We got the #3 pick. Discuss the possibilities.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, May 16, 2023.

?

What are you hoping for with this pick?

1. Draft Scoot and keep him

27.6%
  2. Draft Miller and keep him

28.6%
  3. Draft someone else at 3 and keep him (please specify)

3.1%
  4. Trade down, but still draft in the lottery

10.2%
  5. Trade the pick for a starting forward

30.6%
  1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Odd that the comparison for him would be to someone whose game is about as different offensively as one could get. And the Pacers wen to one Finals, lost, and were never heard from again. That is not what I want to trade a #3 Lottery pick for.

BIG Q likes this.
  2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

So two all-NBA players in Dame and Siakam, plus Grant and Sharpe (and MLE) does not turn us into a contender but Scoot could?
    How about if we add
    D
    M
    C

BBert likes this.
  3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

4. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Don't think Portland had Hakeem Olajuwon....

cheesehoff and TBpup like this.
  5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Portland was at the end of their run and were going a different direction. They told Clyde, so he asked to move on. I would hope the same would happen again with Dame. Just wish we had had that same type of run to look back on.

6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I'd consider trading him, but obviously not for such a shitty return.

If we traded him for just about any useful young asset we might have had some more talent on those 2000s teams and have won one or more titles.

7. SharpesTriumph

Pacers were in a lot of deep playoff runs. They went young and took Jermaine over mediocre vets such as Dale Davis. They got young Jackson and Artest and Brad Miller, who gave them chances to contend.

It's an example of going young but with a single old franchise cornerstone vet and still contending. Blazers don't have have to give up on their youth to contend with Dame. In fact, hitting on youth might be the best way to contend with Dame.

It's a much better more realistic blueprint than Lebron Kobe Steph Durant teams. Dame just isn't on those guys level.

8. Irish Trader

Irish Trader Erin go Braugh

Well in blazer history we have only had the third pick once in 2006 for Adam Morrison. Somehow we probably made the best trade ever to get B Roy and Aldridge. It may have been our best trading ever that I can remember. I only hope we can do as well this time with the third pick.

9. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I think the Blazers had the 3rd in 2005 where they traded away from CP3 for Martell

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  10. Portland2014

Portland2014 Well-Known Member

I'm terrified, literally TERRIFIED by the idea that we could trade Scoot/Miller for Anunoby/Siakam

What terrifies me is that 2/3 years from now Anunoby/Siakam could end up being like rich man Covington/Powell and so nothing that gets you close to a championship and meanwhile Scoot/Miller could end up being All Stars on the rise

We MUST take a decision NOW, rebuilding or go all in, STOP keeping the foot in two shoes

Sharpe, Scoot/Miller + the return from a Dame trade would be amazing to start a new chapter

but imagine if we trade Scoot/Miller and Siakam only gives you the boost to qualify to a conference semifinal, two/three years from now Lillard would be on the verge of retiring, Siakam would be nothing to be thrilled about and another franchise would be happy to see Scoot/Miller on the rise to stardome like CP3/DERON years ago

Eastoff, Labinot41, BIG Q and 5 others like this.
  11. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Scoot can potentially turn us into a contender in three or four years, when coupled with a more mature Sharpe and other good young players. He's the best point guard prospect in a while... since Kyrie Irving, probably (maybe Simmons if you considered him a PG coming out of college).

Dame and Siakam and Grant... that's not even close to contender status. Sharpe isn't even a plus-starter level player yet, and his career arc doesn't match up well with that core, who are 32, 29. and 29 years old. They are also due about $110m (assuming Grant gets $26m) in the upcoming year, with the salary cap being around $134m, and the tax level being around $162m. Presumably we'd look to extend Siakam, too, to ensure he doesn't walk. In 2026-27, those three guys might be making $133m combined ($58m for Dame, $45m for Siakam, $35m for Grant) at ages 35, 32, and 32.

That is painting ourselves into a corner, salary-wise, with guys that have no upside... and depending on what it takes to get Pascal, we are in some combination of a bad salary cap situation (due to having Nurk and/or Simons), a lack of size, a lack of depth, and/or a lack of quality young guys (where Sharpe is a decade younger than the core, and we don't have any other prospect of consequence).

I can't believe that anyone thinks this is a good way to build a winning basketball team in the NBA, but I couldn't believe that anyone thought our team would be any good the last couple of years, either, so I guess I just don't understand the power of stubborn optimism.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    No matter how many times I see this argument I still scratch my head over equating team accomplishments with an individual player’s value. How many times has Dame had a contending roster around him? How big of a difference would it have made to the Warriors’ titles if Dame had been switched for Steph? How many titles has Durant won other than his coattails rides with the Warriors? He’s an undeniably great player, but he’s accomplished zilch with OKC, Brooklyn and now the Suns, yet each of those places he’s had better rosters around him than Dame’s had since LMA abandoned ship. The lack of respect that Dame gets on this, a Blazers forum, is astonishing to me.

BBert and tykendo like this.
  13. Irish Trader

Irish Trader Erin go Braugh

Disagree Martell was a sixth pick 3rd was Deron Williams Utah

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  14. Portland2014

Portland2014 Well-Known Member

thank god there's somebody who sees things as they are...

BIG Q likes this.
  15. SharpesTriumph

Sounds like the first round and out typical Blazers mediocrity.

It's crazy how many fans want this because of some regret we haven't given Dame better talent. Like we have to throw away Shaes future, just because we failed in the past.

16. Ed O

Yep... we had Sebastian Telfair and traded away from Chris Paul (who was, to me and many at the time, an amazing PG prospect) and Deron Williams (who actually went a pick ahead of Paul, and obviously had a nice career).

It was a ridiculous trade at the time and trading away from Scoot now would be perhaps even more stupid (depending on what we got for trading the pick).

17. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Honestly, if we could do that again and get that for Clyde, I'd be all in. He's over 60 now....pretty good return.

18. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Trade Partner: Jazz

Acquired: 6th pick (Martell Webster) and 27th pick (Linas Kleiza), 2006 first round pick (Joel Freeland)

Sent out: 3rd pick (Deron Williams)

--

I was right, the Blazers had the 3rd pick in 2005, not 2006. I remembered it as CP3 because he was available at the 3rd pick, not my fault Utah was stupid to select Deron over CP3.

SharpesTriumph and Ed O like this.
  19. Ed O

Irish Trader and SharpesTriumph like this.
  20. SharpesTriumph

Actually Blazers had 4 that year but traded up for 2 to get Aldridge.

3 was year we traded away from CP3 for Webster.