'Monster' Move: Thomas a Starter?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Shapecity, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">PHILADELPHIA -- Coach Scott Skiles said before Wednesday's game he hadn't ruled out starting rookie Tyrus Thomas down the stretch.

That move would come at the expense of veteran P.J. Brown, Thomas' closest friend on the Bulls. The two recently spent an off day together in Orlando along with family members.

"I've created a monster," Brown said facetiously. "This young guy is about ready to take over. But that's good. We're going to need him if we're going to make a run."

Indeed, with Andres Nocioni sidelined by plantar fasciitis in his right foot, any contributions from Thomas are welcome.

Not many occurred against the 76ers, one night after Thomas had his career-best night (23 points, nine rebounds) against the Celtics. Thomas finished with five points and four rebounds in 18 minutes and actually ceded to Brown, who turned back the clock with 11 points and seven rebounds.

Skiles said Thomas, while still dealing with maintaining his focus that may not be evident to the casual fan, has improved dramatically in this department even since Christmas.

"He has earned more playing time," Skiles said. "I'm excited for him because I've seen a lot of progress.

"I know it's easy to look at two or three games and say, 'He could've been doing this all along. Why weren't they playing him?' I would counter that by saying that's a valid point. And another valid point may be that he's being brought along in just the right time."</div>

Source

2. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

1 thing i can say about tyrus is that hes alot more pateint and hes not trying to play outside his game anymore.

hes earned my respect this year.

ps
    him making sports center top 10 twice a week aint hurting him either

3. Bulls=Amazing

Bulls=Amazing JBB chea

Yeah I'm sold on Tyrus. I think I forget that he is a top draft pick and has huge potential. After the Boston game I've come to realize how amazong he can become.

I'm also glad he didn't try to force anything last night. He only took 2 shots and made 1, while going 3-4 from the line against the Sixers. I expected him to come out swinging like an idiot and do that clumsy play he did at begining of the year.

Love spring break. Love Comcast. At school I would have missed these games.

4. Bull Riding

Bull Riding JBB JustBBall Member

A big move, I am really excited about this, P.J.Brown coming off the bench is also going to be key. He is an experienced player.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I don't think a big game against one of the worst teams in the league warrants a starting spot.

6. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think a big game against one of the worst teams in the league warrants a starting spot.</div>

What are you talking about? He really took Brian Scalabrine to school!

7. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think a big game against one of the worst teams in the league warrants a starting spot.</div>

Seriously the kid isn't that bad. I don't think he should start, but as he continues to adjust he could start regularly by next season. He really needs to improve his free throw percentage and until he does that I don't think he should be awarded the starting spot over P.J. Brown. He has a poor turnover ratio when playing more minutes as well. He needs te be more aware of what's going on and not concentrating on just getting the ball.

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

How was he scoring the majority of his points against the Celtics? Just curious to know what type of game he plays.

9. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

Yes, because Skiles is just going to throw him out there because of one good game. No. If you've seen all the Bulls games than you would know how much he's improved.

10. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">~Fatality~ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, because Skiles is just going to throw him out there because of one good game. No. If you've seen all the Bulls games than you would know how much he's improved.</div>

There we go. Exactly.

11. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How was he scoring the majority of his points against the Celtics? Just curious to know what type of game he plays.</div>Most of his offense was from hustle plays. He got loose balls and offensive boards and turned them into easy baskets. He also caught and converted a couple alley-oops both on the break, and in the half court.

To be honest, I wasn't even that impressed with him in that game. It was the second game of a home and home series, and the Celtics had just gotten torched by Gordon and Hinrich the night before. Doc Rivers turned his entire defensive focus on the perimeter, in order to control them, which did work but it allowed Ben Wallace and Thomas to roam free underneath. Wallace set a career high in FGA and Thomas set a career high in points.

12. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Well I think 44 must be the only non-Bulls fans to have been impressed by Tyrus Thomas. There is no denying his crazy athletisism. He could be a great player down the road.

13. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

When he played the Raptors I thought he hurt them more than he helped them.

14. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

He has improved, but I don't think he should start. This lineup has been working and we need that spark of the bench especially while Noc is still out.

15. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

The only problem I have with Tyrus is he tries to play outside of his element to often. However, whenever he is on the court he is always going hard for boards, and blocks. PJ Brown has struggled this entire month, meanwhile Tyrus has shined in less time, Paxson should find out what Tyrus can do before we go into the playoffs.

16. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

The thing that I like about P.J. is that he has a mid-range jumper, it hasn't been falling this month. But, with Tyrus and Ben in the starting frontcourt, neither of them can really provide a jumpshot. Hopefully Tyrus works on that this off-season.