We got the #3 pick. Discuss the possibilities.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, May 16, 2023.

?

What are you hoping for with this pick?

1. Draft Scoot and keep him

27.6%
  2. Draft Miller and keep him

28.6%
  3. Draft someone else at 3 and keep him (please specify)

3.1%
  4. Trade down, but still draft in the lottery

10.2%
  5. Trade the pick for a starting forward

30.6%
  1. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Cronin is getting his marching orders from the Vulcans and will be on the phones. If the Blazers are for sale, what is worth more to a new prospective owner;

1. A roster with aging vets and a bloated salary cap with no cap space or first round draft picks?

Or

2. A roster with some great youth and salary cap flexibility and all of your first round picks and possible picks from trading Dame and/or Simons?

I like option two.

TBpup, Kell, cheesehoff and 3 others like this.
  2. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Are you asking me that? Or him?

I posted several points about the future with trading Scoot for Siakam, saying it was a dead end. I also said that with Scoot we can potentially be a contender in 3 or 4 years.

Then he asked me if Scoot "is going to" make us a contender in three years.

He didn't make any points otherwise in his post that are at all relevant, given we don't know what will happen in three or four years.

3. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Let's say players have one absolute unit of value. It doesn't exist, of course, but let's say it does.

Let's say we can choose between two players, and over the next 8 years they have the following value scores:

Player A:

Player B:

Assuming (again, it's a thought experiment) that those are true values to the team, most teams and fans would prefer to have Player B... he's basically worthless the next two years, and then is better than Player A at any point for six more years.

But Dame would probably prefer Player A, wouldn't he? He's not going to be playing until he's 40, presumably, and he wants to win now. I don't blame him for any of that, but he's not the GM and he shouldn't be the GM because he has his own interests (with a shorter runway) rather than those of the franchise (or the GM) in mind.

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Thumbs up.

BassPlaya likes this.
  5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

I don't know how Hornets pass BPA in Scoot just because of Ball (not a Superstar IMO).

42N8Bounce and BBert like this.
  6. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I potentially will win the Lotto. Potential is, until it isn't. If the Blazers are able to add a talent like Siakam, or Bridges to pair up with Dame, along with the other moves Cronin and his Staff will make, the future becomes much brighter. And a potential contender. I think banking on players that have proved they can, is better than doing the same on unproven youngsters . Youngsters, if they become stars, might be more apt to move on to brighter lights sooner, than later.

7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

This seems pretty simple

A. The Blazers WILL trade the pick
    B. What teams are in reset mode? What teams have 27-30 year old wings or PFs that are either disgruntled or the team is smarter than us and realizes they should capitalize on their player that doesn’t fit their new timeline

Legit looking for guidance because that would be the type of player we will be targeting

Eastoff likes this.
  8. tykendo

That would mean they've given up on Ball being able to stay healthy. Ball was really coming into his own, before this run of bad luck. I think the Hornets stick beside LaMelo , and get a potential bigtime PF.

9. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

I have to wonder how many people who think Scoot is a can't miss prospect have actually watched a full-game of his...
    Not just the highlight dunks, but a full game.

For Charlotte, I personally think that Ball will top out as a better player than what Scoot will become.

10. tykendo

Toronto & Brooklyn are in transition. Nobody is taking on Simmons ridiculous money with his set of problems . It's the bed they've made. Bridges' play exceled after the trade. That being said, a splashy draft pick like Scoot might be enticing enough to want. Toronto is Wing City. They can afford to move Siakam if they want a younger , potential star, to team with Barnes. OG isn't worth the # 3. He's good, but inconsistent. Ant and the Knicks pick, and maybe a second would be more appropriate. OG does have a tendency to pout. Plus Toronto has to decide if they're going to give max money to Van Vleet.

11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

True, but when was the last time we had two 3rd team All NBA players on our team? I don't consider Siakam who would be 29, 30, 31, and 32 in the next 4 years as aging. If you want to have a 7-year plan with young players....fine but a lot of things can go wrong. Seems like a 3-4 year plan is all we can hope for.
    I will say that a Scoot-Sharpe backcourt intrigues me (along with Dame) but if we do get a good offer for #3 I would take it.

CJ_is_Gone, wizenheimer and tykendo like this.
  12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant

It’s not clear what you mean by saying Dame made 3rd team at age 32. Just to be sure it’s recognized correctly, as you say, Dame did make third team all-NBA this year at age 32. It was his 7th time making an all-NBA team. His first was in 2014 when he was 23.

13. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

really? you're going to die on the hill of "potentially"?

OK... I'll see your 'Portland-can-potentially-contend-with-the-bird-in-the-bush-Scoot-in-the-next-3-4-years" and raise you a "Portland-can-potentially-contend-with-the-Bird-in-the-hand-Dame-in-the-next-3-4-years"

when the gauge is "potentially", nothing is really out of bounds is it

personally, I'd think there is a much better chance (remote) of Portland contending with Brandon Miller than Scoot. Miller has the length and plays the most important position...wing. Of course, drafting Miller can't justify Dame trades like drafting Scoot can

RR7, 42N8Bounce and CJ_is_Gone like this.
  14. tykendo

Plus Dame was on his way to being 1st team all NBA. He got shut down for obvious reasons. The fact he was 3rd team, with missing so many games is pretty telling how good he is still.

Pinwheel1 and e_blazer like this.
  15. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    I quoted you.

You ignored all of this….
    And focused on this…
    And everything he said was very relevant if you don't think so then Ill have to rethink how i take your posts.

16. RonBrewer

RonBrewer Well-Known Member

17. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

One thing I heard mentioned as an idea: #3 for Franz Wagner.

if Scoot is available, Orlando may see him as a better fit to be the lead guard of the future compared to Suggs and Fultz, and is a better fit with Paolo.

they also have their own pick to replace Franz with another wing.

Quatro44 and Pinwheel1 like this.
  18. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

After having a day to process, last night was such a win.

All these trade discussions we're talking about and we haven't even talked about the 23rd pick or trying to get our pick back from Chicago so we can free up future draft capital. We now have the ability to make a move using just our lottery pick AND THEN make another move on top.

Getting top 3 was huge.

19. cheesehoff

cheesehoff Well-Known Member

There will never be a better situation for this team to rebuild than right now. They have one valuable trade piece (the draft pick) and nobody could possibly turn it into enough veteran talent, along with Dame and the current roster, to be contenders. Trading the pick puts the team back in the mediocrity cycle of having no good picks and too many overpaid, under talented players.
    On the other hand, with the draft picks they could get in trading Dame, Ant, etc along with Shae and pick #3, they could absolutely load up on inexpensive young talent. They could finally build a balanced roster with an actual plan for roles. Coming out of this draft with 3 or 4 of Miller, Amen, Ausar, Whitmore, Hendricks, Wallace, Walker, Rupert, Hawkins, Clowney, Lively, Coulibaly, Sasser, Vuksevic would be the best shot this franchise has had, even if its 4, 5 or 6 years away. No they won't be guaranteed all-stars, but this is a chance to get pieces that can fit together to make a team that could contend because this team, along with potential trade targets, won't.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  20. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

So Scoot + Dame ? Seems like a bad fit ?

blazerkor likes this.