|0fficial|Meyers The Terrible

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

Some fan you are... you can't even tell the difference between Leonard and Aminu!:tsktsk:

2. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Great Point. Real opportunity lost not having a big man coach for him.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    At least he's a trade asset. Young big men who can shoot are highly valued.

Any day now.

Nikolokolus and SlyPokerDog like this.
  4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Hes sucks so bad he makes baby Satan cry

Jade Falcon likes this.
  5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Was it, though? If I'm running a company and one of my employees blurts out my company's strategy in a careless manner to a media person and affects my leverage in future decisions, I really don't think it's all that unjust.

Sure the writing was on the wall, but this wasn't just a minor transgression that could have been swept under the rug.

But besides the point, if Kim Hughes is the difference between Meyers becoming a legit starter vs a fringe D-Leaguer, by all means hire the man back.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Oh, it absolutely was a minor transgression, for the very reason you stated--the writing was already on the wall, so the impact on leverage was minimal. Further, it's not as though he had demonstrated a repeated persistent inability to keep sensitive information under wraps; he was fired over a one-time incident. And regardless of the nature and the severity of the transgression, the organization as a whole was (arguably) harmed significantly more by his termination than by anything he said, and the holistic impact of any decision should be weighed, and doesn't appear to have been.

Yes, I believe wholeheartedly that his firing was unjust, unreasonable, and unintelligent. If they could reverse it, I believe they would.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Really highlights Meyers' mental frailty than anything else imo.

8. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng

thats the point....

it so obviously isnt everything to him.

he doesnt seem phased by his performance, stats, or impact on the game to any great degree.

also that's a pretty bs comparison with lebron, lebron is still lebron on the court -and meyers, is still fuckin horrible on the court.

u ever seen anything close the amount of drive on a bball court from meyers to even put him in the same sentence as lebron re basketball? im fine with a it not being all he does if he is the caliber of player that warrants the notion BUT meyers sucks to all fuck at bball AND is dismissive of it.

the truth is this

"Basketball is what I'm paid to do. I'm pretty shit at it and have no idea how I got this contract based off 5yrs of disappointment. It's not who I am. I'm so much more."

again.

fuck him.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I just want to cut and paste this post and fill up a dozen threads with it....well said Homer

Dougnsalem likes this.
  10. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Yes. And it shouldn't be. It shouldn't be everything to anyone. They should take their job seriously, but it is just a job.

Hmm? I didn't put him in the same sentence in terms of basketball ability. I mentioned James to point out that even a great player like James probably wouldn't want to be defined purely by basketball. I completely understand why Leonard wouldn't want to. It doesn't make sense to say, "Leonard's not a good NBA player, so he doesn't get to define himself as a human beyond basketball."

I don't know, I think you have a weird amount of rage about Leonard not being good relative to the NBA. Some NBA players have to be "bad" (by NBA standards). It doesn't make them evil people.

11. BlayZa

Media/Advertisng

it's more like a massive amount of rage of how fuckin pointless and detrimental he is to the team. our team. my team.

his irrelevance to the wider league is inferred by proxy.

re the james part, even if james is doing other things and isnt defined by bball, he is still arguably the best player on the planet still.

we...... we have meyers leonard.

love doing shit outside bball? fantastic, retire n go do it.

12. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Yeah, but that's not really his fault. He just applied for the job--the Blazers not only decided to hire him but also hand him a huge raise. I don't think anyone in his place would turn it down, nor should they. So I guess that I'm saying is that your anger is misdirected--if you're really upset about his presence on the team, you should be angry at Olshey, not Leonard.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    When I watch Meyers out there, I see a screwed up coach. What the hell, you want your biggest guy to only shoot the three ball? Now why the hell would this be? Some days he is good at it, others eh! It seems to be the only play they run for him and giving the ball to Meyers then is an after thought.

Damn man, even McMillan was smart enough to run pick n roll with Priz. It was damn near pretty with Joel and Nick Vanx.
    Meyers is way more athletic than Joel. Shit I imagine a good coach would even do better than McMillan with assets.

Oh I forgot, we don't have guard that knows that play anymore. Is that coach too?
    Well there is next year.

BBert likes this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Now that's Plumlee and Turner....used to be Batum and Rolo..passing is not a strong suit of our team at all

BBert likes this.
  15. BlayZa

Media/Advertisng
    as much as id love to have you think and feel things for me, im good - i know exactly what i think and who im angry with.

obviously olshey was a dick to sign him, but the performance he puts in on the court is on him. a 7' guy that seems allergic to rebounds and anything useful but is hooked on brick 3's like a fat kind loves cake.

u can still be a bad player, but its just even more bs considering he's a big man with a terrible guards skillset.

remember he also turned down the extension contract to 'bet on himself' in free agency then got injured and regressed and we STILL signed him, yes olshitty should get lashes for that, but he plays on our team, like he does, and isn't defined by that, or apparently able to be measured by that. its just fuckery and arrogance of a player that never appears so 'prideful' yet is complete trash.

contract - bad
    signing - bad
    skills - bad
    value - bad
    meyers - leonard

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Shooting the ball from the perimeter appears to be the only skill Meyers possesses at an NBA level. He's had five years of off-season workouts to add other things and he hasn't. Maybe you can partially blame the coaches, but there's a reason he slipped to 11th in the draft; he barely played at Illinois and was far from a pro-ready prospect coming out. Neil took a gamble that he'd grow into the role and that just hasn't happened (and probably never will, given how far along he is in his career -- or maybe his shoulder still isn't right?).

As for running the pick and roll, Damian and CJ are not exactly sublime passers and when they do call for a pick, it's almost always to give them an open perimeter shot or a lane to drive to the hoop (Damian more so than CJ). Maybe that's partially on Stotts too, but the fact is that Meyers plays much smaller than he is on offense. It's kind of hard to justify running designed plays to get him on the roll to the hoop when there are higher percentage plays to be had . . . particularly when Meyers has proved to be so unreliable that he racks up DNP-CDs, never mind even sniffing the starting job.

17. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    So Leonard is an asshole for not being as talented as you want him to be. Clearly Leonard is choosing to be less talented just to fuck you over. Sounds reasonable.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  18. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    No, I don't buy this as a fact because it hasn't been tried. So we don't know if works or not. If it doesn't work when tried then what you say is true. Either there is more game to make use of Leonard and expand his confidence, or he is not good enough. If it is the latter, he doesn't belong on the floor. The coach is currently dithering.

19. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

Meyers can't catch the ball on the move.
    He can barely catch it in the post, with no post move to utilize.
    Thinking of him as a potential pick and roll guy is not realistic.

riverman and Nikolokolus like this.
  20. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

You don't think the coaches can see what he can or can't do in practice or in training camp? The guy just isn't playing at an NBA caliber level, he's regressed massively from whatever level he seemed like he might have reached a couple of years ago. Running set plays for a guy with a sub 8 PER is not what I would call "good coaching." Sometimes guys just suck. Don't feel bad it happens to most of the guys that have the misfortune to be born 7'1", white and American.