02-05-2007 Warriors @ Pacers (Tell me how this goes, fellas)

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

It's a road win, and I should be happy for it regardless of individual performance, but... Jackson really showed Pacers by doubling combined output of Dunleavy-Murphy-Diogu-McLeod, and Harrington wasn't also half bad by putting 16 pts. Dunleavy still can't shoot to save himself, and Murphy still can't get on the track. And, other than one game, Diogu has been no factor. Very nice win all around especially when both Davis and Monta are injured...

2. DTKennedy

DTKennedy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">iLL PiLL Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How come Baron didn't play this game? I caught the game later and they never gave a reason</div>

I heard sore knee

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

OMG, we won! I bet people who bet on the Pacers that game were disappointed.

Now, I'm happy. [​IMG]

Playoffs, baby!

(of course I'm kidding, but we never know)

Dunleavy took 9 3-point attempts and only hit 3. I wonder how many of those misses we ran out to beat his butt in transition? I mean we actually won the rebound battle. Murphy gets 16min and Ike gets 10 min??? They probably could have outboarded us and get second chance points, but they didn't. Also, our threes were falling. Thank goodness it was other guys besides Baron shooting the three and not Baron because he always does that crap right off the dribble and that's a low % shot because any shooting off the dribble is difficult to make.

I love it when the other coach just loves guys like Dunleavy. It's fool's gold. Here the other team thinks they're getting a coachable smart player, but little do they realize he can't shoot very well, he's soft, and he's not an incredible playmaker to the point where he can get higher than 3:1 assist to turnover ratio most nights. We probably dunked a few times or blew by him, I bet. If we had a way to take Jermaine O'neil out of the play, we could just expose guys like Dunleavy over and over.

Did Dunleavy play power forward?? He got a lot of rebounds...

4. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

My favorite stat of the game?

Dunleavy 4-15 FG. I'm beaming right now [​IMG]

5. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">My favorite stat of the game?

Dunleavy 4-15 FG. I'm beaming right now [​IMG]</div>

If he didn't suck at shooting, he would have a very good stat-line.

Then again, stats aren't everything. It's about intangibles too. I'm not convinced Dunleavy is half of what Jason Kidd or Grant Hill is.

6. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, if Dunleavy has one thing to rely on in NBA, such as any type of decent jumper or abuse PG in post, he could have very nice career. But then, we sung the same song for last few years, and for some strange reason, his jumper never came, and his post up looked like Fuller posting up against Shaq. It's rather strange that Indiana is actually 6-3 after the trade, and none of our former players played better than here...

7. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Dunleavy missed many wide open shots.... he had a mini surge hitting a few three's ... got his patented flop in drawing a charge but gave it right back charging himself.

This was by far the most inspired sjax has played since his opening night with the dubs.... his quickness was suddenly back.... he was taking it to the hole...even dunking on almost o'neal (he got there just a sec late).

Harrington came out hot.... but once again his lack of hops or skills or something inside was exposed.

Ellis and everyone crashed the boards.... ellis played really well .... until the knee contusion... ugh

barnes once again played like an idiot with his head cut off.... 7 turnovers.... why does he ever have the ball in his hands? but he actually hit a few shots and made a great hustle dive for a loose ball.... the guy isnt a point guard ...give it to a guard moron.

sarunas looked slower than slow....

why AZ didnt get inthe game with Ellis and Baron out i dont get.... sarunas was on the bench and we were letting barnes and jax handle the rock.... get barnes and his turnovers out of there and let AZ run things... at least he plays within himself and relatively smart...

on the flip side :

Murph looked like this seasons version of Murph.... pretty useless
    Dunleavy played like crap all game, but got a little hot towards the end

and Ike

Ike absolutely looked intimidated by Foyle.... yes Foyle!!! Ike twice threw the ball into the crowd in a panic.... I just dont see superstar in this guy like a lot of people do.... he reminds me of Pietrus.... an empty head playing the game.... who panics easily under pressure.. but because of athletic ability has that golden upside and will have occasional good games. Pietrus is slowly playing smarter.... i am sure ike will mature as well.

By the way is PIetrus's nickname amongst his teammates "PETE"? You could hear a lot of what the players were saying on this broadcast ...and they kept calling his name as PEte... It was also funny you could hear one chick loud every time jax or harrington scored cheering em on.... though when jax touched the ball it was like kobe in denver.... the boos rained down.

8. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If he didn't suck at shooting, he would have a very good stat-line.

Then again, stats aren't everything. It's about intangibles too. I'm not convinced Dunleavy is half of what Jason Kidd or Grant Hill is.</div>

I said the same thing earlier.

What was interesting was I saw the Pacer board for the Indy Star newspaper and they were arguing about Dunleavy just like we used to do. One guy thought he sucked and his shooting was terrible and that Stephen Jackson was better than him. Another guy argued, that Dunleavy had a good game, but it was an off shooting night which could happen to the best of players. I think they give consideration for off shooting nights more than we do. He said Dunleavy didn't play tough D which was his only complaint. Sound familiar?

Since you mentioned Jason Kidd, it would be great if we could get him for Baron. It sure looked like the ball was moving better and going inside more to AB with Monta at the helm. Monta also made his outside shots. Baron has his "off shooting nights," but that's like almost every game.

9. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Jason, i think if we were committing to Ellis as our point guard of the future.... that bringing in Jason Kidd would be tremendous not only for mentoring Ellis but might be a better fit for Nellie's running style. Also, I know Kidd's age will turn people off on him, but that is the key.... transitioning Ellis to take over for Kidd

With Baron we will be faced with resigning him or turning the reigns over to Ellis

That is not to say Baron isnt a good fit for Nellie... just that Kidd would get players more involved and have less tendency to force things as an individual

make it happen

10. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Did anyone download the game for me? I could have watched, but I had a Microbiology and Gross Anatomy to study for...

11. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

We're definitely still in the PO hunt. Luckily the Nuggets, T'Wolves, and Clippers aren't doing that well so even despite our slump we're still right there. We're sitting at the 9 spot in the west now with Minnesota a half game back, we have to win in Minny to get a decent cushion on them. The Nuggets are a game and a half ahead of us in the 8th spot and the Clippers are a half game ahead of them. Its still an uphill battle, we'd probably have to be close to .500 on the road the rest of the way and do very well at home and hope that none of those teams go on a tear down the stretch.

If we keep rebounding and defending like we've been the last few games its a realistic goal.

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I said the same thing earlier.

What was interesting was I saw the Pacer board for the Indy Star newspaper and they were arguing about Dunleavy just like we used to do. One guy thought he sucked and his shooting was terrible and that Stephen Jackson was better than him. Another guy argued, that Dunleavy had a good game, but it was an off shooting night which could happen to the best of players. I think they give consideration for off shooting nights more than we do. He said Dunleavy didn't play tough D which was his only complaint. Sound familiar?

Since you mentioned Jason Kidd, it would be great if we could get him for Baron. It sure looked like the ball was moving better and going inside more to AB with Monta at the helm. Monta also made his outside shots. Baron has his "off shooting nights," but that's like almost every game.</div>

Yeah, I guess both sides were getting players that wouldn't change much... BTW, I like the idea of Jason Kidd, but I worry about his shooting ability. He can rebound, which is nice, but as he gets older he may be a shell of his former self. Take a look at The Glove. Man that guy was really not the same after the Sonics.

13. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

To our advantage the Pacers let Nellie dictate the matchups and Indy went semi-small,so Murphy-Diogu were not in enough to tip the scales on rebounding. Murphy had been getting about 10 boards a game recently.

Clearly,Nellie's not real happy with Cabbages,Ellis went out and for most of the late game Barnes-Pietrus were (sort of) point guards.

Foyle played great. His per minute numbers were impressive-and in this case-it was enough minutes to matter. It also resulted in Biedrin not being worn down and half speed.

14. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

As for Jason Kidd,he's 34 in about a month and while I love watching him,I agree that at that age he may decline a lot pretty soon. That his contract hits $20 mill is another factor.

Kidd does a lot of stuff well. Possibly when he loses a step,he might be defending SG's or even SF's....and if we had him,Pietrus-Ellis in the lineup-that is doable.

Baron for Kidd....there's a salary gap. If the Nets took Jackson and sent us Hassan Adams,sent us a future pick in 2010 to offset the age difference....I'd say it MIGHT work. Going with the probabilities...I'd tend to stick with Baron.

15. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Surprise, surprise. I had no idea this was coming. Turned it on with 9 mins left and the Warriors up by 16. Normally, that's "game over baby" but with these guys, its just 2 3's and the other teams back in the game. Luckily they held steady (even with Pietrus bringing the ball up? I said WTF?) Warriors won because S-Jax played one of his better games and the Pacers shot 35%. I'm still worried because Harrington goes 6-17, which means 3-14 after he hit his first 3; that's awful. I like his aggressiveness but he's got to play more under control.

As CR2 writes, I long for the more fundamental basketball, not just jack and shoot. In my run last night, its amazing how much the court opens up when you just swing the ball to the weakside. Unfortunately, even the NBA'ers don't see it, especially not the Warriors (Suns do, triangle offense does).

16. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Surprise, surprise. I had no idea this was coming. Turned it on with 9 mins left and the Warriors up by 16. Normally, that's "game over baby" but with these guys, its just 2 3's and the other teams back in the game. Luckily they held steady (even with Pietrus bringing the ball up? I said WTF?) Warriors won because S-Jax played one of his better games and the Pacers shot 35%. I'm still worried because Harrington goes 6-17, which means 3-14 after he hit his first 3; that's awful. I like his aggressiveness but he's got to play more under control.

As CR2 writes, I long for the more fundamental basketball, not just jack and shoot. In my run last night, its amazing how much the court opens up when you just swing the ball to the weakside. Unfortunately, even the NBA'ers don't see it, especially not the Warriors (Suns do, triangle offense does).</div>

Amen, brother! Our 3point % and rebounding was nice, but I agree it's been inconsistent all year long. Especially with our defense and how we just get tired running it up all the time.

Plus, Baron is hurt now, which was predictable... I think we can do the same without him if he's just going to jack stuff up and nobody is moving for him. I'm not sure if he's supposed to call plays, but he should.

I have to say I love the wide open three ball, but players can take that shot anytime they want. They just have to be a better player and not be a Derek Fisher type guy that just absolute misses everything once he picks up the dribble and launches it. I agree with you and I think we should do more weakside type plays, and get some side to side motion so we can just get those layups and midrange shots going. Everyone has to move though, not just one or two players. If it's too hard for these guys to understand complex situations then we won't win.

I think some of these guys have natural bball instinct, now they have to learn how to play together and do some teamwork. BTW I've still given up on Pietrus... man... If we pay him Trenton Hassell money, that would be a steal and a desirable contract for other teams.

17. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">BTW I've still given up on Pietrus... man... If we pay him Trenton Hassell money, that would be a steal and a desirable contract for other teams.</div>

As with basketball skill (ie. dribbling, shooting, passing) it can always be improved with practice. Why can't stupidity be fixed also? We need some program to make Pietrus a smarter guy. He has the physical capabilities and great attitude of a good player, the guy just has a brain with no wrinkles.

18. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    With Baron out and Montay going down in the game, they were forced to move the ball around. Indiana missed a ton of shots which led to easy transition baskets. I wish they'd put that much effort into Defense and pushing the ball every game.

19. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">CohanHater Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">With Baron out and Montay going down in the game, they were forced to move the ball around. Indiana missed a ton of shots which led to easy transition baskets. I wish they'd put that much effort into Defense and pushing the ball every game.</div>

Transition baskets are easy to get when your opponent is Dunleavy shooting 4-15 [​IMG]

20. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Amen, brother! Our 3point % and rebounding was nice, but I agree it's been inconsistent all year long. Especially with our defense and how we just get tired running it up all the time.

Plus, Baron is hurt now, which was predictable... I think we can do the same without him if he's just going to jack stuff up and nobody is moving for him. I'm not sure if he's supposed to call plays, but he should.

I have to say I love the wide open three ball, but players can take that shot anytime they want. They just have to be a better player and not be a Derek Fisher type guy that just absolute misses everything once he picks up the dribble and launches it. I agree with you and I think we should do more weakside type plays, and get some side to side motion so we can just get those layups and midrange shots going. Everyone has to move though, not just one or two players. If it's too hard for these guys to understand complex situations then we won't win.

I think some of these guys have natural bball instinct, now they have to learn how to play together and do some teamwork. BTW I've still given up on Pietrus... man... If we pay him Trenton Hassell money, that would be a steal and a desirable contract for other teams.</div>

Watching Baron more and more, I give him credit for getting others involved. I just think he's more of a scorer than the traditional PG (Kidd, Nash) so he gets antsy and wants to shoot, just to shoot.

Pietrus is a lost cause I think. Here's one of the most gifted athletic players on the team and he's become a stand still 3 shooter (not a very good one either). Where's the slashing Pietrus that showed some flashes last year? He seems to have improved his rebounding but that's the only area of improvement I've seen. And the FT shooting? What is that? I'm all for cutting the cord.

I hope Baron's back for Friday night when I get to see the Warriors take on the Bulls.