Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Discussion in 'Football Discussion' started by CelticKing, Apr 21, 2010.

1. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

Uruaguay

but a draw is very probable

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

same here, uruguay wins i think

3. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

It would of been interesting to see Mexico win 3-0 today, because that would of meant a shoot out if there was a draw. I have a feeling Mexico beats Uruguay because Mexico really have played pretty good through their first 2 matches and should of beat South Africa if they could of found the back of the net.

My prediction:
    2-1 Mexico

4. Mr.Gunner

Mr.Gunner Member

It's really up for grabs, it will be a tight game.The irony is that Mexico could not beat SA, but Uruguay did. Uruguay couldn't beat France, but Mexico did.

5. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Thomas! It's up for grabs now.... Thomas! Right at the end!

[video=youtube;4jiBIdtUKhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jiBIdtUKhs[/video]

6. Mr.Gunner

Mr.Gunner Member

7. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I think Uruguay will beat Mexico by two goals and France will beat South Africa by two or three goals. France will need three if they want any chance of moving on, which may happen if they can get their act together. Domenech needs to open things up and let the players play their game ... if you thought the English media were harsh on their players, check out the French.

[video=youtube;ZeeXEUP0yzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeeXEUP0yzM[/video]

For those of you that understand French, this is hilarious. Start watching at 1:42, the sketch titled "Vous, voue etes la!" which means "You, You're there!" A play on words of the vuvuzela. Here is a rough translation.

Narrator: After the Vuvuzela of the South Africans, discover the French specialty, the "Vous, vous etes la".

Anelka: Huh, coach, where do we go on the attacks?

Domenech: Fuck, it's not that complicated!! You, you're there!! (points at positions on the field)

Ribéry: And what if Govou makes a centering pass?

Domenech: It's the same thing! Ribéry, Malouda, Anelka, play central, you, you're there!! (points at positions)

Other player: And when the Uruguayans have the ball, where are we?

Domenech: The midfielders, you, you're there!

Narrator: The Vous, Vous etes la!, Domenech's instrument to manage his trumpets.

8. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst

9. Mr.Gunner

Mr.Gunner Member

10. agoo

agoo Member

I'm hoping that I stated my comments regarding how highly I thought of Uruguay on here. I remember a lot of people sleeping on them, while I thought they'd win this group. As much as I find the plight of France entertaining, I was hoping that they could do pull off something to eliminate Mexico. Uruguay will beat Mexico easily and might end up going further in this tournament than I expected. I knew their attack would be strong, but their defending has also been terrific.

Is it too late for me to go back and predict that Forlan will win the Golden Boot?

11. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Definitely not too late as the tournament is still early.

I also never understood why people were underestimating Uruguay. Most articles I've read and people's predictions had Uruguay finishing last. LAST!? That was laughable. Uruguay have a solid squad, though not deep, they have a mix of everything needed to go far in the World Cup. I would love to see them surprise everyone and reach the quarter finals or one better, which is probable.

12. CelticKing

I thought France knowing what talent they have, and South Africa being home would move to the second stage.

Boy was I wrong. :(

13. agoo

agoo Member

I had Uruguay and Mexico, but was seriously hoping for South Africa to beat out the Mexicans.

14. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I had France on top with Uruguay finishing second. Now it looks like France will have to hope for the best and play their best football in years if they want any chance on moving on.

15. CelticKing

Have to start Henry if they want a win.

16. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    They need a new formation. This is what I think they should use based on the players on the squad.

GK Hugo Lloris
    RB Anthony Réveillère
    RCB William Gallas
    LCB Marc Planus
    LB Patrice Evra
    RDM Alou Diarra
    LDM Abou Diaby
    RAM Yoann Gourcuff
    LAM Franck Ribéry
    RS André-Pierre Gignac
    LS Thierry Henry

Anthony Réveillère is a quality right back that has been overlooked most of his career. He can push forward almost as well as Sagna, only he won't leave the defense open as often as the Arsenal back and doesn't make as many mistakes. Since Philippe Mexès and Adil Rami were left out of the squad, despite the fact that they're France's best central defenders, I've kept Gallas on and added Marc Planus. Abidal is getting slower by the day and doesn't have that sharp defensive awareness that he once had during his time with OL and LOSC. I've kept Lloris and Evra as they're the best on the squad at their positions.

With Toulalan suspended, not that it really matters, I've added Alou Diarra. Diarra adds height, strength and a physical presence in the midfield in order to consistently shut down the South African attack. He can also push forward for set pieces since he's solid at heading the ball. Abou Diaby should be his partner in the midfield, only I would allow Diaby to push forward with the ball more often. He should not hold onto the ball long, being utilized as a player that will usually sit outside of the box waiting for a pass in case the attackers run out of space. Gourcuff and Ribéry on opposite sides will provide a deadly attack.

Henry should be up front with Gignac. This way the French squad will have both the skill, strength and height to score plenty of goals. I would be confident with this squad being able to score more than three goals against South Africa, an inferior squad at every position on the pitch.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  17. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    I've always rated Uruguay very high and I've done the same for Mexico. They were underestimated against France and they paid for it (even though they were very poor). Even with their youngsters, I don't think they'll be able to beat Forlan & co. 2-1, Uruguay (Forlan, Suarez, Hernandez)

18. CelticKing

Amazing how much talent they have, yet no game plan from the coach. haha

19. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    It is amazing how Thierry Henry isn't shown more playing time even with the 'controversy' that is surrounding him.

20. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst