Official Rockets Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Sniper, Dec 2, 2005.

1. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Look at the Official Rockets Trade Thread. Good, now I'm going to move it there. All trade theories or proposals go in there. Thanks.

2. Iguodala

Iguodala JBB JustBBall Member

Sorry about that[​IMG]

3. tr@cy&ya0

tr@cy&ya0 JBB JustBBall Member

no... i dont' like the trade,, thomas is good, but i think howard's been doing good so far.... plus sac won't accept

4. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I'm not high on getting rid of Swift or Alston just yet...I feel we should ATLEAST give them a season in JVG's system...after all, players in the past have confirmed that its not the easiest system to learn...

therefore, we have Wesley as our lone trade bait...

I believe we should go after a swingman who is quick and has defensive ability...preferably someone who is young...we have to realize that we do not need to make a big, blockbuster move..we just need someone who fits the team and fills a need...

therefore, I suggest we trade Wesley to Utah for Matt Harpring...Wesley gives them a solid combo guard (which helps because Giricek is injured and theres no stability besides Devin Brown and Deron Williams) plus outside shooting, which the Jazz have been lacking...

Harpring would give us a solid rebounder who is gritty and tough and who defends as if his life depended upon it...plus he has shooting range out to the 3-point line...

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    It doesn't look like Van Gundy's system is so hard to get used to, considering the time it took for other players. Jon Barry, David Wesley, Mike James and even Luther Head have all adjusted to Van Gundy's system in a very short time, even immediately, so I don't know why it's taking Swift and Alston so long. Only reason I can think of is they're so used to playing their own way that they've shut off any other set-ups.

Also, if we do trade Wesley, we'd better get a point guard in return. Wesley and Head are handling ball duties right now, and if we trade Wesley, we'd have just Head until Alston and Sura come back.

6. giftedvisionz

giftedvisionz JBB JustBBall Member

The problem with the Rockets is their perimeter defense. The Houston backcourt isn't quick enough to guard other 1's and 2's on a regular basis. The first on the agenda should be to pick up a defensive stopper to play alongside Alston or Bobby Sura, who's quick, can run the floor, and can shoot well.

I think keeping Swift now is the best thing to do. If he plays defense, the team could get stops leading to many transition baskets and fastbreak oppurtunities. If he doesn't, then consider trading him.

7. viertelasiat

viertelasiat JBB JustBBall Member

since atlanta needs a point guard I say we go after harrington just dont give up swift. something like rafer+juwan+dike for AH+Pachulia. Pachulia could provide rebounding too. dunno if atlanta would do this trade tho.

8. tr@cy&ya0

of couse atlanta won't do it......... neither would rockets...... an ex-all defender whos about to retire for a young 20 something year old rebound/block/ machine...

9. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">It doesn't look like Van Gundy's system is so hard to get used to, considering the time it took for other players. Jon Barry, David Wesley, Mike James and even Luther Head have all adjusted to Van Gundy's system in a very short time, even immediately, so I don't know why it's taking Swift and Alston so long. Only reason I can think of is they're so used to playing their own way that they've shut off any other set-ups.

Also, if we do trade Wesley, we'd better get a point guard in return. Wesley and Head are handling ball duties right now, and if we trade Wesley, we'd have just Head until Alston and Sura come back.</div>

McGrady said this offseason that he didnt have 100% grasp of Van Gundy's system until late in the season last year...those players you mentioned as seeming to have grasped his system are doing so because they arent asked to do much- shoot, spot-up, dont turn the ball over...for other players who are more involved in the offense (i.e. McGrady, Alston, Swift, Yao), the offense is much more difficult because what they do dictates the offense...Van Gundy's playbook is said to be THICK and with so many plays, and variations of plays, so surely it will take newcomers much longer than 19 games to get a hold of what is expected of them on the floor.

10. Trip

Student
    Is Swift really doing so much more than what was asked of Wesley, Barry and James? When those three came in, they immediately took over starting spots and played well from day one. Wesley and Barry were more than just spot shooters when they first joined the team; they were also involved in a lot of plays. James came in and took over the point guard spot, and I believe he scored 23 points in his first game, a Rockets win. Alston has played enough games so far as a point guard that I think we can compare the time he's taken to fit in to James's. It's evident that Alston is getting used to it at a far slower rate than James.

Swift is just asked to get a few garbage baskets and rebound the ball. Right now, he's still thinking of dunking every time and I noticed once again last night that any time he would get the ball within 5 feet, he would try the dunk, maybe change to a floater when he's coming down which doesn't go in. Juwan Howard was in a similar situation at the beginning of last season but he was able to merge with the offense almost immediately. Compare Swift to Howard, and it's evident once again that Swift is much slower.

And also, I'd appreciate it if you'll find me the McGrady quote.

11. Egyptian

Egyptian JBB JustBBall Member

I haven't given up on stro yet! I think he needs more time in the system and to quit trying so hard. He's never been in a position where the media said he was "Just what the Rockets need to win a championship!" before.

From watching him play it just looks like he's trying way to hard, trying to do too much. He needs to relax, catch it in the low post and dunk it or lay it up. he doesan't need to dribble, or anything. just catch and dunk/layup

12. tr@cy&ya0

i don't think the power foward is the main problem in this team... against us its been the guards that are quick enough to go past our guards and get yao in foul trouble.... even though it would have been good if we had a power foward that can shoot 3s...but.. i think we need to give away alston cause other people have less minutes since he can play 30-48 minutes....

Rockets Trade:
    ryan bowen
    alston

Some other team trade:
    a small foward that can play defense (not artest, maybe like cuttino mobley or something)

and the only reason we trade ryan bowen is because the other team might want a husler..

13. Trip

Student
    Mobley is a shooting guard, and nothing else at just 6-4. If Bowen were traded, it would be as more of a fill-in than someone teams would actually want. He is great for a 10th to 12th man, but definitely isn't starter material. His defense is appealing to Van Gundy, but under any other coach he'll warm the bench.

A small forward that's like who you're thinking of may be someone like Matt Barnes. Low maintanence who won't take a lot of shots but can't be left alone on offense. Why the Rockets didn't pick up Barnes when it was possible confounded me, but maybe Stephen Graham can just be what you're picturing.

14. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

i doubt the clips would let mobley go especially after their good start, don't mess with a good thing.

15. tr@cy&ya0

there are some rumors that nets are trying to get stromile swift for jackson and a first round pick.. BUT ROCKETS ARE NOT INTERESTED....

i'm pretty glad the;re not interested.... cause swift is finaly getting on the offense

16. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Peter Vecsey in the NY Post said Rockets are one of 5 teams that have a shot at getting Artest ...

17. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">

And also, I'd appreciate it if you'll find me the McGrady quote.</div>

Locke, it was said in one of his statements while talking to the media when I was working there...but it's nothing that was printed, I just know he did in fact say that...i guess you'll just have to take my word for it...

18. Egyptian

Egyptian JBB JustBBall Member

I honestly remember T-Mac saying that he didn't get the system til late and he wasn't comfortable til late either...

19. Rotdohy

Rotdohy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Peter Vecsey in the NY Post said Rockets are one of 5 teams that have a shot at getting Artest ...</div>

I don't think we'll be able to get Artest. First of all, either Artest or McGrady will have to move from SF. Also, who are we going to offer for Artest? Really, no one.

20. tr@cy&ya0

we seriously need a sf that can shoot.... they double team yao and tracy all the time and have one men on every other guy except for BOWEN... 2 for 11... i'm tired of him to shoot. i wish he jstu don't shoot it and go for a layup or something.... think about it.... if we can get artest without tradfing tracy and yao that might be fine... lets say we trade rafer, bowen, and 2 future 2nd round picks for artest... i think we would move artest to the shooting guard position cause thats where our defense lack: guards

so our lineup:

David Wesley/ Luther Head
    Artest/ Anderson / Jon Barry
    Tracy/ Jon Barry
    Howard/ Swift
    Yao/ Mutombo

that is until sura comes back.. he would start at point and wesley would be back up point... i know our point guard is probaly our worst position, but our other position is fine...