Time for Chauncey to go

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

We had coaches prior to Stotts. In the past, we've changed coaches without the ability to identify and obtain a better replacement. Do you want me to break down some of the other instances of this prior to Stotts? Or do you want to keep inserting Stotts into this convo?

Sometimes you identify a pattern from past mistakes to predict the likelihood of success of future moves. Nothing is certain.

Whyachi likes this.
  2. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

I think the Blazers are the only professional sports team that endeavors in personally insulting fans who criticize the players and management. THAT'S WHAT FANS DO. It's called being emotionally attached to your favorite team. Swing over to a Knicks blog after a bad NYC outing. It's freaking hilarious how engaged the fans are.

It's always been more polite to rip on Coaching and management, then to go after players after a tough game. --- Bring up bad coaching or trades in Portland... geesh, how dare you!! You are just a fan, you are dumb. This Blazers organization runs like a clock, perfectly synchronized. -- Bring up a bad player performance... that's easy, the dig "go root for a different team if you don't like these Blazers" has been used for years in Portland.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    not sure she would be any better in the same situation Chauncey is in.

4. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    how do you know Billups doesn't have the best plan, but it was derailed by injuries?

STOMP likes this.
  5. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Any other coach…And i mean ANY other coach…. simply would not have allowed that to happen.

Off with Chaunceys head!

Clearly Sharpe isnt developing. Cleary Chauncey has been given a fair shake the last two years(tank,tank)
    Clearly he didn't foresee the injuries piling up and having to insert gleague players as rotation players. But dammit. He shoulda had a plan for all this!!! We should see this plan in action on the court!!!

BassPlaya likes this.
  6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

After tonight's game, I predict it will be time for Chauncey to go.... back to Portland.

Then it will be time for him to go... to Milwaukee.

Eastoff, STOMP, Tince and 1 other person like this.
  7. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    I predict after the game you go back to your doghouse!

8. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Because it looked a lot like his plan last season when we were going to miss the playoffs before initiating the tank.

I don't know it's the case, but it looks like the case... And if it looks like a duck..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  9. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    I don't see how anyone can think they know what they are seeing, considering the roster turnover and the injuries.

Tince likes this.
  10. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'm not interested in how good of a coach Billups is with a G-League roster.

I'd like to know how good of a coach he can be with a contending roster.

Whyachi likes this.
  11. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Nine more losses and out he goes.

Whyachi likes this.
  12. Whyachi

we shouldn't evaluate Billups until the Blazers get really super good again. That's some serious job security. What if 5 years pass, and the 2028 Trail Blazers are still rebuilding, still losing for new rookies? Heck, we can't say nuthin negative about the coaching staff. Portland hasn't put the guys around Chauncey to compete at the highest level.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  13. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

We can evaluate the entire time. I said "I'd LIKE to know how good of a coach he can be with a contending roster". I doubt I'll get my wish. Once we move off Billups near the end of his contract, I hope we're in a better position to identify and obtain a high quality coach. In the meantime, the organization will need to build a roster and operating in a way that would attract such a candidate.

Whyachi likes this.
  14. Whyachi

maybe Chauncey has another relative in the on deck circle? ~Lacey Billups has tremendous technical application in theoretic basketball. She's going to help the Blazers score buckets in bunches.

15. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

"We" can evaluate stuff from sunrise to sunset but our discussions have absolutely nothing to do with whether a coach actually gets fired/extended... thank goodness. We're just talking, those in charge aren't listening nor should they be. They should be already so preoccupied paying attention to actual goings on which undoubtedly includes many important contextual details that we aren't privy to.

Not singling out you Whyachi just a statement of things in general, but I find the constant calling for the coach's head over the 20+ years I've been in this online Blazer community to be pretty silly. So much of those jobs happens outside our purview I prefer to stick to my lane and judge the talent as thats what I can observe. This Blazer team's focus should be on developing talent not winning the next game as they are a long ways away talent wise. I've expected this season to be a painful watch but am happy they're on a path to potentially competing again for the first time in over a decade. If all goes well this year is the planned on low point in their development as their talent is very young.

STOMP

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    e_blazer and Whyachi like this.
  16. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    When does Ant return?

let Scoot get some G-league time, let’s get Ant back playing and perhaps we look at trading Grant after December 15th as well as Thybulle. Get more picks and vet expiring contracts.

start to position the roster for Summer additions

17. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

probably round Christmas, +/- a week. Surgery was on his shooting hand and usually that takes a little longer for full recovery

BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that Taylor Jenkins could be on the hot seat. Any interest there?

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Except we literally don't swap them out. The only times we've swapped full time coaches in the last 18 years involved Terry Stotts. So giving the board crap for wanting to swap coaches makes no sense to me.

20. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

You think because Pritchard or Canales were stop gap coaches until a full time coach was hired, that we didn't go from Dunleavy to Cheeks, or Nate to Stotts, and that those exchanges can't evaluated? I guess that explains why this doesn't make sense to you.

I wasn't talking about Stotts specifically, so no matter how badly you want it to be the case, you're flat out wrong, again.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023