Grizz Leave Bell/Jones unprotected

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Voodoo Child, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">MEMPHIS: Troy Bell, G, 6-1, 23; Ryan Humphrey, F, 6-8, 24; Dahntay Jones, G-F, 6-6, 23; Bo Outlaw, F, 6-8, 23; Theron Smith, F, 6-8, 23; Jake Tsakalidis*, C, 7-2, 25; Lorenzen Wright, C, 6-11, 28.</div>

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo.../8917532.htm?1c

I'm surprised West left Bell out there, and I think it's inevitable that he'll be taken.

2. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

If Charlotte would pick up one of them then that kid would be a lucky one,I can't see neither of them getting playing time next year too,It would be a dumb thing not to get one of them.

3. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">MEMPHIS: Troy Bell, G, 6-1, 23; Ryan Humphrey, F, 6-8, 24; Dahntay Jones, G-F, 6-6, 23; Bo Outlaw, F, 6-8, 23; Theron Smith, F, 6-8, 23; Jake Tsakalidis*, C, 7-2, 25; Lorenzen Wright, C, 6-11, 28.</div>
    A surprise to me here with Troy Bell being left open, I actually had Dahntay Jones going to the Bobcats in my mock expansion drafts so that's no surprise. I think he would be a good pickup.

4. Captain Quicks

Captain Quicks JBB JustBBall Member

I think this is a mistake for the Grizzlies these two kids got potential one's already being talked about because of his 42" vertical(bell), and the other has potential to be an amazing all around player(Jones). Bobcats are set, only if they could take two players they would be getting it rich.

5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

I know a lot of Grizzlies fans don't like Bell, but they're just stubborn southerners who haven't seen what he's done outside of Memphis. However, that's not me. I love Bell; I've followed his career from the time he was in HS at Minnesota and was a potential Michigan State recruit all the way to the year he was the leading scorer in the Big East. I think it's a real shame that we let him go, because it's almost inevitable that the Bobcats will select him. I was actually hoping they might pick Jason Williams. That would give us cap room, a chance to give Watson the starting role he's ready for, and a chance to give Bell to develop as a main backup. It was unlikely that they'd pick him as well, because they said they'd only take All-Star caliber players if they drafted a high salary.

Anyway, what's done is done so all that's left for us to do is look at the potential each of these kids has of being drafted. I think it's obvious that Charlotte will pick one of them. I'd be dumbfounded if they didn't. Right now it's just a question of who they pick. It's very likely that they go with Troy Bell. He's considered the better talent; he was a higher pick than Jones; and he had an All-American college career unlike Jones. The only reasons I could see them not taking Bell would be ticket sales and the NBA Rookie Draft. The ticket sales are a factor because Dahntay Jones went to Duke, so he has a lot of fans in the area that would pay tickets to just see him play in a primetime role. Bell may be a very exciting and high-flying player, but so is Jones. A lot of times people overlook the fact that the Grizzlies drafted the two best athletes available in last year's draft; it wasn't so much a talent thing in my opinion. The NBA Rookie Draft is a factor because three out of the four probably picks for the Bobcats are point guards. There is Shaun Livingston, Ben Gordon, and Devin Harris. The Bobcats might rather have a more evenly distributed starting lineup with Jones and a rookie point guard rather than have Bell backing the rookie point guard. I'm hoping that this will happen, although the odds are that Bell will be the first player chosen in the expansion draft.

6. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

I'm surprised with that they drafted them last year they have not gaven them time devolope but Jerry West knows what he is doing thats for sure

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

This is probably the best list of players for the Bobcats to select from. Bell will likely be taken, but if I were the Bobcats I'd go after Lorenzen Wright. Big men are rare in the league and Wright can post up big numbers when he gets the minutes. There were a couple of games when he scored 30 points and pulled down 20 boards. He's also relatively young being under 30 years old,a nd they get his cap space after 3 seasons.
    Like Wave pointed out, this is a guard heavy draft, so Bell might not make sense for the Bobcats.

Also Iakovos Tsakalidis would make sense. For only $1.5M he's a servicable center, and if they decide not to sign him he won't count against their cap because he would become an unrestricted free agent.

8. og15

og15 JBB *********

Lorenzen Wright has a 7 million dollar contract, he's a decent center, but nothing over the top, I don't see it smart for Charlotte to take on his contract just so they can have a center.

9. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Actually, all these five players are very enticing to me.

Jones and Bell are young players with a bright future, and Outlaw and Tsakalidis are all big men who can hustle and are servicable at the very least. Wright, despite his big contract, could be an All-Star in the Eastern Conference. Expect the Grizz to lose on player through the draft.

10. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Lorenzen Wright has a 7 million dollar contract, he's a decent center, but nothing over the top, I don't see it smart for Charlotte to take on his contract just so they can have a center.</div>

He's overpaid at $7M, but the Bobcats could negotiate for the Grizzlies to pay part of the salary if they take Wright from them. Also even though he makes $7M, that's about the going rate for a solid big man in the league. The top tier Centers are $10M plus, so a second tier center at $7M a year is justifiable. The Bobcats aren't going to be very good to begin with, so loading up on players coming off the books in 3 or 4 years seems like a good long term investment.

11. Ezra

Ezra JBB JustBBall Member

There are like five players that went in last years first round that are available.

As Bobcat management, I'd take every one of them.