Kakko signed

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Jul 28, 2022.

1. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    you do realize there is a difference between the ice time between a defensemen and a winger right.

2. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    not to mention that when Fox and Miller came to the team, the rangers didnt have All Star caliber players ahead of them.

3. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Of course there is, but the point is they were given the opportunity right away to be key members of the team with top minutes. The team could have easily brought them along slowly, give them 13-15 minutes a game (like when Hajek played and got 13 minutes a game, or Lundkvist who got about 14 minutes) and not see PP or PK time. That did not happen, instead Miller and Fox were immediately playing top minutes at their positions and we are better off now because of it.

We handled Fox and Miller exactly as we should have but for some reason don't do the same at forward which is evident to everyone when you have to bring up Kreider who was drafted almost 15 years.

4. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    what all star defensemen did the rangers have on the blueline that would have supressed Fox and Miller from getting ice time....

Btw..by your logic why arent people bitching that Brenden Schnieder didnt get more icetime?

5. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Exactly 31. The kid line was our best line at even strength many playoff nights. Just think how much better they would have been with more icetime, more PP time and more confidence. Not to mention how giving vets less PP time would have forced them to do more at even strength than rely on the PP for most of their points. The Rangers have been totally incompetent developing Lafreniere and Kakko. It can't be disputed. With developing goalies and defenseman the organization is elite. With forwards they are the bottom of the barrel.

6. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    This isnt the minor leagues..the concern isnt to develop kids its TO WIN GAMES. Period.
    IF the power play was ranked in the bottom third then yeah...throw out Laf and Kakko..but .....it wasnt...it was one of the best dam pp's in the league...and gee whiz...the season was one of their best ever yet all we hear about is how fucking dumb the rangers were for not putting Laf and Kakko on the PP..smh

NYR Fan and Ranger71 like this.
  7. PorterPanzer

PorterPanzer Active Member

If all Kappo needed was a few more minutes of ice time per game to become a superstar 10 teams would have made him a $4 mil offer the Rangers wouldn't have matched. One season in with Drury/GG ridiculous success and now it's actually not about winning, it's about development.

8. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I think this season we see both laf and kakko (with good health) take big steps forward and 1 of them gets added to the first PP. Bigger question is if the rumors about panerin being moved come to pass.

9. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

What rumors are those? I haven't heard any but I also haven't been paying attention much since the season was over.

10. PorterPanzer

PorterPanzer Active Member

Those rumors are bs, Panarin gave an interview and clearly stated he's not going anywhere and referenced his NTC. He's coming off a career year so I'm happy to have him back, some would have him moved to get more time for the kids, a perpetual rebuild. I agree with you Mel, the only thing holding them back is if they come into camp poorly conditioned like last year. I'm very interested in seeing Kakko, my hopes are that he comes in with a chip on his shoulder, getting benched in the playoffs and getting nothing in the way of offers should be a huge wakeup call. Laf figured things out postseason, I'm not worried about him.

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  11. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would consider moving Panarin, not because of the kids but because his contract is pretty bad and still has 4 season to go.

However, i would have him move to RW so we could have Lafreniere-Zib-Panarin make the first line.