Game Thread SEEDING GAME# 4: BLAZERS @ NUGGETS - AUGUST 6, 2020 - THURSDAY, 5:00, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Aug 4, 2020.

?

Which team will the Blazers be fighting with for the 8th Seed in the Play-In Tournament?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2020.
  1. Grizzlies

20.8%
  2. Kings

2.1%
  3. Pelicans

43.8%
  4. Spurs

18.8%
  5. Suns

6.3%
  6. Nobody because the Blazers will have the 8th Seed and be 4 games ahead by season's end

6.3%
  7. Nobody because the Blazers won't qualify for the Play-in.

2.1%
  1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that's not a problem because while other have been hoarding toilet paper, I've focused on internal alcohol

kjironman1 and Shaboid like this.
  2. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

In your opinion what kind of special are you thinking?

3. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

How is he not efficient? He’s a career 46% percent shooter from 2 and 40% from 3. Are u kidding me? And this is on tons I mean TONS of attempts. Man I feel so bad for CJ this fanbase is constantly hating on this dude. Not to mention CJ is always better in the playoffs than the regular season.

4. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

There a lot of youiyou down on Zach but remember he is the 5th option in the offense so what we get from him is gravey. You guys is comparing him to players that is big part of there offense and Zach not going be that guy. Defensely I think he was better his first 3 games of the season but that going through a whole training camp. But he has done some good job on D inside the bubble but just not quite there where he was in last year playoffs that's Zach we need but believe he will get there. The thing I am liken is rebounding is coming up he had 9 last game and 7 against Houston.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  5. wizenheimer

I have a different view of efficiency than you because I think gauging players by raw shooting percentages is dumb

CJ's TS% this season is .544 and his career mark is .551, but that is skewed because he had a career year in 2016-17, 4 years ago.

The NBA average TS is around 55%. And if CJ was efficient you wouldn't see this team ranking in TS%:

Trevor Ariza .643
    Hassan Whiteside .639
    Rodney Hood .625
    Damian Lillard .620
    Skal Labissière .588
    Gary Trent .587
    Jusuf Nurkić .575
    Zach Collins .555
    CJ McCollum .544
    Mario Hezonja .534
    Carmelo Anthony .519

you also have eFG%:

Hassan Whiteside .620
    Rodney Hood .608
    Trevor Ariza .597
    Gary Trent .571
    Skal Labissière .561
    Damian Lillard .556
    Zach Collins .533
    CJ McCollum .526

then there is points/shot:

Whiteside 1.47
    Dame 1.45
    Ariza 1.45
    Hood 1.34
    Trent 1.23
    CJ 1.15

As a team, Portland scores 1.26 points/shot while CJ scores 1.15

that not efficient shooting; it's just volume shooting.

Like it or not, an important component of efficiency is converting from the FT line. CJ tends to shoot better FG percentages than Dame, but Dame crushes CJ in efficiency because he converts whistles to points. That has always been CJ's glaring weakness.

so far, in the bubble, CJ has taken 71 shots and made only 6 FT's on 8 FT's. That's a .112 FT Rate. By contrast, Dame has 82 shots and 35 FTA's. That's a .427 FT rate. And the FT rates for Portland this season:

Damian Lillard .380
    Jusuf Nurkić .364
    Hassan Whiteside .333
    Trevor Ariza .296
    Nassir Little .291
    Mario Hezonja .281
    Skal Labissière .224
    Kent Bazemore .221
    Carmelo Anthony .203
    Zach Collins .174
    Anfernee Simons .173
    Anthony Tolliver .162
    Rodney Hood .157
    CJ McCollum .134
    Gary Trent .109

all of this wouldn't matter much if CJ was a catch-n-shoot player (like Trent or Klay) who didn't dominate and stop the ball. That's actually they type of offense where CJ is efficient. But that's not the type of offense that CJ runs. He dribbles a ton while burning thru shot clock and possessions. He scores fewer points per shot than his team. The ability to 'create his own offense' is only a positive when he can do so at an efficient level....similar or close to Dame's level; but CJ just can't do it.

6. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

There is a lot of truth in what you say - but there are some mitigating factors. CJ is a release valve - often when the offense bogs down it comes to CJ trying to bail the Blazers out by creating offense by himself. This was especially true this year without Nurk which is really a fulcrum of the Blazer's offense. So, my opinion is that CJ's TS% is deceptive - a lot of it comes from the role CJ has to play in the offense.

7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Gin if he likes the company of females.

8. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

My girlfriend doesn't like gin, so I supply her with all the wine that is needed.

kjironman1 and GoBlazersGo like this.
  9. wizenheimer

CJ is not any more of a release valve than Dame and Dame's TS% is a lot better than CJ's

here is a comparison between Blazers for the percentages of shots they take in the last 9 seconds of the shot clock vs TS%:

Dame .620 TS%:

upload_2020-8-7_10-55-25.png

CJ .544 TS%:

upload_2020-8-7_10-56-25.png

Hood .625 TS%:

upload_2020-8-7_10-57-54.png

Gary Trent .587 TS%:

upload_2020-8-7_11-1-26.png

those screens are from 82 games. Unfortunately, they use eFG% which is a poor gauge IMO because it doesn't account for FT's

In any event, CJ attempts a lower percentage of his shots in the last 9 seconds and at crunch time than those other 4 players. He has a much higher assisted FG rate than Dame, so again, if anybody is a 'go-find-your-own-shot' release valve it's Dame. I do not believe 'release valve' ia any better argument for CJ's game than create-his-own offense. They both seem to be arguments excusing weak efficiency

now, if you're arguing that CJ is misused in Portland's offense, I agree, and that has been my complaint all along. CJ has a 36% assisted FG rate and that number should be closer to 70% than under 40%. Simply, he's not nearly as good with the ball in his hands dribbling around as many believe.

Darkwebs and oldmangrouch like this.
  10. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Zach upside doesn't look nearly as good as Porter Jr or Jackson. Id put his upside above what Meyers or Harkless ever had. Meyers never had the tools to be a 2 way player.

You might be right that Zach never realizes much of his potential. The Blazers shouldn't give him a huge contract like they did with Meyers. But they shouldn't give up on his development early as they did with Will Barton and decades ago Jermaine.

In the next few weeks there is a role and opportunity for Zach. But hes on a short leash and against certain lineups he might get few minutes rightly so. Against other matchups or when he plays well as in last years playoffs the team should let him play.

Eastoff likes this.
  11. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I think we mostly agree, I did not argue that CJ is better than Dame because he is not. I am just saying that CJ's TS% are somewhat misleading - he is not as bad as his TS% indicates - this does not negate the fact that Dame is much better than him.

wizenheimer likes this.
  12. wizenheimer

that's fair...since I'm a stathead I was just trying to gauge statistically what a release valve was. Might not have been a good way

13. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I thinl that last point will have to be addressed.... but not before the 2021-22 season.

14. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I love all of your stats but I do think CJ is a really gifted scorer from all over the court, not just a spot up shooter. I think he could be a great third option scorer that does get his own shot at times or even a good second option scorer if your first option was a guy like Giannis or the Brow but CJ would need to be surrounded by elite defenders because he is a really poor defender. That's where you get into the problem area. Dame is one of the top 5 offensive threats in the game right now he needs a great defender with him on the perimeter and another plus defender, we can't win if he has a poor defender out there with him because Dame is a little above average as a defender. I think CJ could be a really valuable asset to a team that utilized him correctly on offense, could give him the help he needs on D and held him accountable on both. That's not this team.

15. blazerkor

Yeah, length and athleticism have nothing to do with being an effective defender, it's all about aggression. When you look at elite defenders and defensive teams you see a lot more than just aggression, a lot more.

16. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Bravo! Add in his iffy defense and cross reference with his salary and he simply isn't the stud some people believe him to be.

blazerkor and tester551 like this.
  17. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Nobody said anything about Athleticism and length not playing a part. ----- Excuse me i have Hassan Whiteside on line one.

blazerkor likes this.
  18. blazerkor

OK, you need all three and I only see half of one out of CJ... CJ is a sometimer on effort and doesn't have the other two, dude could be a lot more intense on that end of the court... a lot. Don't get me wrong he still would probably not be a plus defender but it wouldn't hurt if he was our hardest working defender.

kjironman1 likes this.
  19. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Porter was considered one of, if not the top prospect for his age group and only fell in the draft due to a serious back issue that kept him out for a season. He was a steal at 14. Jackson was also drafted top 4 so it really shouldn't be a surprise that they are both more refined.

20. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Let me throw this is then. Add in his prolific ball handling, excellent ability to score and his compatibility with Lillard, he simply is a much bigger stud than people give him credit for, but then again, this is a GAME THREAD, not a bash McCollum thread as there are those threads that you guys should be responding in.

WHERE ARE THE MODS TO KEEP A THREAD ON TOPIC?

@SlyPokerDog , @Chris Craig or any other mod