The off-season begins. Discuss.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I do agree with this. I just feel he's at the end of his rope. I still think it's an ultimatum, and Joe either puts up or shuts up. It's a really weird time right now.

blazerkor likes this.
  2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Dame wants a trade for a second star. He doesn't want Wemby or more rookies. He wants veteran role players over young players. I'm not sure if it's realistic.

For one, there aren't a lot of teams out there willing to trade their stars. The Blazers might be able to get KAT or Joel Embiid if they get a high pick/ and or give enough future picks. The Blazers aren't getting Giannis, Joker, or anyone stars from Boston very likely.

Secondly, do the Blazers really have a package to interest a team enough to trade their star player? Anfernee and Nurkic aren't that hot of a commodity let alone palpable in a deal for a star. Where the Blazers land in the lottery/whether they give Chicago the NYK pick to open future picks will dictate who they can get and for what package.

Teams are going to want Shaedon Sharpe. Joe would be a fool to trade him. But, Dame wants established stars. He says there are players he wants to play with who wants to come here. I'd like to know who. I don't see players coming here. I see them interested in other teams.

Cronin doesn't have a great hand to work with. He has a two pair and Dame wants a royal flush. Cronin's relationship with other GM's has been giving players for virtually free and taking scraps. But, he's supposed to be a home run.

If he doesn't, does Dame ask out? Is this the last chance to make Dame happy? I don't want to trade Dame and miss the playoffs for the next decade and a half like the Kings did. At the same time, is it worth leveraging the future by going all in for a second star?

AngryFan and Strenuus like this.
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Trading Sharpe and signing Grant to a huge contract would be the biggest mistakes this team has made in a long time.

4. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I hope we do not trade future picks for a dumb win now move, without a clear chance to win the title

5. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The Blazers should trade Simons for Lauri Markkanen, who is a major PF talent who shoots and plays defense for a much lower salary cost than Siakim or other alternatives. Ask the Jazz. They may do it with Lauri off to Finland to fulfill his military obligation.

If Joe can't get a deal with the Jazz, explore what it would take to get Giannis on this team with Dame. With either Lauri or Giannis on the team, the Blazers are set to be contenders for the NBA Championship next year!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    riverman likes this.
  6. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I like Simons, too, and don't want to see him traded, necessarily, but why does it matter if he's "open to leaving"?

NBA players under contract can't dictate where they're gonna go except in exceptional circumstances. It's not up to him if he's traded or not. It's not up to him if he starts. He's under contract with the team and has to do what they want or retire.

7. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

even if we don't get the first pick, i'm really hesitant to trade a high lottery pick, sorry Dame.

1 Eye Jack, AngryFan and Samuel like this.
  8. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

Cronin got leveraged when he was trying to get under the tax line. He’s going to love having sharpe used against him.

9. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

“so listen—dame. We’ve shopped the pick but we’re not getting a ton of action that makes any future sense for the team.

we do have an interesting proposal for you though. What do we think about Tobias Harris?”

Chris Craig and AngryFan like this.
  10. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

5 lottery simulator picks this morning

7,7,7,1,7 reset every time.

11. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Even a “home run” trade would result in us on the treadmill.

Natebishop3 and AngryFan like this.
  12. AngryFan

AngryFan Active Member

This is the truth. We have zero chance at building a contender on Dame's timeline unless the incoming player is better than him. That is just not going to happen for Simons, Nurkic and a pile of future picks.

TBpup likes this.
  13. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

No chance in hell Utah considers that trade, Ainge laughs then hangs up

UKRAINEFAN and AngryFan like this.
  14. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    This is the problem. It's really difficult to envision who is a realistic target for Blazers. Would have to be a really good player who demands a trade from a struggling team that wants to rebuild with draft picks.. I can't think of who that would be. Can anyone else?

15. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    You're dreaming....

16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

When you let other GM's walk all over you, that's all they are going to see. They aren't going to respect you and they sure as hell won't owe you a favor.

17. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    I think after the lottery drawing Dame will ask out. And I don’t fault him for it. What are the odds Joe can get two stars and then Billups can coach em? Most likely scenario is the pick BPA and he needs work and will come off the bench and no deals for Nurk and Ant.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  18. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This was the excuse people made for Joe last year when people realized how badly he lost every negotiation.

When do we all stop making excuses for the guy and just admit he's not a very good GM?

Like 25 of the 30 front offices have pressure to save $. This should not be a crutch.

SharpesTriumph, TBpup and Natebishop3 like this.
  19. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

I think you mean, “Dame implying.”

20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I agree with you but how many owners in the NBA inherited the team and have no clue about business or running an organization? Jody is a giant anchor and I don’t think it makes Joe's job any easier.