Rockets still shopping

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by bplld, Sep 24, 2005.

1. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Did you hear about Bob Sura? The Rockets are worried enough about his recovery from knee surgery that they're hoping to sign a free-agent point guard or two before the start of camp.

If Sura can't go, Mike James probably would be the starter. The Rockets can get by with him because so much of the offense goes through Tracy McGrady, but they'd like to have a prototypical point to run the show.</div>

Source

Cant be good, but i think mike james will do fine. It would give HEad some playing time too.

2. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

I would HATE to see Sura go [​IMG] but if we got somebody as tough, then I could try to understand. Mike James would probably be the man out, but it would have to be somebody as quick. Mike James lost big points for getting kicked out of game 7 last year. [​IMG]

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    That would explain why we're looking so intensively at Jay Williams. The problem is, there aren't many options left on the market who could start at point guard, but I guess it will all depend on who we invite into training camp. I do share the concern, because Sura is the only stable presence on the ball we have, except for maybe Ward, but his health and ability to contribute is a concern as well.

4. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

read about this somewhere else last night....I hate to say this, but this might be the end of Sura.

5. Trip

Student
    Well, I don't think that the team is looking to trade Sura. The main worry is that he won't be 100% for the whole season and might miss 20 games. The article isn't suggesting that Sura won't be with the team, but rather that we would have someone else just as insurance. As I said before though, there aren't a lot of quality point guards who would even be any better than Norris. Also, we can only sign guys for the minimum, so unless we pull a trade, we might enter the season with James starting.

6. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

I do not want to lose James....dude is too big of a spark plug off the bench.

7. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

No way that J-Will could run an offense if hecame in. Not if the report on his rockets work out is true.

Maybe this is some sort of blessing in diguise where Head becomes a starter and wins ROY. Okay maybe I'm dreaming a bit.

8. viertelasiat

viertelasiat JBB JustBBall Member

what free agent pgs are left??

9. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">what free agent pgs are left??</div>
    Not any that are starting material.

This is a pretty big blow to us. I actually expected Sura to come back this season in better condition than last year, but now, everythings so unexpected. I guess for the beginning of the season we'll be in a similar situation that we were in last year until everything comes back together. In a way, Sura was our leader and was a big team chemistry booster. With that said, there aren't too much players on the free agent market that are too much value to us, since they really aren't that much better than Ward or Norris. I have a feeling Wesley and some of those expiring contracts will be going out the door soon. We already have some insurance at shooting guard with Barry and Head going behind Anderson so Wesley is pretty much expendable. Only problem is, we don't really know what we can get with them.

10. KfrumHTOWN!

KfrumHTOWN! JBB JustBBall Member

The only pg i think is worth anything is dan dickau. But he isn't exactly wat we need. I don't know about his defense. but he can score and pass. He is young too, i don't know if this is good or bad because if we are looking for a quick sub for sura, Dickau doesn't have the experience and mental toughness. He is a gamble that can be worth it though.

11. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The only pg i think is worth anything is dan dickau. But he isn't exactly wat we need. I don't know about his defense. but he can score and pass. He is young too, i don't know if this is good or bad because if we are looking for a quick sub for sura, Dickau doesn't have the experience and mental toughness. He is a gamble that can be worth it though.</div>
    He's with Boston now. No longer a free agent. And since he just signed with them, we really can't trade for him.

12. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

Damn!!! Gary Payton would have been perfect. Should have given him a better look

13. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

^yea, too late though. The rockets have 2 more gaurds this season, so i can see them getting through this. DA can start at the 1, with James and Head backing him up. Tmac runs most of the offense anyways. At the 2, start wesley and back him up with james and barry. DA will backup tmac along with bowen.

14. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting viertelasiat:</div><div class="quote_post">what free agent pgs are left??</div>
    Dan Dickau, Travis Best, Luis Flores, Pargo (he is restricted, maybe even resigned by now) are the only half decent ones. Maybe we could still get Spree and move DA to the point.

15. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bplld:</div><div class="quote_post">^yea, too late though. The rockets have 2 more gaurds this season, so i can see them getting through this. DA can start at the 1, with James and Head backing him up. Tmac runs most of the offense anyways. At the 2, start wesley and back him up with james and barry. DA will backup tmac along with bowen.</div>
    I like DA at the point, and then I don't like it. If he's playin the point, who's play shooting guard. I really really don't want Wesley starting.

DA
    ????
    Tmac
    Swift/ Howard
    Yao

16. tr@cy&ya0

tr@cy&ya0 JBB JustBBall Member

i hope that sura doesn't go out, i'm pretty sure the rockets won't trade sura

17. Trip

Student
    DA is no more of a point guard than Wesley or James are. He has been a shooting guard all his career, and does not really have the courtvision to cut it at point guard. Just because he can bring the ball upcourt and not get stripped doesn't mean he can start at the point guard. He's also slower than the point guards in the west and wouldn't be much better than Sura defensively.

If anything, I'd start Wesley. He has played point guard before and has done a good job, plus his lateral quickness and balance would make him a better option on defense to guard point guards.

18. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I cringe at seeing James being mentioned as a starter, particularly at point guard...I think hes definitely more suited as a backup...however, we cant sign Best since he's playing overseas...Dickau's SUPPOSED to sign with Boston, but because of the whole Katrina deal in New orleans, they're holding off first...so nothing is official...this would mean that jay williams is a definite possibility...with sura out, I would throw out there a lineup of Anderson, Wesley, McGrady, Swift, and Yao...then have James and Barry playing the backup guard minutes, with Jay playing spot third guard minutes...

either way, we shouldve prepared for this earlier because we let Payton, Steve Blake, or even Anthony Carter...I wish Ward was healthy and could contribute in any way because I think he'd make a decent starter, playing 15-20 minutes but I havent heard anything on his status...

19. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Is anyone here in favor of bringing back Andre Barrett? When he was with us, he was a streaky shooter but also a developing playmaker and slasher. I'm not sure where he stands in terms of beings signed or whether he's still a free agent but I'd definitely take him over Jay Williams. Barrett doesn't have as much baggage attached and already knows Van Gundy's system. I'm all for us giving him the minimum if he would take it. He's not starting material but combined with James, Anderson, and Head, I think he'll be fine for the time being.

20. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">Is anyone here in favor of bringing back Andre Barrett? When he was with us, he was a streaky shooter but also a developing playmaker and slasher. I'm not sure where he stands in terms of beings signed or whether he's still a free agent but I'd definitely take him over Jay Williams. Barrett doesn't have as much baggage attached and already knows Van Gundy's system. I'm all for us giving him the minimum if he would take it. He's not starting material but combined with James, Anderson, and Head, I think he'll be fine for the time being.</div>
    Jeff Van Gundy likes him...........but I think we need a veteran guard this year. Too many weapons on the team, we need somebody with size, and leadership. Barrett's cool, he's a gritty point guard, but I think we need somebody thats in favor of Sura. What about Dion Glover? 6'5, quick, and smart with the ball. Don't know if he can run a team though.

If Charlie Ward plays another game in a Rockets uniform, I'm going to protest outside the Toyota center. [​IMG]. JVG should have never got this guy, and he shouldn't even be in the league. Slow, injury prone, and no stamina. The Rockets record with Ward starting was HORRIBLE, and it would have been worse if Sura hadn't comeback early.