Notice Official Around The WNBA:2024

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, May 14, 2024.

1. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Guess you are suggesting they wasted the pick and should just cut her. Who would you have taken number one and should Clark have even been drafted? You seem to be well versed in girls basketball. I admit I couldn't really care less.

2. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. It's just pretty silly to expect her to dominate right now. All of the people complaining about her team sucking or her teammates not standing up for her or the rest of the league defending her too good or whatever...

She's going to need to adjust her game to be on a winning team at this level. She can't dribble into a double team and expect to get a decent look. It's going to be a turnover. Complaining at the refs isn't going to make a difference.

She's doing about as well as anybody should have expected her to do.

3. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure if Wemby was cheap shotted like Clark has been, the entire team would come to his side. Pop would be ranting in the press conference and sending film to the league office. Sounds like the WNBA needs to clean up their game like the NBA did after the Pistons era when nobody wanted to watch 75-74 thug ball games. They learned fans pay to see scoring, not cheap shots and free throws. Sabrina didn’t face one-tenth of this on court and off court BS as a rookie. Once the girls work through their insecurities maybe they will realize the league has its first cash cow. I’m sure the NBA players would like it as they have been subsiding the WNBA since its inception. They would probably like to bank that money.

4. Phatguysrule

I haven't seen her being cheap shotted. They've played tough D on her, but the only out of line foul I've seen was the one we've showed.

Wemby also doesn't flop around like he's been shot for no reason. So his teammates aren't accustomed to him flailing about like that.

If her teammates jumped up every time she flopped around like that the games would take all night.

Sabrina didn't have to deal with all of that largely because she would have just passed the ball and cut to the open spot to break the pressure. It wouldn't work on her.

Clark needs to adjust her game. What worked in college isn't going to work in the pros.

She's going to be fine. She's going to be a very good player. Just give it time.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I never said any of that, I simply said SHE is the reason….good or bad…. That everybody is tuning in. The same thing happened with Tiger. All the golfers got pissed about it and then realized how it was better for the game.

BIG Q likes this.
  6. THE HCP

WHAT?

BIG Q likes this.
  7. Phatguysrule

Do you have some links of cheap shots? I've only seen the one that was called and upgraded to a flagrant. But that was a player with a history of that kind of behavior.

8. Phatguysrule

I don't see the similarities (regarding player action, etc.)... It's great that there are more eyes on women's basketball. I think everyone appreciates that.

I don't understand what the complaints are about... What solutions are people seeking?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  9. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

This is a good point. How much are you hearing about Golf right now other than the guy who got arrested. He’s even the number one ranked player in the world and I can’t recall his name.
    Sports make money off of superstars. The media is paramount in creating them.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

If she is still growing attendance and viewership in a year? give her a bonus

My guess, like all things that are hyped to this degree, it will level off after a while.

Phatguysrule and Pinwheel1 like this.
  11. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Hope not. Love that more people are viewing the sport. Hopefully Paige builds on that next year but what Clark has brought in terms of eyeballs is unprecedented.

12. JFizzleRaider

Not every complaint needs a solution.

At the end of the day - I think everyone is rooting for her and should be rooting for her. She is the best thing that has happened to the WNBA in terms of popularity which in turn should allow the women to get paid more. Which should be the biggest priority. Hope she meets her potential.

RR7 and Phatguysrule like this.
  13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

The WNBA have had some outstanding players over the years and Im sure that Clark will end up a decent pro. The NBA has been a marketing machine for years (The NBA IS FANtastic) and they will try the same with WNBA.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  14. JFizzleRaider

Of course. It isn't always just about outstanding players bringing in eyeballs though. Some people just end up more marketable through a variety of factors.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. Phatguysrule

Absolutely. Agree 100%

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  16. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Clark with 30 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals in Fever win. It's not just hype.

RR7, BIG Q, Phatguysrule and 2 others like this.
  17. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

she splashed 7 triples, baby Melo

Phatguysrule likes this.
  18. THE HCP

19. THE HCP

20. Phatguysrule

I don't think it's any coincidence that the WNBA had an over $75 million funding round for marketing and building the brand a couple years ago and all of a sudden we've got incredibly popular players year after year and an unbelievable draft class this year, headlined by Caitlin Clark and Cameron Brink, as well as others like Angel Reese who are just very popular.

The women's game hasn't had enough funding to really make a go of it. I think that matters a lot.