Notice Official Around The WNBA:2024

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, May 14, 2024.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I would argue that the $75M you mention hasn't done anything for the WNBA, at least in terms of player recognition. All the players that I ever hear about became national names in college, and then carried that popularity into the league. Which WNBA players have become popular/famous after they've gone pro?

JFizzleRaider and BIG Q like this.
  2. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

If the WNBA is smart they are using that money (at least some of it) and helping to market the college players that they think will sell tickets in the WNBA.

I would be willing to bet that is the case.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
  3. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Idk man. Caitlin clark was pretty huge from her NCAA days. She shattered records there too. Not sure the WNBA has that much to do with it.

Phatguysrule and PtldPlatypus like this.
  4. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

5. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Just saw that Caitlin Clark was left off Team USA for the Paris Olympics. I think that is a HUGE mistake!

BIG Q likes this.
  6. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Was anyone in the crowd there to watch Angel? They are said to be coming to watch her too.

THE HCP likes this.
  7. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    The Dream Team learned their lesson from including Christian Laettner

8. Phatguysrule

She definitely was huge in college. I'm betting some of that WNBA funding helped promote the best college players as well.

I just don't think it's a coincidence that WNBA has been way up since that funding round. Eventually they were going to have a player like Caitlin Clark and a draft class like this.

The question was, were they in position to maximize that opportunity?

Who set up the 3pt contest between Steph and Sabrina? That all helps.

Not taking anything away from the current crop of players. Just on observation on how that additional funding seems to have been very impactful.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  9. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

You mentioned the three point contest with Steph and Sabrina. Did WNBA players get their panties up in a wad over her, a rookie doing it and not some old 10 year vet? I didn’t hear anything against Sabrina. But Sabrina didn’t set any NCAA scoring records. She is a great all around player that can shoot too. Clark is a great all around player that can also shoot but also set NCAA scoring records and packs butts in arena’s and has people following her on tv. If Clark is chosen for a three point contest with Steph the Clark haters will be out in full force trying to belittle her, her achievements and the event itself. It is pure jealousy unmasked that has a lot of politics mixed in. I know looks should not be a factor in marketing a female athlete, but it still is in this world. Reese and Brink are stunningly beautiful and tall. They get magazine covers and all. Hugely marketable. But they play positions that are quite boring in the WNBA. Now if they were dunking and blocking shots into the 7th row they would be packing arena’s. But that is not happening. Clark is a rather plain looking woman that would not be on a magazine cover if not for being an incredible basketball player. Sure, she cleans up great for a photo shoot, but that is not how she is marketed. That is a beside. She is a basketball player first and foremost. She shoots threes from the logo, passes the rock, pushes the rock. Can rebound some. But she plays her position with flare and personality. It puts butts in seats. People watch her on TV. She plays a brand of basketball that people like, period. Here she has me typing this crap out because I enjoy her game and am intrigued. I’m not checking in on Reese or Brink.

robson likes this.
  10. Phatguysrule

I'm not sure how you got offended by what I posted but it wasn't intended to take away from anybody. It was crediting the work the WNBA has done to grow the brand. Which has been working.

I think Sabrina is closer in looks to Clark than she is to Brink or Reese. They look like normal girls rather than models. Which is awesome.

Sabrina set the triple double record in college by miles. For men or women. By more than double.

But most of that was before the WNBA got their funding round.

11. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

I’m not offended at all. As for Sabrina, I love her game and tenacity. She is closer to Clark than the other two. Maybe the WNVA got their infusion of money after Sabrina arrived seeing what a great player she IS for the league and what Clark WILL be bringing to the league. People wanted to invest in those two because their games are fun and relatable. Women who can’t dunk or block shots viciously are for the most part boring. Sucks to say but is true IMO. Angel could average 25/12 and most fans won’t care because it is boring under the basket play. She could win MVP with those numbers. People still want to see Sabrina and Caitlin. I am now interested in the girl Clark “handed the torch to.” The WNBA game is changing to a more viewer friendly game with logo threes and great all around play. The old school players need to get on board like the NBA did with Bird/Magic.

12. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Paige Bueckers
    JoJo Watson

Phatguysrule and BIG Q like this.
  13. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Believe it was Jojo Watson. Of course Caitlin doesn’t get to anoint the next star. Paige is phenomenal as well. Maybe she will be like Jordan joining Bird/Magic, which in this case is Sabrina/Caitlin. Gonna be some good basketball for years to come in the WNBA.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  14. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark have been compared to Bird/Magic. Great rookie class.

Phatguysrule and BIG Q like this.
  15. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

IMG_6597.jpeg

RR7 and BIG Q like this.
  16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

That's a horrible comparison, IMO.

17. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

nobody in charge would say it but I'm guessing the WNBA brass is secretly happy about that flagrant of Clarke because it insanely got so much media attention, and the WNBA needs as much media attention as it can get

and lol at that flagrant; big fucking deal...the NBA probably has 200 flagrant fouls of that severity, or worse, every season.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  18. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
  19. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Link broken.

20. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest