1/8 knicks articles

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by jbbKnicks, Feb 8, 2003.

1. jbbKnicks

jbbKnicks JBB JustBBall Member

GIVE CHANEY MEGA KUDOS http://nypost.com/sports/knicks/30150.htm
    February 8, 2003 -- BY the start of the fourth quarter Thursday night, you'd have expected Don Chaney's Knicks to be thinking about sipping pina coladas on a Caribbean beach, playing video games with their kids, getting out of the Garden as fast they could. That's what last season's Knicks would've been thinking with the All-Star Break on the horizon and the Lakers prancing about with a 30-point lead. Last season's club would've worn those hangdog looks, shoulders slumped. But these Knicks showed something Thursday night that was just as impressive as Shaquille O'Neal's rim-bending dunks and the off-balance, falling-to-the-floor jumpers by Kobe Bryant. They showed Knick pride. Heart. Guts. Resiliency. The Knicks took the Lakers' best punches, got knocked down to the floor countless times and still got up to fight again. The Lakers' talent level is in a different stratosphere than the Knicks' - but it was Bryant who desperately wanted the clock to run out at the end of the Knicks' 41-17 blitz, which let the Lakers escape with a 114-109 win. "We just ran out of time," the Knicks' Kurt Thomas said. The Knicks didn't pull off a miraculous comeback. Despite being 21/2 games out of a playoff spot, they won't make the playoffs because 21 of their final 34 games on the road. But Thursday confirmed again Chaney is no longer the substitute teacher he was last year. This year, Chaney has pressed the right motivational buttons, has steered the Knick ship through turbulent preseason waters, has done as good a coaching job as anyone in the East. "I don't think it's fair to compare last year and this year because he came in under such extreme negative circumstances," Allan Houston said, referring to Chaney's ascension after Jeff Van Gundy's stunning resignation. "It was a no-win situation last year. It's comparing apples and oranges. Even this year people really didn't want to give him a chance. But he's done a tremendous job of preparing us." He has injected confidence in Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley, once lost souls. He has Latrell Sprewell playing as unselfishly as he has in his entire career. He even has Sprewell showing up on time. When Sprewell returned from the injured list, most coaches would've promptly pulled Anderson from the starting lineup. Chaney made Sprewell wait a game. Anderson, whom Chaney knows to be sensitive, appreciated the gesture. When Charlie Ward returned from an injury, Chaney moved unconventionally again, keeping Eisley in the starting lineup, not wanting to disrupt his rhythm. Eisley and Anderson are the Knicks' two most improved players. "He still doesn't yell but he's more direct," Thomas said of Chaney. "It's been all positives." With a training camp, Chaney knew he could be a much better leader than last season, during the 30-52 debacle. The Knicks achieved their 21st victory Tuesday. Last season they didn't win No. 21 until March 1. "I wasn't mentally prepared to take the head-coaching job last season," Chaney admitted candidly. "It was a difficult adjustment going from assistant to head coach after [six years]. You need a gameplan, and now I know what buttons to push on certain players." Laker coach Phil Jackson can diminish the Knicks' fourth quarter all he wants. But the Knicks wiped off Jackson's smirk in the final 12 minutes, turned it into a worried frown. And Chaney has wiped off his laid-back label. The Knicks may not win more than once on their six-game Western trip that begins Friday. But they're not quitting on Chaney this season.

Houston gets an apology

By FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Allan Houston's right wrist is still sore, but his pride, according to Danny Ainge, should not be wounded.
    Yesterday, Ainge said he was only joking when he suggested that Houston sat out the second half of Thursday's loss to the Lakers because the Knick came down with a case of "Kobe-itis."

Houston, in fact, jammed his right wrist in the first half and did not return.

At the start of the fourth quarter Ainge said:

"This is another thing great players do. Kobe Bryant, we already know what his numbers are, 40 points. Look at Allan Houston. He's in the locker room because he doesn't want to play. Kurt Thomas has two points and is 0-for-3 because he's put so much energy into defending Shaq. That's the other thing (the Lakers) do. They get in the heads of their opponents."

When reached yesterday in Atlanta, where he is attending All-Star Weekend, Ainge tried to explain his remarks.

"I can see how someone would take that the wrong way but it was meant as a joke," Ainge said. "I'm a big fan of Allan Houston's. I would never question his character. I apologize if anyone took it the wrong way."

Ainge added that he hopes to clear up the matter with Houston, who is also in Atlanta for several All-Star events.

After Thursday's game, Houston expressed some disappointment when a reporter informed him of Ainge's on-air comments. However, Houston said he would withhold judgment until he heard a tape of the comments.

The media, including TNT, were made aware of the fact that Houston suffered a bruised right wrist and would not return for the second half. Houston also has a sore big toe and sore back.

"That's why I said that Kobe has a history of sending a lot of guys to the locker room," Ainge said. "Whenever a player is injured and can't play against the Lakers, I'll say that guy has Shaq-itis. It's only a joke."

X-rays of Houston's injury were negative and he hopes to play in Wednesday's game against Golden State. He suffered a similar injury during the 2000 Olympics and missed four days. The Knicks return to practice on Tuesday.

Houston was en route to Atlanta yesterday and unavailable for comment.