THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY vs oregon ducks

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tlongII, Sep 2, 2021.

1. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Completely disagree.

Going to a university is a sense of accomplishment and like it is your home. I spent 4 and a half years in Corvallis and love that city. An ultimate college town. I am so much more attached to OSU than the blazers.

I can count on my hand how many beavers fans i have met that didn't go there.

You're being disingenuous if you think many Ducks fans didn't go there.

Eastoff likes this.
  2. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Right - he needs to hire high level coordinators and I’m not sure he can do it. He coaches like the O lineman he is. He recruits studs all over, game comes, and you wouldn’t know. Even if it’s only been two years of these high level recruits there are guys in the NFL from Oregon and it was the same. If I was a WR I wouldn’t come here. Maybe Thompson the QB changes that.

Phatguysrule and Tince like this.
  3. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Totally fair to disagree. Unfair for you to pretend to know that I'm not being sincere because it doesn't match your beliefs.

If you reread what I said "the majority of Oregon and Oregon St fans I know did not graduate from those schools". I did not claim that I think most Duck fans went to the University of Oregon nor did my post imply that. I'm also not stating that as a general fact because I do not have data to back that up. If you have data to back up this claim as a whole, I would love to see it and use it in the future (whatever the outcome may be). Us saying what's true in our small bubble is probably not the best way to come to a global conclusion.

Also of note, I don't think we share the same emotional attachment to our degree or homes. I think it's awesome if you feel a great amount of pride towards those things though.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    TBpup likes this.
  4. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Good conversation. I don't want to keep dragging this on in this post though. Good luck to whatever Ducks fans there are. I just won't be rooting for them.

Tince likes this.
  5. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Likewise. Apprciate the different perspectives.

If you do ever come across any data about fan bases and their graduation rate to said school, I would be genuinely interested in seeing it.

6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

1. There are lots of people who love both the Ducks and the Beavers, myself included. This state is so sports starved I don't see how people can't be.

2. I remember as a kid multiple columns from Dwight Jaynes about how both the Ducks and Beavers should leave the Pac 10 because they can't compete. Dwight is an idiot.

3. Ralph Miller was the greatest coach in the state of Oregon.

4. I went to Oregon so the Ducks are my greatest love between the two but I'm always cheering for the Beavers.

5. Trash talk between fans of both programs is fun.

Titan, Fairly-Hard, TBpup and 2 others like this.
  7. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Yes. They need to figure this out.

8. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I grew up in Portland, and i cheer for both. I use to root for whoever had a chance to go to a better bowl game, to win the Civil War game. Over the years i have become more of a Duck fan due to their excelling in the Pac-12. Once my daughter went there, nd i moved to Springfield, that only increased my fandom for the Ducks Football Team. But i still root for the Beavs, and was very disapointed by their failure to beat Purdue, in a game that had Nolan played the whole game, maybe they win. Noyer had a scatter gun, and looked unpoised. I'm hoping that Brown Jr. plays great, and the Ducks win, but if he struggles like Noyer did, i hope Coach Cristobal pulls him and lets Thompson get some time vs. the Buckeyes. Thompson has all the skillset that Stroud has. Maybe more. I know it's hard to be patient. Cristobal is closing in building a top ranked program. Go Ducks, and Go Beavs! Hawaii won't be a pushover. If Noyer plays, he better bring some accuracy.

Titan, TBpup, Tince and 1 other person like this.
  9. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I didn’t go to either school but I’m an Oregonian and a huge sports fan in general. My dad was a Duck fan since I can remember. I recall watching the Ducks in 94’ with Graziani/O’Neill against Kerry Collins in the Rose Bowl at a party with my parents friends. I remember McLemore and Saladagh McCollough.

I gradually became a Duck fan more and more over the Belotti era. Then a kid I grew up with and played ball with became a starting O lineman for them his sophomore year and I became hooked.

I would like nothing more than for the Ducks to win tomorrow. But with Christobal’s conservative, let’s win this game in the trenches mentality I don’t think it’s going to happen or be close..

Also, I don’t think very highly of Anthony Brown. I hope he proves me wrong. But I’d rather throw Ty Thompson to the Wolves and get him some big game experience then run the conservative shit with Brown.

We got playmakers on offense. Get them I. The open field and make some fucking plays!

10. MickZagger

UPS
    That being said if The Beavers we’re playing Ohio State I’d be rooting them. Easily.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Phatguysrule and SlyPokerDog like this.
  11. MickZagger

UPS
    Moorhead many thought was an elite coordinator. But the offense looks the exact same as it did with Arroyo.

Shit, Herbert looks like the next great NFL QB but he looked a little above average at Oregon because they played stupid with him.

He needs to recruit and let his coordinators do their job. The line of scrimmage game he wants to win is awesome. But even SEC schools who have NFL starters on their lines play a little more ballsy offensively than the Ducks have under Christobal

Titan, calvin natt and TBpup like this.
  12. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Tons of film on Moorhead doing very creative things at his last 3 stops, which leads me to believe MC's finger prints are still all over the offense.

13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I fear this won't be pretty... but hope for the best.

14. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    0-0. The Ducks are keeping it close so far!

SlyPokerDog and Fairly-Hard like this.
  15. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Trust me I regretted it immediately upon opening it. Usually, I avoid them but I was bored last night.
    As for Oregon's 5*s, if KTs and Flowe are unable to go, the Ducks will have zero consensus 5*s on the field against tOsu.

This whole 5* thing is a bit overblown. Otherways to get talent than just recruiting especially with the new transfer portal rules.
    5 (and now 6-year) 3* seniors can be just as good (if not better) than young 4 and 5 * players. Especially on the line when guys hit the weights for several years.

16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I don't know what the 5* thing is, but there is certainly a strong correlation between recruiting success and success on the field. Does is mean every 5* will be a 1st round pick or no 3* can make it to the NFL? No.

17. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Well-Known Member

This game is a blowout.
    My feeling is it will be over by the half.
    End score 42-14 Ohio State

Yes i am a Beaver fan but yes i pull for the Ducks and will today. If the Ducks could actually make a game of this it would help the Pac-12 conference greatly. They don't even have to win it. Just stay in the game.

When fans are hoping the team can at least stay in the game obviously it's not a good sign. Who among you actually think the Ducks will run away with a huge victory? The best you read or hear is a very close game.
    Most see this as a lop sided victory for the Buckeyes.

18. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Well-Known Member

Still a close game!

19. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

20. Hoopguru

Hoopguru spent money on booze broads boats wasted rest

Oregon's D will be key. Bucks gave up over 400 yards to Gophers, and only scored 1 rushing TD, so if Oregon can score it could be a close game. We will need to sling it down field.
    Ducks 34
    OSU 31

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Fairly-Hard likes this.