We got the #3 pick. Discuss the possibilities.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, May 16, 2023.

?

What are you hoping for with this pick?

1. Draft Scoot and keep him

27.6%
  2. Draft Miller and keep him

28.6%
  3. Draft someone else at 3 and keep him (please specify)

3.1%
  4. Trade down, but still draft in the lottery

10.2%
  5. Trade the pick for a starting forward

30.6%
  1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I worded it wrong. "I am open to trading dame, I just don't trust Joe."

BBert likes this.
  2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

If we get Miller I’d be tempted to keep Dame and trade Simons\Nurk for another piece. If we get Scoot, I think Simons has to go for sure and maybe Dame.

3. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I don't trust Joe, but I'd expect the team should have more assets, picks, and youth if they trade Dame away than if they trade picks away to win now.

It's about setting up the GM for success after Joe.

4. Strenuus

I guess where I'm coming from is I don't trust Joe to make the right trade for Dame. All this to say, I have no control over it so it's gonna be Joe either way (cause it'll probably happen in the next two seasons).

5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

If it were an option, I would have voted for Draft Miller or Scoot and keep him. My hopes don't extend to what other teams do... if they did then I be for drafting and keeping Wemby!

STOMP

6. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I don't know why you felt compelled to repeat yourself. Mama didn't raise dummies I dug your rap. I just think it's totally off-base. I don't see much of a comparison between the two players. I don't think their styles are all that comparable.

Also, I think I need to clarify this: I'm not advocating the Blazers draft Scoot. I'm evaluating his ability, period. If you think trading him for OG Anunoby is a good deal, though, I think you're way off the mark.

7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Just bustin yer balls. Because I care

Strenuus likes this.
  8. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

A lot easier to just root for a different team than it is to "Go get some job skills and increase your income".

9. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I dunno, I've been able to increase income fine. I've never been able to go root for another team. Not sure if it qualifies as a sickness or what, but I've been stuck as a Blazers fanatic since I was in the 3rd grade.

10. Strenuus

I'll push back a little bit: increasing income isnt the hard part, it's keeping up with inflation.

My car got broken into last month, obviously no fault of my own, it got totaled. I was paying $280 a month for that car. Had to get a new car for work and such, $475 a month and $60 a month increase on insurance for a car that's 6 years old. If I wanted a 10+ year old car it'd of still been at least $100 increase.

We're all at different stations and one wrong thing happens and your budget is fucked, and if you need additional skills for additional money that takes time, but inflation is making it so it doesn't care if anything happens to you. And I'm in a job within my career choice with upward mobility. But shit happens and it'd be nice if inflation didn't cripple us at every chance it could.

I went on a rant, totally off topic, but I felt like sharing a different perspective since it recently happened to me at such an inopportune time. Just needed to say my peace, no ill intentions meant.

11. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Trading Dame for Jaylen Brown wouldn't make sense unless we were planning on moving ahead with Ant, Sharpe, Brown, Grant, and #23. Or sign and trade Grant for picks.

I have no interest in sucking for years hoping for more draft luck. Of course, we have Schultz, so maybe we'll get it right this time...

But I see no reason Sharpe shouldn't become an All Star soon. Well before Brown is out of his prime. Ant could probably be close, especially if we're winning.

Then it's just drafting and trading well and crossing your fingers. Just like tanking for draft capital would be.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I didn't put Wemby as an option, because he obviously not an option. So since the question is "what are you hoping for?", and I wanted to keep the options realistic, I listed the realistic possibilities.

Is it really that problematic to specify which of the two you're hoping does to #3?

13. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I imagine that if you have three of the following players: Jaylen Brown on a re-signed five year contract, Shaedon Sharpe with three years left on a rookie deal, and Scoot Henderson on a four year rookie deal, "rebuilding" will take less time than you think.

I'm in disagreement with you that Brown wouldn't re-sign with Dame off the team. The whole "Brown might get traded" thing has been based on reports that Brown wants to be the man on a team rather than be #2/#1A to Tatum. With Dame off the team, Brown is guaranteed to be the #1 option and will be paid like a #1 option. If Brown wants to win, he should just stay in Boston. If he wants to be the #1 option or get paid, Dame for Brown + other assets makes sense. Unless he's shown that being in a big market is his biggest priority, then I agree, Brown to Portland isn't a good option.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  14. sheed30

sheed30 Well-Known Member

#3 and Nurk and filter for KAT I would be down for

15. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

I would feel very down if this is how we use our 3rd pick

Phatguysrule and BankTeller like this.
  16. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

$36,016,200/$49,245,000/$53,184,600/$57,124,200/$61,063,800

That's KAT's salary the next five years. Since 2020, he's played 35, 50, 74, and 29 games. He's also had virtually no playoff success. Why are people here keen on wanting this guy. In the post-Dame era, how will be complete with a maxed out Sharpe making probably around 40m/year while KAT also makes over $50m/year without the guarantee he'll even play over 50 games in any given year?

17. sheed30

sheed30 Well-Known Member

depends on how you look at the current outlook of the team, I want us to not trade out franchise best player and try our best to wing a chip with him. With that said, who says if we keep the 3rd pick we hit a home run? draft picks don't pan out many times, and we dont need to add another young piece if we are trying to win now.

Before you mentioned his games played since 2020, you fail to mention he played 82 games in 3 straight seasons, and 77 the prior one. 2020 was a shorten season 72 games and cramped games in that season. He played 74 games last season, which these days is considered a good thing.

I'm down to keep the 3rd pick if we go youth and trade Dame, but it makes no sense to keep the pick and Dame. It's one or the other

18. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Those two seem the next tier of prospects after VW, but I'll need some more time. Now that Portland's draft position is set, I'll start to go down rabbit holes of videos of the various prospects on the weekends. I do hope that they all at least participate in the measurement portion of the combine as that is often revealing. Btw, I see no reason why Charlotte would flinch at pairing Scoot with LaMello if they deem him to be the better prospect. Clearly one of his best traits is the on ball pressure he provides on D and that is far far from a strength of Ball or Rozier for that matter.

STOMP

HailBlazers and SharpesTriumph like this.
  19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Again I have not seen many Orlando games so I am pretty much basing it off their win in Portland when he went for 29.
    Having said that he made an impression with his ability to attack the basket at 6'10 220. His mobility looked good.
    As you alluded to he looks like a future star (He is 22 in August)

One thing that intrigues me about that trade is we would not be giving up anything else except the pick. I would just as much take a chance on him than Miller.
    But unfortunately, it sounds like the carrot is Scoot, and the more I read the more I think Scoot goes #2.

20. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Actually, no. This is factually dishonest because the cupboard would be bare except for having sharp and squat left because you and others are wanting to trade every conceivable asset the Blazers have to go all in for Dame. You have proposed every pick and pick swap Portland owns to satisfy Dame. Which leaves nothing in a couple years when Sharpe is peaking and he becomes Dame Jr. with a shit team around him. There is no "youth later" in your scenarios.

BankTeller and AngryFan like this.