10 LEAST valuable NBA contract includes three Blazers.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by oldfisherman, Mar 25, 2017.

1. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Plus, it's kind of an odd list. Yeah, deals are going to be considered worse if they're longer, so Ezeli's money for nothing is "better" than Turner's contract that we get something out of. I get that. And big money deals are generally "worse" than smaller bets. I got it.

But with the inherent biases of a) long-term and b) big-money, you're limiting the field to basically the teams who had huge cap room last year. You're looking at BKN, DAL, MIA, LAL, NYK, PHI, us and WAS. Lessee: Noah (NYK), our 3 guys, Plumlee (MIL making room), Mozgov and Deng (LAL), Parsons (DAL), Mahinmi (WAS). Hm, did I cover it? Shocking that only the teams that had big money last year and spent it before it went away made the list. Now, say what you will about pinning hopes on FA (I'm not a huge fan), but I like that we matched our own RFA and got a big-ish 2nd-tier player.

Since I'm thinking about it, I just saw that Bosh is signed for 3/75.8M on a contract that may be Roy-esque by the time it's done. Yeah, I'd probably rather pay Crabbe. Insurance money never works out.

Next up: a list of the 10 biggest junk stat players. Because most people bias "junk stats" towards PER and losing records, we'd probably have at least 2 (maybe 3 with nurk) on the list. Doesn't mean they're not good players, it means the biases inherent in the poll/question trend toward a conclusion that is open to hawt takes.

EDIT: Similar to the "what's the difference between a good haircut and a bad one? 3 days!" joke, the difference between this list and this list in 12 months will be that there's been another FA cycle in between. Reggie Jackson? RoLo? Wessy Wes? Danny Green? Those were hated upon until this summer.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Crabbe is earning his contract, imo. We would be awful without him. We play our best basketball when he is involved. As for Meyers, it's sad. His rookie season was possibly his best. He did have a good playoffs in 2015. Maybe he's a big time player and will come up huge in the playoffs this year. Some here said we missed him against the Warriors last year.

Po'sFinest and oldfisherman like this.
  3. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Crabbe has the exact same contract as Jimmy Butler. Both players have three years remaining, with almost identical $ amounts each year. Both have player options for the last year. However, I would guess Butler will opt out, and Crabbe will not.

What a difference a year makes. Butler signed a max deal one year earlier before the cap was flooded with TV money. And a backup got all-star money the following year.

dviss1 likes this.
  4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I've never missed Meyers.

5. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Since we are paying certain players marginally more than they are worth. That must be PDX thing then: Lack of Nightlife Tax, Boring Hipster Encroachment Fee, This Place Sucks Assessment

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

He keeps cumming back here for more tho, we are the long dicked side dude of forums.

7. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    parson should be #1 for sure, but make no mistake if meyers was getting paid anything higher he'd move up accordingly. he has true #1 potential.

it's a worry though, all 3 of our 'major' signings (and i use that pretty loosely) are terrible in one way or another.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  8. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    i wonder if some of the reason that Noah is #1 is that he's fallen so much further relatively than where others are performance wise?

like, next to nobody thought that noah deal was terribad, yet just about everyone thought the parsons deal was bad to start with - kinda the same situation with meyers in some regards

9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It's a poll of the fans... I'm sure most of them have forgotten he is even still playing.

H.C. likes this.
  10. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

These people have obviously not been educated by Denny Crane at what brilliant contracts these were by Neil Olshey.

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

They're also not suckin on the Blazers' teet like Denny Crane.

12. BrianFromWA

um, everyone I read or have talked to thought that deal was a "WTF?!" deal. SI thought so, (twice), CBS thought so, our board thought so. Hell, Bill Simmons chimed in:

dviss1 and Charcoal Filtered like this.
  13. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    The fact that Leonard Myers isn't #1 makes it bullshit.

Nate likes this.
  14. Sinobas

Really? Crabbe might be a starter on a bad team, he's an above average bench player, but he's being paid like a star. Look at the guys around him on the salary scale. And Meyers...yeah, I remember that someone said we missed him against the Warriors last year....who was that? Oh yeah, it was DummyMcDumbDumbs49.

15. Sinobas

They're also not Neil Olshey like Denny Crane is.

16. BrianFromWA

He's being paid like he would be the #1 option on a bad team,which, hey, that's what his contract was signed for by the other team.

17. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Kent Bazemore
    Cody Zeller (not sure how well he's playing, but he's making $61 mil)
    Victor Oladipo
    Steven Adams

18. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    The thing is, he'd be even worse surrounded by less offensive talent. He doesn't have any talent in creating his own shot, nor does he even have aggression as a shooter when shots are created for him. Passive and unable to create for himself or others--he's a #4 on a bad team. Paid like a #1 on a bad team. Yeah, he's earned his way onto any list of awful contracts, in my opinion.

WillG likes this.
  19. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I think Charlotte has more bad contracts than anyone in the league.
    5 players on that team have albatross contracts, who all run through the 2020 season.

20. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Bazemore is already on that list.

For the other 3 they are really good players and their new contract hasn't kicked in yet so they ll be judged on them next year. Starts next season and Zeller's is a really good value contract under the new cap. Oladipo might not be a difference maker, but is not a bust, he is decent in both ends and has still room for improvement.

Adams contract might seem really high, but with the lack of decent big men you cannot find many better ones with less money and he is not even 24. And he has improved a lot on the offensive end, some decent post moves(far from elite level, but he can contribute) while on defense he is really really good and would be better if the pnr defense was not collapsing because of Westbrook not guarding his man.

I believe the list is pretty accurate. Of course everyone has his own ideas of bad contracts and maybe there are some around the league that are worse, but you cannot really say that any of those in the list is a good contract.

As someone mentioned Tyler Johnson and his 4/50 I believe it's a really good contract, but it can cause cap problems because of its structure (20M the last 2 years).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017