I asked Henry to join Liverpool, says Gerarrd

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC' started by CelticKing, Dec 23, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I asked Henry to join Liverpool, says Gerarrd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>LONDON (AFP) - Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has admitted that he tried to persuade friend Thierry Henry to join him at Anfield.

Instead the France forward opted to move to Barcelona in the summer after deciding to curtail a glittering career with Arsenal.

Liverpool, however, still managed to secure the signature of a top striker in Fernando Torres.

He took his tally for the season to 14 following his 20-million-pound move from Atletico Madrid with a brace against Portsmouth.

England midfielder Gerrard was keen to get Henry on board after building a relationship with him when they faced each other for club and country.

"I sent him a few text messages seeing if he fancied it," Gerrard said.

"I would have loved to have seen him in a Liverpool shirt, just like the supporters would have.

"But he wanted to wanted to play in Spain and for Barcelona, so you had to respect that decision.

"However he's got a lot of respect for Liverpool. He speaks really well about us."

On how they got to know each other well, Gerrard told www.liverpoolfc.tv: "Just through the respect from playing against each other.

"One day we swapped numbers and ever since we've been sending each other text messages, had phone calls, we support each other and stuff.

"It is really flattering when a player at that level comes out and gives you a bit of praise.

"He is just settling in at Barcelona now and I'm sure he'll prove again he's one of the best players in the world."

Gerrard's heart clearly belongs to Liverpool and he hinted should he ever be offered the manager's job he would be reluctant to refuse.

"If I was qualified to do it, there's no way I could turn it down because of my bond with the club and the supporters," said the Anfield skipper.

"But I think Jamie Carragher's got more chance than me, he maybe loves the game more than me, he studies the game more than me. So maybe he might be a bit more prepared than me."</div>

2. Hudge

Hudge Active Member

I'm about to go out so I don't have time to search the site for quotes about how crap Torres is but they're their. 15 goals in 22 games. Adebayor has 10 in 22.

3. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

Aresnal would have sold Henry to Liverpool? I think not.

-Petey

4. Art_gunner4life

Art_gunner4life DYC Arsenal Fan

I recall he once said he had admiration for liverpool, he was just scared of getting his house burgled or his ferrari stolen on vacaction if he ever played there...lol [​IMG] , but I'm sure henry would have helped them win a league.

5. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hudge @ Dec 28 2007, 03:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm about to go out so I don't have time to search the site for quotes about how crap Torres is but they're their. 15 goals in 22 games. Adebayor has 10 in 22.</div>

C'mon Hudge.

Torres =£24,000,000
    Adebayor= £6,000,000

Torres has 9 league goals
    Adebayor has 13 league goals.

6. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Plus, 4 years ago, who was Adebayour?

To the topic, Henry would never of gone to Liverpool, the cheek of 'em.

7. DDRickyDD

DDRickyDD SportsTwo Member.

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Art_gunner4life @ Jan 3 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I recall he once said he had admiration for liverpool, he was just scared of getting his house burgled or his ferrari stolen on vacaction if he ever played there...lol [​IMG] , but I'm sure henry would have helped them win a league.</div>

http://sportstwo.com/forums/Thieving-Scousers-t45700.html