General Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by NYR_94, Apr 19, 2024.

1. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

Agree on Boston, and more than just watching them play Florida, looking at their lineup it is at best whatever. I think they are one of those teams that plays hard every regular season game, combined with very good goaltending, and a rugged style equals a lot of regular season points. Come playoff time against better teams playing just as hard, it doesn't translate well. With that said, I'd love to see them win game 4 and at least make it a 6-game series against Florida. The way the past two games have gone it seems unlikely, but you never know.

It really is a shame the Oilers found a way to tie it in the 3rd and win in OT. So, rooting for the Canucks as I wrote earlier. Without Demko you have to think the Oilers will find a way now that they tied the series up 1-1, but again you never know. I also think the Avs/Stars winner will beat the Oilers in the WCF. Very much looking forward to game 3 in Colorado tonight, that has been a great series thus far. My favorite after our series.

2. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

Tough L for the Avs last night as they outplayed the Stars for most of the game. Puts them in a virtual must win situation in game 4 tomorrow. It almost always seems to be the way in the NHL, when one team dominates early and doesn't score, the other team usually scores from out of nowhere to take the lead despite being heavily outplayed, and that's exactly what happened to the Avs in the 1st period.

As for today, we get to see if the Bruins will make it a series against the Panthers, or if they will most likely go quietly in 5 back down in Florida on Tuesday. Marchand is officially out, so it will be a doubly tough task for Boston. And the Oilers host the Canucks in game 3, can the Canucks bounce back after a game 3 OT L, won't be easy in Edmonton, especially with their 3rd string goalie.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Av's have one problem. His name is Georgiev and he sucks.

4. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

What the fuck is this idiot knicks coach doing. You’re down by 30 points. Just play your bench and rest your starters.

5. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

What a total no show by the Knicks right from the tip, pathetic. I have been saying this all series, if the Knicks lose to the Pacers, I think they should fire Tibs and hire a coach that can teach some O and doesn't play his starters into the ground all season. I think Tibs was a good coach for where the Knicks were, I think they need a new coach to take the next step into a legit championship contender (and another top player). Just like the Rangers fired Quinn when they were ready to take the next step.

I think we'll find out all we need to know about the Knicks in game 5 back at home. If they don't come out on fire after this pathetic no show, it tells us everything.

6. kreidertime

Dude, get your head out of your ass the Knicks don’t have anybody left even Brunson is basically playing on 1 foot.

7. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

Disagree. First the Pacers are not that great, if they were playing the Celtics or a very good team, I would be more inclined to accept that. They will lose to Boston in 5 tops if they beat the Pacers, the Pacers are just a solid team, that is all. Second, they still have the Nova trio, and Hartenstein, so they have players. And third, and most importantly, today's effort was embarrassing. They did not show up at all. If they lost a tough game like game 3, okay, but today they didn't even show. Came out missing FT's, open shots, and defending no one. It was pathetic.

I expect the Knicks to play well in game 5 and take a 3-2 lead, they pretty much had today off as well, now let's see what they do.

And my opinion on Tibs is more than just this series, I don't think he is the right coach for the next step. I have felt that way for a long time regardless of today or this series.

8. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They need more high end talent. It's basically an A-- level guy in Brunson and a bunch of other solid guys.

NYR_94 likes this.
  9. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

Completely agree, they need another high-end guy to be a legit championship contender. Thankfully they are playing a team that isn't close to a championship contender either, the Indiana Pacers.

Bruins up 2-0 after the 1st period, I'd love to see them hold onto this game and force the Panthers to go at least 6 games.

10. kreidertime

Bruson is now a mega superstar. Before his foot he was insane. He was one of 4 players in NBA history to put up 40 points in 4 or more playoff games. Booker wants to come to the Knicks. Now basically all the stars do after spending forever giving them a finger. I saw the Purdue center Edey was mocked first pick in the second round. Knicks two first rounders at 26 and 27. I think the Knicks would be high not to take Edey. I don't care if he doesn't have shooting range. Neither does Robinson who is never healthy. I would think they would use a future first rounder to dump Robinson's salary to a team willing to take a chance on him. Edey is durable. At the least he can be a rebounding force.

11. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I think Edey will go right around where the Knicks pick. They may even need to move up slightly if they want him. Would be a huge move for sure if they could add Booker somehow.

12. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

Boston blows the lead, and Florida now leads 3-1. Makes our game tomorrow night even that much more important as there's a good chance Florida will end their series Tuesday night, so if we want to get some rest, we need to win our series in 5 games as well. If they both finish in 5 games, I would expect the series to start Saturday or more likely very early next week (a potential Knicks game 7 is scheduled at MSG Sunday).

13. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

I still dont understand how that 2nd goal for Florida was upheld after being challenged for goaltender interference.

14. TommyD

TommyD New Member

15. TommyD

TommyD New Member

Not only that. Should have been a penalty on Bennett fro cross checking

NYR_94 likes this.
  16. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

I think what that call came down to is this, since no penalty was called on the play, they cannot overturn the goal since Swayman's own player was the one that interfered with him, even though he was pushed/crosschecked into Swayman.

TNT did a terrible job explaining the rule, they need a Dave Jackson type rules guy as part of their broadcast like ESPN has. By the time TNT finally got around to explaining the rule, that is what it sounded like to me, and they cannot retroactively call a penalty during a review, even though one should have been called for crosschecking. Which also leads me to believe it was a wasted challenge by Boston since they couldn't call a penalty during the review, and it was a Boston player that interfered with Swayman.

Again, that is how I understood it, which makes sense since the goal was not overturned. But the rule is dumb, it shouldn't take a penalty to disallow a goal for goalie interference if a player of the same team is physically pushed into the goalie, thereby interfering with him.

17. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

Boston with a good win to stay alive, happy to see it. Florida will still win the series, but happy the Bruins made them play an extra game Friday night.

Knicks did what I expected them to do tonight, big win against the Pacers at home. Extra day off for them before game 6 in Indiana on Friday night, let's see if they can finish it on the road, but odds are we'll see a game 7 back at MSG on Sunday.

Just finished 10 straight days of Rangers or Knicks playoff games, 6-4 record, both teams up 3-2 in their series, both one win away from the ECF. Let's close it out NY.

18. kreidertime

if the Rangers played with half the heart the Knicks did in game five this series would be over.

NYR_94 likes this.
  19. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

In latest example of how difficult it is to close out good teams in the playoffs, the Stars lost at home to the Avs. Teams going for the clincher in round 2 are now 0-4, with 3 of the 4 L's at home. No excuse for the Rangers not showing up in game 5, but it is not easy to close out these series. You need to have A game to do it.

20. NYR_94

NYR_94 Active Member

Vancouver with a big win last night as old friend JT Miller scores with just over 30 seconds remaining, what a great game. I am rooting for Vancouver big-time.

Tonight, we see if the Bruins and Avs can stay alive at home, should be two more great games. Nothing beats the NHL playoffs.