UFL eyes Portland for 2011 expansion

Discussion in 'Other American Football' started by truebluefan, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. truebluefan

    truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Messages:
    212,768
    Likes Received:
    821
    Trophy Points:
    113
    The United Football League is seeking local investors for a franchise that would begin kick off at PGE Park in fall 2011 —more than 2 1/2 decades after the United States Football League’s Portland Breakers played their only season at the stadium.

    UFL officials, led by Chief Operating Officer Bill Peterson, came to Portland last week and met with Mayor Sam Adams and business leaders, including Mike Golub, chief operating officer for the Portland Timbers. About a month ago, UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue visited the city, and more talks are in the works.

    “We’re very excited about the initial reaction,” Peterson says, “but there’s still a lot of work to do.”

    That includes finding a local owner or group likely to need $20 million or more for 50 percent of a franchise. The league would own the other 50 percent, Peterson says.

    http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=127793249485449300
     

Share This Page