pretty much shows they do use team film sessions. I imagine a lot of individual film sessions as well.

20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yeah, I know the point was the Blazers could pay lots of tax if they want. But the evidence is pretty substantial the Blazers don't want to pay lots of tax, even if doing so might make for a better team

I mean, the Blazers dumped Vonleh for a TPE to avoid tax last season. Then they let the TPE expire to avoid more tax this season. After all the chatter around here about the Crabbe TPE and it's value...Portland just let it expire too. Just about all the moves Portland has made since 2016 have been cost-cutting moves like letting Davis walk. Even the total of the 3 deals they made before the trade deadline ended up being essentially tax-neutral

so, I'm extremely skeptical that Portland would do a trade like we're discussing, especially not with the ownership questions. And once again, the trade idea we're discussing is one that makes CJ untouchable in a trade for a better player. That doesn't make sense to me, and staking out a position that Turner + Meyers is a worthy trade package makes even less sense

Darkwebs and tester551 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.