Wallace set to take physical Thursday

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by nikebasketball, Feb 12, 2004.

1. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

2. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

Funny you post that, because the other day my bro was telling me that contracts are only valid pending the physical. If Sheed was to "fail" it.........

3. nikebasketball

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">Funny you post that, because the other day my bro was telling me that contracts are only valid pending the physical. If Sheed was to "fail" it.........</div>

Yeah I hope that when Sheed and Damon were hanging out at Damon's house that they did'nt smoke a little of the illegal substance for old times sake.

I'm sure that Sheed's smarter then to do that.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">Funny you post that, because the other day my bro was telling me that contracts are only valid pending the physical. If Sheed was to "fail" it.........</div>

That is true yes, however players rarely fail their physical. Only time I remember that happening was when Mateen Cleaves got traded to Cleveland only for the deal to be cancelled because he failed his.

5. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">That is true yes, however players rarely fail their physical. Only time I remember that happening was when Mateen Cleaves got traded to Cleveland only for the deal to be cancelled because he failed his.</div>

yea...it also happend when alvin williams was almost traded to boston for danny fortson. alvin failed the physical, and the deal was voided

6. Anzix

Anzix JBB JustBBall Member

haha everyone say this "Welcome back Sheed, We have missed you!!!!" :-)

7. CANT STOP ME

CANT STOP ME JBB Probationary User

hope he cleaned his system before he gets his physical. if you know what i mean.

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Anzix:</div><div class="quote_post">haha everyone say this "Welcome back Sheed, We have missed you!!!!" :-)</div>

I know Rasheed is your favourite player but your team would be in a worse state without this trade.

9. CANT STOP ME

CANT STOP ME JBB Probationary User

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">I know Rasheed is your favourite player but your team would be in a worse state without this trade.</div>

LMAO, way to rain on his parade.

10. Anzix

Anzix JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">I know Rasheed is your favourite player but your team would be in a worse state without this trade.</div>

Well when Wallace was here we were on a 3 game winning streak... yay now a 2 game losing streak.

Players on this team are used to seeing Rasheed and making a trade when a team is on a winning streak is dumb and everyone knows it. 7 1/2 seasons with Rasheed... is enough time to build chemistry and when you take a key player out of something that has been around for 7 years there is bound to be a lack of chemistry and sometimes chemistry and be built in a matter of games or in a matter of weeks. I for one think this will be a matter of weeks. If you look at the trade for Darius he fit right in there was no questions that needed to be asked. As a Portland resident & Trail Blazer fan I know what I want to see in the team. Maybe you should listen to what Pipen said... There is something wrong with management when there is only 1 player left from when the team went to the western conference finals. I'm not trying to start a huge argument or anything but you cannot say the team would be any worse. Sure Sheed's attitude was not likeable on the court but recently there have been articles written in the Oregonian talking about how they miss Rasheed and his work ethic and how he has never missed a practice. He had undeniable talent and I know for a fact could beat shreef 1vs1. He was an asset to this team and now he is gone and I will have to get over it but people that say the team was worse with him on it is wrong and just really makes me mad.

11. Trail_Blazer76

You really don't know what you are talking about do you? WITH Sheed we had won 7 of 8, and we gelling perfectly. Then we trade him and immeadiately lose two games (one of them was to the Jazz). We are falling farther behind Utah, and Seattle is back up there with us (they won today).

How would we be in a worse state?

12. ANiMuS

ANiMuS JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">You really don't know what you are talking about do you? WITH Sheed we had won 7 of 8, and we gelling perfectly. Then we trade him and immeadiately lose two games (one of them was to the Jazz). We are falling farther behind Utah, and Seattle is back up there with us (they won today).

How would we be in a worse state?</div>

Why do you make arguments like that when you know there's an incredibly obvious explanation: the players Portland acquired haven't played yet. Can't fool everybody...

Oh nm they just played today haha... oh well you're generally not supposed to win the first game out of a mid-season blockbuster trade anyway.

13. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

It was kind of expected that they would lose the last game with Wallace gone and still not having Shareef and Theo. It wasn't surprising that they lost this 2nd game either, they just got there and probably haven't even practiced yet. In about two weeks ago you guys will see a much better team, it'll just be a matter of time until you guys start making a ralley for that playoff spot.

14. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ANiMuS:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh nm they just played today haha... oh well you're generally not supposed to win the first game out of a mid-season blockbuster trade anyway.</div>
    I'm glad you edited your post and added that in, because I was about to own you. But way to change your argument by adding the bolded part.

15. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">You really don't know what you are talking about do you? WITH Sheed we had won 7 of 8, and we gelling perfectly. Then we trade him and immeadiately lose two games (one of them was to the Jazz). We are falling farther behind Utah, and Seattle is back up there with us (they won today).

If the team had such good chemistry with Sheed, then why was he traded? C'mon, surely fans can't have that big an oversight that management would shake up a winning team for no good reason.

There are still 30 odd games left this season, and a lot can happen in terms of playoff positions in those 30 games. Portland will be a better team for all of this, no doubt.

16. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dj_premium_plus:</div><div class="quote_post">yea...it also happend when alvin williams was almost traded to boston for danny fortson. alvin failed the physical, and the deal was voided</div>

Boston got canned for that and pulled out of the trade, the medical saga was just a cover-up.

17. nikebasketball

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">There is something wrong with management when there is only 1 player left from when the team went to the western conference finals. </div>

Amen, I mean I'm all for keeping the team's image up but I feel this trade was only due to Sheed's comments earlier in the season and the huge probablity that he was gonna reject any offer from the Blazers and management was just trying to cash the chips in on his value.

I just hate that it occured at the time it did.

I agree with Ruben, that they should have waited until the All Star break.

All I can say is, Isiah, get the Knicks checkbook out and get ready to . . .

(C.T.C) C.ut T.hat C.heck

I really hope that Sheed does'nt settle for an offer from the Hawks in the offseason. [​IMG]

18. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">If the team had such good chemistry with Sheed, then why was he traded? C'mon, surely fans can't have that big an oversight that management would shake up a winning team for no good reason.</div>
    I'm not just being a naive fan. I read an article in the Oregonian that many key players (Mouse in particular) were angry about this trade. His shot was off, and he was put into a leadership role with very little notice.

Management ignored chemistry completely when making this trade. They knew that Sheed wouldn't return, so they ignored the consequences for this season and traded him.

19. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not just being a naive fan. I read an article in the Oregonian that many key players (Mouse in particular) were angry about this trade. His shot was off, and he was put into a leadership role with very little notice.

Management ignored chemistry completely when making this trade. They knew that Sheed wouldn't return, so they ignored the consequences for this season and traded him.</div>

And brought back two squeaky clean guys, one of which is an All Star player in his prime, and the other who was an All Star but pulled out through injury, and adds a fantastic defensive presence (as evidenced by 10 rebounds and 4 blocks on debut). Surely management haven't got it that badly wrong?

I remember hearing the same negative comments about trading Gary Payton last year. Last year of his deal, was unlikely to re-sign, his attitude had caused the team problems in the past and despite his many years of service, they bit the bullet because there was a chance to get more quality back. This is a very similar situation, have some faith in TWO quality players that have come back in this deal.

20. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I don't know what I'm talking about? You seriously think on paper the Blazers aren't better off? I managed to catch the game last night, Ratiff was a beast on defense, blocking shots left right and center. Shareef was attacking the basket, rebounding and hitting the long jumpers. Rasheed was traded for a reason. Clearly Blazers had no future by keeping Rasheed, he wanted out, a new change and so did the Blazers. It takes time for teams for new players to ajust to the system, which was the case last night. Their playoff chances are high with these two players added, they still might not make it but It should be a better chance to get there.

Fact is Rasheed Wallace is a good talent but is a guy who has never lived up to expections. You got way more than you should of got for him, Shareef is one thing but Ratliff as well? that was a steal.

If the Blazers let Sheed play out the season the Blazers would be a lottery team next year, now at least with this trade they can make a push for the playoffs not just this season but next year as well

I will be very surprised if the Blazers become a worse team with this trade.